20 Minute Video Demonstration Of Elderscrolls 4: Oblivion!

SidewinderX said:
Then say "the elder scrolls sereis was never much for Total Conversions". There are some for it though.
Becuase today it seems that simply adding a new item to a game is just adding content and not really modifying the games mechanics or gameplay much at all.

WhiteZero said:
Becuase today it seems that simply adding a new item to a game is just adding content and not really modifying the games mechanics or gameplay much at all.

Who said they have to be mechanic or gameplay modificiations. Adding new content IS modifying the original game.

Quit arguing this stupid fact. Whoever mentioned that Morrowind was lacking in mods was wrong, and anyone with an oppinion otherwise should listen to me.

This conversation...is over.

AMD3500 and soon 2 gigs of ram and 6800 OC that will run it right???

/me hopes

Bohonkie said:
Who said they have to be mechanic or gameplay modificiations. Adding new content IS modifying the original game.

Quit arguing this stupid fact. Whoever mentioned that Morrowind was lacking in mods was wrong, and anyone with an oppinion otherwise should listen to me.

This conversation...is over.
Just who do you think you are exactly?
-.-
I dont appreciate the Thought Police here.
I'm expressing my opinion on what MODing means to me.

Watch ur tounge from now on, little guy.
How about you waddle back to the Music forum, eh?
kuso gaki...

WhiteZero said:
Do you know the kind of mods out there for MW?

Replacement textures at 3x the resolution for the whole game

a mod that allows you to chop down the tree's, mine rocks, craft just about any item in the game

New armor and weapons

Bank mods, Daggerfall fans loved getting this back

new wildlife mods, adding all kinds of animals to the world and birds flying about in the sky

new quest mods, a few involving large battles, some just simple

new towns

new terrain + quests and places to explore

tons of house mods, since you can own property in MW you can buy all these homes, or steal them

castles that can either contain quests and unique items, or can eventually be bought. Like the very impressive castle mod that sat above Balmora

Mods that were used for positioning books, weapons, armor etc. etc. rather than just dropping them in whatever position they'd drop

A book mod that let you decide how it was placed, closed, laying down, open, standing, open at an angle (for placing correctly on stands)

new spell mods

atmospheric audio mods that turned the great sound into amazing sound

windows glow mod, it made the windows in buildings light up from the outside at night, and glow from the inside during the day

lighting mods that improved the day/night effect outside, and the lighting used indoors

NPC mods from the mundane to adding children and many random characters in towns and around the area

Pet mods, one petshop mod basically gave you the ability to have a pet of any creature in the game

New character faces, improving the look dramatically

New body mods, refining the characters bodies to be more realistic looking

Vampire mods that would take the basic implimentation of Vampirism and improve many times on it, Making it an interesting way to play the game

Lycanthropy mods improving on the whole wearwolf parts of the game

mods that improve combat from the basic default kind into letting you dismember enemies, use combo's, damage armor, knock weapons from hands and steal them, slow motion attacking, changes to the way the leveling and health occurs to make the game harder for high level players and so on

Improved pathing mods

Mount mods

the list goes on and on and on.. Those MODIFY the game.

Spicy Tuna said:
AMD3500 and soon 2 gigs of ram and 6800 OC that will run it right???

/me hopes
Here's what Bethesda says about it

Look at the date of the article. That is after the 7800GTX came out.
I would think that you should still be able to play it, but it won't look as good as it does in the video.

Do you know the kind of mods out there for MW?
Right right, I got what ur talking about in the last post. You dont need to make a list of doubble-spaced features to try and prove your point.

Like I said, when I think of MOD, I think of like the Middle Earth mod for Morrowind. Not just improvemnts/addons to the current game. Thats what I was refering to in my first post.

You may get off your soap-box now.
:)

WhiteZero said:
Right right, I got what ur talking about in the last post. You dont need to make a list of doubble-spaced features to try and prove your point.

Like I said, when I think of MOD, I think of like the Middle Earth mod for Morrowind. Not just improvemnts/addons to the current game. Thats what I was refering to in my first post.

You may get off your soap-box now.
:)
single spaced

Anyhoo you didn't seem to see the difference so I listed a few that I could remember which seems to have sorted things out now. I haven't looked at the MW mods for about a year I think now, I wonder whats out there these days.. I'll put money on someone having tried to make a mod to make it look like Oblivion :D

It's a shame the tamriel rebuilt mod couldn't have moved on faster, it was pretty well organised (and a great example of how a community type project could work infact) But I'm hoping that Oblivion's engine allows for something similar and they work on that one instead, Should be incredible then.

Let's get back on-topic, please. The video was stunning, and one can forgive the slightly jerky animations when you see the whole Radiant AI mechanisms working in the bookstore. Fantastic stuff.

Axyon said:
Let's get back on-topic, please. The video was stunning, and one can forgive the slightly jerky animations when you see the whole Radiant AI mechanisms working in the bookstore. Fantastic stuff.
Agreed.

I'm trying to decide if I want to try to get a new video card, or just get a 360.
I didnt want to upgrade till next year, which I should probably wait on like I originaly planned. And I'll wind up getting a 360 anyway...
But damn those bundles are expencive..

Axyon said:
I did get back on topic ^^ :p

Anyways it does look great, definately on my christmas list. But I sure as hell wont be buying an XBox to play it. I'd rather live with lower quality graphics than be stuck unable to get any of the stuff that comes after from the TES community.

oh man I may have to get a mobo with a PCIX and a nu grafix card

Definately just upgrading. It'll probably cost less than buying a whole 360 and High Definition TV.

And I cant keep drooling over that stealth of the whole thing. It just looks great.

This game looks great however Im rather dissapointed with the character/npc movement it doesnt look smooth at all.

This game looks great however Im rather dissapointed with the character/npc movement it doesnt look smooth at all.
Im guessing it will be smooth in-game, just the video is a bit jerky.

Minerel said:

I would like to think its just the video however I doubt it is considering that all other movement in-game seemed smooth except for character movement, also morrowind was like this as well.:|

Minerel said:

I believe he's talking about when the characters rotate. Basically their feet slide, rather than have their feet planted and twist. So when a character turns around, it's like they magically rotate around, without their body showing they are turning.

This hopefully (but doubtfully) will be fixed in the final version.

I'm for sure getting the PC version of this. I will live with the lower graphics for the sake of mods. I can always upgrade my PC and then get the best graphics and the mods. So in time I will have the best of both worlds :)

However, if M$ finds a way to put mods that work for PC, and allow users on X360 to download and use them, then it will be a toss-up for me. That would be a neat feature, and a great use of the Hard Drive IMHO!

Morrowind suffered from short freezes every few hundred yards as stuff loaded, this looks to be doing the same - was annoying but not such a big deal.

But W.O.W, the game is looking amazing, waited a long time for it and it looks like it's been worth the wait. Glad the music and voices are similar to morrowind - usually i switch off music on fps as it spoils the atmosphere of 'being there' but games like this, good music enhances them.

Bit disappointed with the map jumping, always thought that old zip mode thing was a cop out. but what the hell, as i have the choice i'll be walking it :D
16 square miles of map doesn't seem an awful lot - and only half of that forested. But 200 dungeons is impressive. No mention of other terrain like mountains, shame if there are none, getting to the top of a mountain in morrowind and watching the sun set and the moons track overhead was pretty awesome.

This year, i'll be santa and adding ES4 to my own xmas stocking...

However, if M$ finds a way to put mods that work for PC, and allow users on X360 to download and use them, then it will be a toss-up for me. That would be a neat feature, and a great use of the Hard Drive IMHO!
Only the absolute major mods will be ported if any. And then you also need to buy the $399 one that comes with the HD.
The reason why not every mod can be ported is because well, think of it like this:
You can optimize something for the Pc and it may not work for the Xbox360. The modder would have to change that or bethesda themselves, and figure it out how to work.
Mods can also conflit with eachother. A big reason why people like consoles is because of theres no real hassle with games.

Anyway, lets say you add a sword with the pc version your own model and texture. Now the Console version is EXTREMELY optimized for that graphics card, and that cpu. The pc version is alot differnt, it can't be as optimized for secruity and so it works on every computer. Now, that sword would have to be reoptimized not so it runs smoothly but so the Xbox360 actually understand the optimization commands.

So Bethesda with the modders permission or the modder himself would have to drastically change there mod to get it to work. Why drastically? Because only the bigger mods would be ported. In could also see a $ tag on these mods if Bethesda does it as...well...they have to pay people to do it all.

I would get a 360 to play Oblivion but what makes the game so great after you have played it for a few months is the mods. I am willing to sacrifice graphical superiority for mods.

i fell sorry for that dog. She roasted him, and didn't even bother to eat him...what a waste of food/stat bonuses

Anthraxxx said:
i fell sorry for that dog. She roasted him, and didn't even bother to eat him...what a waste of food/stat bonuses

That was a bizarre bit of AI - I hope it was just some joke they cooked up for the demo, and that people in the final game wont randomly go around frying their pets.

Laivasse said:
That was a bizarre bit of AI - I hope it was just some joke they cooked up for the demo, and that people in the final game wont randomly go around frying their pets.
I doubt she killed it. It was just a little burn spell I thought.

Laivasse said:

Yeah...either that or the lady had better just be a real kook.

She stuns her dog to make it quiet, burns it when that doesn't work....and this is all after practicing archery in her bedroom...

People do crazy things when they are in love.

I dont belive it will be out this year more like march me thinks

Spicy Tuna said:
I dont belive it will be out this year more like march me thinks

lol i hope not i mean this isnt valve we are talking about

SO now the question should be..... Dark Messiah vs. Oblivion?

I just found out an interesting tidbit while browsing the offical Oblivion forums:
It turns out that some of the devs use ATi 9800 Pros for this dev machines.

Which begs the question... just how well dose it run on that?
I'd like to know since I have a 9800.

wow, i was almost done with the DL when i had my firefox updating and it closed my dl....... pwned

Anthraxxx said:
SO now the question should be..... Dark Messiah vs. Oblivion?
Why?
Isn't Dark Messiah a pretty linear fantasy "FPS"?
Or have I gotten everything wrong and is it a huge open-ended RPG ala Oblivion?
Otherwise screw the "Dark Messiah vs. Oblivion".:)

Gargantou said:
I'm getting this for the 360, mmm maxed out quality which me lame comp'd never be able to handle.
Once I get a new comp I'll prolly get it for that tho, and hopefully by then(Late 2k6-Early 2k7) alot of good mods have started coming out for it.:D

agreed :cheers:

It may have been mentioned in the thread already, but this is actually a build from E3. They've had months of improvements to make, and a newer build should be revealed at Microsoft's X05 event in a couple of days - it'll show the X360 version, but the two are practically the same anyway.

Axyon said:
It may have been mentioned in the thread already, but this is actually a build from E3. They've had months of improvements to make, and a newer build should be revealed at Microsoft's X05 event in a couple of days - it'll show the X360 version, but the two are practically the same anyway.
Woooah I can't imagine how they'll improve it over the animations. It just looks perfect even now.

What do you think about the fast travel system? That changes the gameplay a lot. i remember that I used to spend hours in morrowind just walking around in the forest, trying to find something to do. This fast travel system might make things more exciting but it will also be more difficult to stumble upon cool things in your travels. I might travel by foot most of the time anyway.

dlandis72 said:
What do you think about the fast travel system? That changes the gameplay a lot. i remember that I used to spend hours in morrowind just walking around in the forest, trying to find something to do. This fast travel system might make things more exciting but it will also be more difficult to stumble upon cool things in your travels. I might travel by foot most of the time anyway.
Hate it. Stick with Striders IMO.

Of course you don't have to use it - I won't.

dekstar said:
Hate it. Stick with Striders IMO.

Of course you don't have to use it - I won't.

I wont either, unless i can't be bothered... but does this mean that striders dont exist anymore? :(

guchi said:
I wont either, unless i can't be bothered... but does this mean that striders dont exist anymore? :(
Oh god I hope not.

Also what's up with that stupid Persuasion thing? I used to like having the probability that I wouldn't succeed but the new system seems too easy :\

Back