7 Mother-Fing Years

'Redditors' annoy me. They present themselves as the master race of the internet, while they are simply users of a linkdump site.
Oh, I couldn't agree more. I experience frustration and/or fury pretty often reading through threads on reddit. I love the site itself because it's basically a mainline to whatever is currently happening on the internet, but I do NOT associate myself with the opinions and nature of its community. I know what you mean with the master race thing... tbh reddit is just the half-retarded younger sibling of Something Awful (which is the true master race of the internet).
I feel like hl2.net is my online retirement home.
I just sit in the corner full of tubes and pissing into a bag.
I'm practically crying from loling so hard at this metaphor.

Especially since as far as I can tell plenty of us will still be here in 30 years having the same arguments with each other in an increasingly codependent communal internet relationship as we grow old and wizened and our bodies and finally our minds fail. By 2040 we'll just be whining about newfangled vidya games and how our reflexes aren't fast enough to play the latest shooters like all the young whippersnappers, and Stern will be dictating all his posts to some poor nurse at his retirement home because his arthritic hands won't allow him to type.

4 years for me in february...this place seemed to have slowed down quite a bit since I joined but that's normal. Still enjoy you a$$holes.

HL2.net is a barren wasteland compared to 5+ years ago. When HL2 was more current it was probably at least 30 times as active as it is now. I really love how the community has evolved over time - we have a very strong core of regulars from every year of the site's existence, and I think despite how slow the forums are these days compared to the Golden Age we manage to retain a pretty impressive amount of members, even if a lot of them only read and don't post often.

Look at what HL2.net used to look at 7 years or so ago.

Look at it!
Oh man, the memories. I love the classic blue layout from 2003/2004.

wow, just clicking one of the 2004 links randomly and seeing my name on the active users list is kinda sad

The new blue theme of 8/25/2004 was easily the best theme the forum has ever had.

20101014140553capture.jpg

Loved that header.

Those themes are nuts. To think that I came on the very first update to the forum's look! :D I personally think I loved the 2005 version the best, but this current look is my favourite. :D

It's funny, even though you say it's a barren wasteland, the "users online" totals haven't gone down that much. Maybe cut by half, if that.

Especially since as far as I can tell plenty of us will still be here in 30 years having the same arguments with each other in an increasingly codependent communal internet relationship
The airplane takes off, by the way.

Especially since as far as I can tell plenty of us will still be here in 30 years having the same arguments with each other in an increasingly codependent communal internet relationship as we grow old and wizened and our bodies and finally our minds fail. By 2040 we'll just be whining about newfangled vidya games and how our reflexes aren't fast enough to play the latest shooters like all the young whippersnappers, and Stern will be dictating all his posts to some poor nurse at his retirement home because his arthritic hands won't allow him to type.

I hope so. I wuv you guys.

Checking out the old forums is great btw. Too bad you can't look through all the sub-forums. I was trying to find the thread where Spitcodfry visited Valve. Amazing thread that was. It was just before the leak iirc.

When I first saw this theme I was angry, but then I realized that in a few months everyone will get used to it and it'll feel like home again, kind of like when Facebook changed their entire layout a year or 2 ago.

I hope so. I wuv you guys.

Checking out the old forums is great btw. Too bad you can't look through all the sub-forums. I was trying to find the thread where Spitcodfry visited Valve. Amazing thread that was. It was just before the leak iirc.
You know hl2.net doesn't prune... Those posts should still be here.

I was 14 years young. If only I knew then what I know now.

Wow, looking at those old layouts I remembered how much I loved the top banner...

Better than this one in my opinion.

I was 14 years young. If only I knew then what I know now.

This pretty much sums up any and all contribution I'd make to this thread.

Though in relation to "What I know now", I'd probably be even moreso the resident packet of tinfoil. However doing that for 6 years would probably tell me "Stop trying to convince them bro and just work on your super secret bomb shelter."

Joined in 08.. I was 18.... Nothing very special compared to you geezers! ;)

But seriously, I think you guys are awesome! Way more mature and fun than most of the internet.

As long as Valve is making games (and for a while after that) I see myself hanging around.

Had to look up my profile to find out that I joined this forum in '06, four months before the the most stressful exams I've ever had to write. You guys helped me through a lot back then.

These days I reddit a lot, but this is the forum I find myself returning to for conversation. It's just.. homely. Like returning to the town you grew up in, where you know all the faces and sometimes a cool breeze blows, telling you that everything turns out okay... :cat:

Man, to think that I was... um... 13 or 12 when I joined. Good. God.

Back