A Question About TFT Monitors

586FAC75

Reaction score
I was looking to get myself a lovely new ASUS 19" TFT monitor, however I've heard people say that TFT monitors reduce the quality of your gaming experience due to crappy framerates, slow response times, etc...are any of these problems real or is it just another urban myth? Cheers.

No longer true. When TFT's first came out they had slow response times which meant anything fast moving on screen would result in motion blur. Technology has improved in the last few years and this type of issue is no longer a problem with new monitors.

If in doubt try to get a look at one in action before you buy. Try to find a local shop that stocks one to see if you like the picture quality.

Generally you want to get one between 6ms to 2ms response time. Take into consideration that not all games have widescreen support (You can play them, just the visuals look out of proportion).

For an extra tenner, you may find a TFT with a built-in TV tuner, though you may want to find other information before buying. PCWorld stocks monitors with tuners, but don't try a place like Comet or Currys

Generally you want to get one between 6ms to 2ms response time. Take into consideration that not all games have widescreen support (You can play them, just the visuals look out of proportion).

For an extra tenner, you may find a TFT with a built-in TV tuner, though you may want to find other information before buying. PCWorld stocks monitors with tuners, but don't try a place like Comet or Currys

All monitors are gradually moving towards Widescreen, if you look on popular computer websites its starting to be overwhelmed by them. This is mainly because Widescreen is a much better size for media and games. I just got a 22inch widescreen for only ?190 with 5ms, its pritty dam crazy. I'm so happy with it as I was expecting a fairly bellow average picture quality but with my budget I couldn't get anything better and wanted to go bigger. Anyway, it rocks and I'm definatly happy :D

Oh just one thing to point out. TFT monitors are not like CRT in the fact they suport many different resolutions. All TFT monitors will have optimal resolutions which basiclly they are made and designed towards. Basiclly using a resolution while in windows that is not the optimal resolution will result in a smudgy appearance. This is basiclly because of the way the pixels work in TFT's.

Take into consideration that not all games have widescreen support (You can play them, just the visuals look out of proportion).
You should be able to change your driver settings so it allows you to keep the correct aspect ratio and just have black bars to the left and right of screen.

Well I have an ATI card and normally use these settings which expand the display to as large as possible while maintaining its aspect ratio.

widescreendisplayom5.gif

Back