A reason to hate Uwe Boll even more...

I don't get the whole "animals are not as intelligent as humans thus they don't deserve rights". Since when is intelligence a criteria for valueing things? I thought we took care of our mentally handicapped and even our vegetables. Not to mention you enter a bit of a slippery slope there, are intelligent people more valuable than dumb ones? A vegetable has rights, no matter if he is aware of them or not.

I stand by my opinion that the value of everything - including that of living things - is in the eye of the beholder. I care more about my dog than I care about the vast majority of people. I see no inherently magic value in people who I have never even heard of, just because they're people. Doesn't mean they have no value at all, they just have an objective value to me, not an emotional one. Nor do I have an emotional attachment to the steak on my plate, but I would like to know it hasn't been treated unfairly. Which is obviously something we need to work on.

I don't know PETA or what they do, but I see no harm in animals obtaining rights.

I don't get the whole "animals are not as intelligent as humans thus they don't deserve rights". Since when is intelligence a criteria for valueing things? I thought we took care of our mentally handicapped and even our vegetables. Not to mention you enter a bit of a slippery slope there, are intelligent people more valuable than dumb ones? A vegetable has rights, no matter if he is aware of them or not.

I stand by my opinion that the value of everything - including that of living things - is in the eye of the beholder. I care more about my dog than I care about the vast majority of people. I see no inherently magic value in people who I have never even heard of, just because they're people. Doesn't mean they have no value at all, they just have an objective value to me, not an emotional one. Nor do I have an emotional attachment to the steak on my plate, but I would like to know it hasn't been treated unfairly. Which is obviously something we need to work on.

I don't know PETA or what they do, but I see no harm in animals obtaining rights.
Seconded more or less verbatim.

I hate both both PETA and Greenpeace, come to think of it.
(So that must put me on the bandwagon, eh?)

But PETA is the only animal rights group with any political clout, so I guess it's a necessary evil.

Back