A Sneek peek at my competition map: DM_Depot

brisck1, found mention of this map in another www forum.

I just finished running about and found some holes where you can fall out of the map too easily, well to be honest you have to try :)

Reads thread..... I see someone has mentioned that.

Awesome work brisck1.

Very nice map, i cant really fault it at the moment (other than one part where i could see out of the level, but i assume you already know about it). I'll give some more feedback when ive played a few games against others on it, but looks wise its great. Good Job :thumbs:

Do you have a changelog listing the changes? I can't really notice any difference, sorry.

All the issues from the previous beta still apply - the layout is very cluttered and confusing, and performance is terrible because the level is so open. Apologies for using a strong word like 'terrible', but tbh it is. In most areas I'm getting 10-20 fps, and in some areas sub-10 fps, and that's *before* any other people join in. On the Valve levels I get 50-60 fps.

Played the beta. It looks great, plays bad. I see you went with a lot of "correct" scales, considering that 1 unit = 1 inch, unfortunately, in a deathmatch situation, tight realistic spaces don't work very well. There are a number of areas that require fiddly little bits of motion to navigate, which should never happen in a fast paced multiplayer situation. Another deathmatch no-no committed is the area with one exit. At either end of the tracks there are areas that you can fall into from just about every side, but can only get out of via one ladder. A good map layout is somewhat akin to a celtic knot: it's always folding back on itself, never ending anywhere. Dead ends are not a fun thing to encounter while playing in DM. I also personally hate invisible walls that players can't move past. I found a number of them, and I think that's a really cheap cop out for a mapper to use. Always try and make your level make sense, and that includes "edging". If you don't want someone to pass a certain point, then block it with something, not an invisible blocking volume.

I get the impression that you're more interested in the visual aspect then the gameplay aspects (or... at least I hope so), but if you want to see your map being played on servers, then you might want to place a bit more emphasis on the gameplay.

Working on one at the moment. It will be a pretty big update with a good increase in performance and will hopefully be bug-free.

Beta 2 was rushed out really to give players something a little more complete and playable as beta 1 was full of bugs.

I found out the reason for the mediocre performance in the beta 2 is because of the way that Source does not dynamically occude props or static meshes.

It seems it draws these objects even when they are not seen. This has been solved by utilising the func_occuder entity.

All im working on now is polishing the visuals and tweaking the level design to allow a more fun game.

It'll probably be here within the next couple of days :)

I placed a luggage cart in front of the train and something weird happened. It might be better for you to check it out rather than try to understand my description of it. It's not a huge deal because it's supposed to be a fast-paced deathmatch map, but I thought you might want to check it out.

Also, when I was running alongside the parked train, next to the concrete platform, I got stuck about halfway. I agree with whoever it was before that said the map needs to be opened up a bit more. I love 95% of the areas, but there are some areas that take time to navigate. Another example is the wooden bridge that you need to cross to get from the beginning side of the map to the elevated train tracks that the train runs on. I noticed that it's not possible to jump over the rail and onto the wooden plank without holding CTRL. I found myself spending too much time trying to make the jump when I needed to navigate it quickly.

Overall, your map is miles ahead of anything else I have seen so far and that's why I spent some time giving you my thoughts. I think with a few more tweaks, your map could be a serious contender in the competition. I wish you luck!

brisck1 said:

Excellent work, brisk. When you release your final version you can count on me for a mirror download.

Please just name it dm_depot and not dm_depot_final. :LOL:

I can see sooo much CoD influences! hehe
not a bad idea

CoD's Depot map rocks!

Ok here comes my critisizing comments. First of all congrats on a fairly great map with great potention. First of all, it feels a little too small and squeezed, not much to explore and there would be not much of the ability for individual players to invent their own "strategy" for the map which is a key part of a map. I would make that tippy top train area bridge thing a lot more explorable.

Also you should make the map a bit more interactive, the small wooden huts for example, you know the ones with the magnum and stuff in it. I think you should either make the huts a little more destructable (cmon dude, take advantage of the source engine) or make it so you can shooting through the hut from the inside and out. That would add a lot more of the "cool" fun factor i can assure you that.

Also of course make the windows shoot throughable too, that was wierd that you can shoot through em.

Once again the map is just too confining and linear, just add more interactivity and give us more space to do stuff lol. Still so far a friggin awesome map.

Technical issues: You cant climb one of the ladders. Where those huts are, if you start walking in the space between the train and the platform you will meet an invisible wall and sometimes get stuck. Make us be able to go inside of some of the trains, that would be cool, maybe to make it less linear add some underground subway area im not sure. Overall great as hell map. Great job. Oh also one more thing, I have a P4 3.2 , 1 gig of ram, Radeon 9800 XT 256mb rig, and on one half of the map i get no more than 30 fps. Definitely wierd.

Aren't a nice guy on helping you out brisk1 :-D

Typo messed up my name

Pro[pH]et said:
Excellent work, brisk. When you release your final version you can count on me for a mirror download.

Please just name it dm_depot and not dm_depot_final. :LOL:

yeah...that ticks me off so much.
why do mappers add the "final" in there? i don't get it.

Nice map

Hey thats some beutiful graphics, looks great. How did you get that train sound to work? I got so desperata i even made doors that make the train sound and called them by events, but that was bust to. Any help would be apreciated.

YIKES!! What is THAT!!?? That's insane man...I hope you win cause this map looks fantasic. :thumbs:

I love the lighting through the windows! :E

thanks guys, but the only way im going to get this into the competition is if someone could post in from the US for me :(

looks pretty great :( oh wait, i didnt get in in time for the contest so good map :) - hopefully it plays as good as it looks - how many players are possible/good to play?

*I am now a bullsquid - 150 posts*
:p

Back