A solution to the Source problem

Reaction score
Silent sugested this on another thread. All credit goes to him.

We all know that the version of the source on the web is not the latest build. Why doesent valve release a manditory patch on steam that automatically updates HL2 beta build so that it no longer works. Then no one has a working version anymore. Could this work. Place your ideas here.

ALSO: Hackers might not be a problem. To play HL2 multiplayer you need steam. Fact. Why not make it so that those with the old version of the game can NOT log into steam. In fact just kick them out of steam alltogether. This way they cant play with us on steam HL2 games. :D

POST YOUR IDEAS HERE NO FLAMING ALLOWED

Cheaters and game hacks are the least of valves worries right now for the game. The problem is their work is open to the public, and there is NO way to resolve that.

I'm pissed off that its going to be delayed until feb 2004, and I have a hunch people already knew of the leak before it happened, and haven't told us, because of all those release dates marking it as Feb 2004.

My advice, forget about this game Erase it from your memory, beat yourself in the head with a baseball if thats what it takes, but forget about it. If you want and try to soak in every tidbit of information for four extra months, you are only leading yourself to a shorter life.

Half-life 2 is no longer my most anticipated game, and it is super far down on the list now, because of all the other great games being RELEASED far before 2004.

Gonna double post (maybe)

I completely agree with myself and marksmen. It doesn't matter if it is patched, plus, nobody will care about the leaked source anymore. People who do something with it will just get sued. It will die out really fast. Oh, the delay hasn't been confirmed till Feb of '04, but I do agree with people's anger. I think there's more to this than meets the eye because this obvious answer isn't being put into action by Valve... Yet....

The real real problem

The problem that is on the table for Valve as far as source goes is that since people have ready access to the source, it's possible to easily find security holes in the game.

I dunno about you guys, but I'm sure as hell not going to play the single player for very long. I'm going to play online and dumbass hackers are going to be there waiting to exploit the buffer overflow vulnerability that they found just by looking at the source for Source. Now valve has a couple of choices: comb through their code for months trying to find things that hackers might exploit or release the game as-is and cross their fingers.

Be fun playing a game where you were under constant threat of a worm being sent to your computer.

Screw it... I'll still play.

I still reckon valve may try the above patching idea or whatever. Meh, we should soon hear from them i spose :)

This is what I posted in another Beta thread:

Two words: Timed Release.

In other words, everyone downloads the patch - even the leaks. The people who own the leaks get excited because the patch works for em. They even get to play online a little (while valve logs thier ips). Then, at 12:00am the next Monday - BOOM - half the dll's are missing, registry edited, and files rendered useless.

Just a thought.

WOW, DONT expect valve to say something to confirm its delayed until feb 2004. I guarantee you on christmas day, gabe will come out saying the gabe is delayed and will not make the holiday release date. That late in the holidays, yes, its true.

<snickers>

Originally posted by Phrenzy
WOW, DONT expect valve to say something to confirm its delayed until feb 2004. I guarantee you on christmas day, gabe will come out saying the gabe is delayed and will not make the holiday release date. That late in the holidays, yes, its true.

<snickers>

So Gabe will be delaying his holiday this year?

Back