About the weapons in EP1..

Black Op said:
Because ammo for other guns are more plentiful than those where the ammo won't last for very long. And just what niche will these theortical weapons fill that are not covered up by all the existing weapons? They won't since the HL2 weapon selection is well-balanced at this stage. Finally, all HL2 weapons are basically generic in that there's only one weapon used for one purpose. There's a melee weapon, gravity gun, pea-shooter pistol, magnum, SMG, AR, long-range crossbow, RPG, and grenades. Only one weapon for each role is needed, so having all these scattered weapons only clogs up the weapon selection needlessly. All sorts of weapon variants belong in tactical and military shooters.

That point is irrelevant. It's been so long since the Combine invasion that most people who were not a Resistance member is most likely dead by now either from irate wildlife or the Overwatch. There's no proof that these civilians that never went into the cities had any sort of military protection. Finally with the surrender of Earth to the Universial Union, any military forces left outside the cities might have very well surrendered since it would seem hopeless to take on such an advanced enemy. All these fabled stockpiles would have been turned over to the Overwatch in that scenario.

Ammo production doesn't need to work in HL because current HL2 game mechanics don't call for it at all. Why need ammo production when you can get ammo from Combine crates and bodies? As there's no need for pre-invasion Earth weapons to be lying around, this point is also irrevelent. Finally, it's common sense to be distrustful of Hollywood reality and not a mere pre-programed response to act on such common sense.

Zombines made sense because both Headcrabs and Combine already existed. That wouldn't work with weapons because neither the Overwatch nor the Resistance had the means to suddenly conjure up new weapons in the hours between HL2 and EP1. Since EP1 is a storyline continuation rather than an expansion pack, logic take precedence of adding new content.

Except there was room to develop what weapons were in the HL2 universe. This isn't possible with EP1 since the only weapons that would be encountered are those already brought in by either of the two factions.

Use the weapon til it runs out of ammo. Variety. Something different to hear when you fire, something different to look at. Imagine 20 zombies and you have gregoris rifle. That would be fun for me.

I doubt military forces would surrender. Theyt would either join or help the resistance. And if they did surrender, why would they turn over something the combine didnt know about?

Like I said ammo production isnt a game mechanic. Just a reason why we could have some resistance made weapons. A lawyer using an old court decision as an example during a current trial is basically the same thing as my point on films and games. The former are reality and the latter are both fiction.

Whats this conjuring you go on about? New ground is being tread. The only area that gordons been in before is the citadel. In opposing force your in the same facility, not the same places most of the time from what i rememeber but the same facility and you came across new weapons. Valve could have easily added combine weapons and just said they werent being used in the areas you tread in hl2. Under you point of view every weapon and ammo for all weapons should be found in all levels in the game.

How do you explain no crossbow and ammo til you get to hwy 17 but then when you get back to city 17 the ammo is there now. I bet that almost ruined hl2 for you.

kag30 said:
Use the weapon til it runs out of ammo. Variety. Something different to hear when you fire, something different to look at. Imagine 20 zombies and you have gregoris rifle. That would be fun for me.
Oh please. When I think of variety, I think of weapons that have actual gameplay differences. In the case of firearms, all HL needs is a pea-shooter pistol, a powerful pistol, a shotgun, a SMG, an AR, and a sniper rifle in the absence of a crossbow. Any other firearms would be redundant for HL gameplay. I'd rather have VALVe create original weapons than insert misc. real-life weapons as gimmicks.

I doubt military forces would surrender. Theyt would either join or help the resistance. And if they did surrender, why would they turn over something the combine didnt know about?
Do you know nothing of warfare at all? To a soldier that fears certain death, surrender will usually be always preferable to fighting to the last man. Even the Japanese in WWII who were wiliing to send kamikaze after kamikaze aganist US forces in the event of an invasion of Japan surrended when faced with atomic warfare. As there's no chance the Earth militaries at the time of the Seven Hours War would all be fanatic enough to use suicide as a desperation tactic, it's naive to think all of the surviving military would fight on. Breen's surrender to the Universial Union would not be much of a surrender if no one complied at all. Therefore much of Earth's soliders would have layed down their arms to make Breen's surrender legitimate, and weapon stockpiles would surely have been seized. Do you really think all soldiers wearied by constant fighting with teleporting wildlife would fight on in the face of an invincible foe?

Like I said ammo production isnt a game mechanic. Just a reason why we could have some resistance made weapons. A lawyer using an old court decision as an example during a current trial is basically the same thing as my point on films and games. The former are reality and the latter are both fiction.
I think ammo production is a redundant detail that would make no difference in the HL2 mythology. As all the Resistance-made weapons so far have been exotic and few in number, continuity wise it should be kept the same in later episodes. It would not be true to the nature of the Resistance if they magically developed the ability to mass-produce their own firearms.

Whats this conjuring you go on about? New ground is being tread. The only area that gordons been in before is the citadel. In opposing force your in the same facility, not the same places most of the time from what i rememeber but the same facility and you came across new weapons. Valve could have easily added combine weapons and just said they werent being used in the areas you tread in hl2. Under you point of view every weapon and ammo for all weapons should be found in all levels in the game.
The reason Op4 had new weapons was because it was a full-blown expansion pack. EP1 is no such expansion, so having new weapons left and right makes less sense. At least when the time for a new weapon or two comes along, they would be implimented properly and true to HL game mechanics rather than your flawed "disposable gun" idea.

How do you explain no crossbow and ammo til you get to hwy 17 but then when you get back to city 17 the ammo is there now. I bet that almost ruined hl2 for you.
Do you know anything about the HL2 storyline? Armed resistance only occured in City 17 after Gordon trashed Nova Prospekt. The fact that this rebellion occured for a week before Anticitizen One showed up gives plenty of time for crossbow ammo to appear.

About the argument about military forces hiding out in the middle of nowhere. The resistance already tried that with Ravenholm and look what happened to that.

And i'm too lazy to find a quote but someone was arguing about the lack of non-combine weapons in the game. So where do the Magnum, Crossbow and RPG fit into that classification?

Arcrath said:
And i'm too lazy to find a quote but someone was arguing about the lack of non-combine weapons in the game. So where do the Magnum, Crossbow and RPG fit into that classification?
The Magnum may have been used as a Combine sidearm since you first pick one up in a building in 'Water Hazard' full of Civil Protection goons. It's probably the same case in HL1 when none of the Barneys never used anything other than a Glock. The crossbow falls into the catagory of exotic weaponry, and thus not a lot of them are used by the Resistance (indeed only Freeman seemed to ever use one). Finally one of the opening scenes in 'Anticitizen One' show Combine soliders using RPGs aganist Dog.

operative lm said:
I thought that was an APC.
I stand corrected. Even so, RPG ammo is plentiful in Overwatch stockpiles. It might be just like the Magnum situation where we just never see Combine use RPGs. VALVe did intend to actually encounter a RPG soldier in EP1, but they removed it.

the way i see it, all the rpgs the combine carry around are actually meant for apcs. The rocket launcher from what i can tell looks like its cobbled out of parts so that it can fire apc rockets, much liked how the crossbow is cobbled out of parts to fire hot rebar

Black Op said:
Oh please. When I think of variety, I think of weapons that have actual gameplay differences. In the case of firearms, all HL needs is a pea-shooter pistol, a powerful pistol, a shotgun, a SMG, an AR, and a sniper rifle in the absence of a crossbow. Any other firearms would be redundant for HL gameplay. I'd rather have VALVe create original weapons than insert misc. real-life weapons as gimmicks.

Do you know nothing of warfare at all? To a soldier that fears certain death, surrender will usually be always preferable to fighting to the last man. Even the Japanese in WWII who were wiliing to send kamikaze after kamikaze aganist US forces in the event of an invasion of Japan surrended when faced with atomic warfare. As there's no chance the Earth militaries at the time of the Seven Hours War would all be fanatic enough to use suicide as a desperation tactic, it's naive to think all of the surviving military would fight on. Breen's surrender to the Universial Union would not be much of a surrender if no one complied at all. Therefore much of Earth's soliders would have layed down their arms to make Breen's surrender legitimate, and weapon stockpiles would surely have been seized. Do you really think all soldiers wearied by constant fighting with teleporting wildlife would fight on in the face of an invincible foe?

I think ammo production is a redundant detail that would make no difference in the HL2 mythology. As all the Resistance-made weapons so far have been exotic and few in number, continuity wise it should be kept the same in later episodes. It would not be true to the nature of the Resistance if they magically developed the ability to mass-produce their own firearms.

The reason Op4 had new weapons was because it was a full-blown expansion pack. EP1 is no such expansion, so having new weapons left and right makes less sense. At least when the time for a new weapon or two comes along, they would be implimented properly and true to HL game mechanics rather than your flawed "disposable gun" idea.

Do you know anything about the HL2 storyline? Armed resistance only occured in City 17 after Gordon trashed Nova Prospekt. The fact that this rebellion occured for a week before Anticitizen One showed up gives plenty of time for crossbow ammo to appear.

Gregori's rifle is unlike any weapon in gordons arsenal. You dont think that would have made a nice addition to gordon's arsenal? On the other hand Farcry has some very similar weapons and I never heard anyone complain about redundancy.

I thought we were talking about the military forces who were ordered to hide out so not everyone got themselves killed.

They could develop weapons and ammo on a smal scale for the more elite of the resistance. Hive hand would be most welcome as well.

If you were consistent with your stance then op4 shouldnt have any new weapons, considering it occured at the same place and same time as hl. ep1 should be more likely to have new weapons since your in different areas than hl2. ep1 isnt an exp its the 1st 5 hours of hl3 in case you havent heard. Please explain or give an example of proper implementation of a new weapon.

I only know what i've read at the hl saga site. I'd like to know the story behind the crossbow. Did the gman have something to do with it? The combine dont use it afaik. Surely the combine wouldnt just leave one out on the side of the road making 1 of their own billboard mounted soldiers easy pickens.

Arcrath said:
About the argument about military forces hiding out in the middle of nowhere. The resistance already tried that with Ravenholm and look what happened to that.

We were talking about secret locations already in place for all different types of wide scale disasters.

kag30 said:
It wouldnt make sense if for instance Gregori had died and you got his rifle?

Pointless line of thought. Gregori doesn't die.

More capable is one thing. Taking out squad after squad of special forces in HL1 is another. Weapons production is close to impossible, what gordon does is impossible. Fanboys dont see things clearly though.

This is an action of FPS. It needs to sacrifice certain aspects of realism in order to function. But you can't grasp this for some reason.

It wouldnt be impossible to find a non combine weapon on the battlefield.

But it would be implausible. Ammo even moreso.

Its good to understand what you read. Nowhere did i state that govt's existed post invasion.

"As we speak there are people hired by the government and military living underground just in case."

You clearly thought this applied to the HL universe as well. You lose.

Running into new weapons makes sense gameplay and storywise just as much as finding increasingly more powerful weapons.

Not in the context of City 17, an area with nothing new to offer. And in terms of gameplay, there was never a moment that called for new weapons. Episode 2, with its new enemies, environments, and apparent developer goals, will offer something new. Because in that case, new weapons would make sense.

For the record, this "disposable gun" idea is pants. It may have its charms in games like Condemned and such, but it is terribly amiss in a game like Half-Life.

kag30 said:
Gregori's rifle is unlike any weapon in gordons arsenal. You dont think that would have made a nice addition to gordon's arsenal? On the other hand Farcry has some very similar weapons and I never heard anyone complain about redundancy.
Why would you have Grigori's rifle? Where can you find ammo outside of Ravenholm for Grigori's rifle? What's so bloody special about Grigori's rifle in the first place? Is it just me or does that "rifle" actually operates the same way the shotgun does? If so, why friggin bother with the stupid rifle in the first place?

I thought we were talking about the military forces who were ordered to hide out so not everyone got themselves killed.
I don't seen anyone in the Resistance that looks or sounds like a former member of a military. For all practical purposes in the HL2 mythology, the military ceases to exist along with all personnel affiliated with it. Any holdouts would have been wiped out long ago.

They could develop weapons and ammo on a smal scale for the more elite of the resistance. Hive hand would be most welcome as well.
Why don't you show me these "elite" Resistance forces then, eh?

If you were consistent with your stance then op4 shouldnt have any new weapons, considering it occured at the same place and same time as hl. ep1 should be more likely to have new weapons since your in different areas than hl2. ep1 isnt an exp its the 1st 5 hours of hl3 in case you havent heard. Please explain or give an example of proper implementation of a new weapon.
Of course there were a few problems with Op4 content. It managed to create dilemmas on why Freeman never saw a Grunt with a Desert Eagle, SAW, and M40. I'm obviously glad EP1 avoided those inconsistencies. It would not make sense to see new weapons in EP1 since it takes place in City 17 a mere few hours after HL2 ended. It was already set what weapons were used in the rebellion, and unlike Black Mesa there would not have been secret weapon projects scattered around that Freeman would have stumbled across. We shouldn't see any new weapons until they are one of Kleiner's technological advances or if they are brought by the Combine from off-world once they can reach Earth again. Other than those scenarios, there's no other weapons worthy to be added into the HL arsenal.

I only know what i've read at the hl saga site. I'd like to know the story behind the crossbow. Did the gman have something to do with it? The combine dont use it afaik. Surely the combine wouldnt just leave one out on the side of the road making 1 of their own billboard mounted soldiers easy pickens.
I never find it a good sign if someone's totally dependant on that inaccurate HL Saga site for their HL knowledge. With that said, there's no story to the crossbow just like there's none for most other weapons. Whoever had that crossbow first could have died in many ways. Whatever the reason, it's irreverent.

We were talking about secret locations already in place for all different types of wide scale disasters.
Which would make no difference anyway. Since when did disaster plans ever rely on these secret bunkers? Even in the days of the Cold War, the only protection the average American citizen had was "Duck & Cover". With that mentallity, secret bunkers would have been mostly non-discovered, with any others destroyed by the Overwatch once they take a look through old government files. This point is also irreverent.

Black Op said:
Where can you find ammo outside of Ravenholm for Grigori's rifle?
It uses magnum ammo.

Is it just me or does that "rifle" actually operates the same way the shotgun does?
No, it's rifle, it fires a very acurate, powerful shot (more so than the magnum)

ríomhaire said:
No, it's rifle, it fires a very acurate, powerful shot (more so than the magnum)

In terms of in-game functionality, it functions exactly the same way as your shotgun.

Even if there are some differences, it doesn't distinguish itself enough from the rest of your arsenal.

Ludah said:
In terms of in-game functionality, it functions exactly the same way as your shotgun.

Even if there are some differences, it doesn't distinguish itself enough from the rest of your arsenal.
Have you ever used it? It doesn't work like a shotgun at all.

kag30 said:
I only know what i've read at the hl saga site.

Then GTFO, 'cause you don't know a shit about HL. HL is not about stupid guns.

Based on what you have argued, I think you're just being stupid. Even organising a Resistance is an extremely difficult task already. You think they have the resources to constantly make and invent new weapons? Nope. And Overwatch forces do exist outside of the cities, and they could easily dispose of Resistance bases. Just like what you see at NLO, Resistance bases are small and few and far between. Most of the remaining buildings left along the coast are occupied by the Combine, so almost all of mankind survive in the cities with a few stragglers in the wastelands.

As for Grigori's rifle; is it really needed? Does it serve any purposes at all? Why would you go back to Ravenholm, or why would Grigori venture out of Ravenholm? Is he dead at all? (Probably isn't dead because the canals lead to outside City 17 and to BME, leading to Ravenholm. The blast shouldn't have reached him.) Any major importance whatsoever? Nope.

To the lack of resources thing; only the crossbow, RPG and Gravity Gun are Resistance manufactured. And D0G too, but he was improved upon with parts such as from scanners.

Oh yeah, it's been 20-odd years since HL, so I don't see how BME couldn't be simply occupied by the Resistance. it is a power plant after all; probably abandoned because it doesn't seem to serve any purposes at all.

Anyway, elite Resistance is dumb. They're a rag-tag group of rebels, for heaven's sake.

bigburpco said:
Most of the remaining buildings left along the coast are occupied by the Combine, so almost all of mankind survive in the cities with a few stragglers in the wastelands.
Judging from what Cubbage says it seems they where ocupied by rebels up until that then when the Combine raided everyone.

bigburpco said:
To the lack of resources thing; only the crossbow, RPG and Gravity Gun are Resistance manufactured.
The Gravity Gun wasn't meant as a weapon "We mainly use it for heavy lifting) and the RPG is clearly Combine.

Bleh, I hope VALVe doesn't add any new guns.

Picture it this way.

"Ooh ooh ooh, i'm Gordon Freeman! Been through every inch of the country, shot every combine there is to shoot, i've even pushed the combine bolder into the hill, i've seen it all"

"Hi, i'm some rebel dude from EP2! Guess what Mr. Freeman, HERE'S A NEW GUN!"

"What's this? A new gun? But i've explored all there is to explore, i've seen the deepest depths of the combine's underground operations. How can this be, a gun I haven't seen before?"

"Well Mr. Freeman, the situation calls for it, therefore, it must make sense."

"No it doesn't. You fail."

I think it's been said in this thread before, but a handheld Tau canon could appear, and maybe the Gluon Gun.

Hey, maybe they'll even bring back the teleport gun from OpFor! Samon would love that :p

Ludah said:
Pointless line of thought. Gregori doesn't die.

It was an example of how you could acquire a new weapon.

This is an action of FPS. It needs to sacrifice certain aspects of realism in order to function. But you can't grasp this for some reason.

But only in ways you agree with. You have no vision.

You clearly thought this applied to the HL universe as well. You lose.

The hl universe is the world as we know it invaded by aliens

Not in the context of City 17, an area with nothing new to offer. And in terms of gameplay, there was never a moment that called for new weapons. Episode 2, with its new enemies, environments, and apparent developer goals, will offer something new. Because in that case, new weapons would make sense.

If ep1 didnt have a new enemy and people complained, you'd be denouncing them as well. Do you have an altar with a crowbar on it?

For the record, this "disposable gun" idea is pants. It may have its charms in games like Condemned and such, but it is terribly amiss in a game like Half-Life.

Again, no vision. What will be sacrificed to the crowbar altar tonight?

Black Op said:
Why don't you show me these "elite" Resistance forces then, eh?

That would be freeman, and any other member of the resistance who is more combat savvy than most.

It would not make sense to see new weapons in EP1 since it takes place in City 17 a mere few hours after HL2 ended.

How do you explain zombine suddenly appearing all over the place?

I never find it a good sign if someone's totally dependant on that inaccurate HL Saga site for their HL knowledge. With that said, there's no story to the crossbow just like there's none for most other weapons. Whoever had that crossbow first could have died in many ways. Whatever the reason, it's irreverent.

I take it you meant to say irrelavent? In which case your inconsistency is becoming consistent.

Which would make no difference anyway. Since when did disaster plans ever rely on these secret bunkers? Even in the days of the Cold War, the only protection the average American citizen had was "Duck & Cover". With that mentallity, secret bunkers would have been mostly non-discovered, with any others destroyed by the Overwatch once they take a look through old government files. This point is also irreverent.

Do you think citizens would be made aware of bunkers that can only accomodate a very minute portion of the population? I'm sure the info would be made very hard to find.

Maybe you really do mean irreverent, i feel like an atheist surrounded by bible thumpers.

bigburpco said:
HL is not about stupid guns.

Exactly! So changing or adding wouldnt bother the story. This isnt star wars and lightsabers.

Uh, i dont think the plot needs gunz, and gunz dont need plot.. it would be freaking same thing if we would have m16, but not that smg... i wouldnt care.. but now i have downloaded smod which is great, now i can feel that gunz back a punch.. yea it's cool mod and makes hl2 much more enjoyable..

but still.. bullets should go trough some opjects like boxes and thin wooden walls..

kag30 said:
It was an example of how you could acquire a new weapon.
Not the best example though considerring I have already proposed more likely scenarios for acquiring unique weapons in future episodes.

But only in ways you agree with. You have no vision.
Useless ad hominem attack.

The hl universe is the world as we know it invaded by aliens
And your point is....?

If ep1 didnt have a new enemy and people complained, you'd be denouncing them as well. Do you have an altar with a crowbar on it?
That line of thought has no place in this debate.

Again, no vision. What will be sacrificed to the crowbar altar tonight?
Yet another use of ad hominem.

That would be freeman, and any other member of the resistance who is more combat savvy than most.
And just who are these combat savvy Resistance members besides Freeman? As of EP1, none exist. Can you honestly see a special forces branch of the Resistance? :LOL:

How do you explain zombine suddenly appearing all over the place?
Red herring, as Combine soliders and headcrabs already existed in the HL universe. We might as well ponder why no Gonomes from Op4 ever showed up in Ravenholm.

I take it you meant to say irrelavent? In which case your inconsistency is becoming consistent.
Are personal attacks all that you can manage now?

Do you think citizens would be made aware of bunkers that can only accomodate a very minute portion of the population? I'm sure the info would be made very hard to find.

Maybe you really do mean irreverent, i feel like an atheist surrounded by bible thumpers.
So why bother with the bunker line of thought then? The Resistance will just have to do with whatever empty buildings they can find.

Exactly! So changing or adding wouldnt bother the story. This isnt star wars and lightsabers.
You missed the point entirely. Adding random disposable guns will mess with HL game mechanics. It goes aganist how the player is never strapped for ammo. For the times where ammo isn't common, use the bloody Gravity Gun or crowbar. Random real-life guns with low ammo belong with games that resemble zombie movies (no the Ravenholm chapter in HL2 does not count).

no, the RPG launcher definitely looks rebel made. If the combine made something it wouldn't look like it were homemade.

RPG rockets are meant for combine apcs, rebels steal apc rpg ammo, and fire it out of homemade launchers.

Besides you never ever see a combine use it where as the rebels use it at various points thoughout the game.

That makes sense. kag30 loses. Changing the weapons have an impact because the weapon would have to have a source.

As for 'HL is not about stupid guns', it means we don't need frigging new weapons, because it would probably ruin consistency. The prospects of Resistance made weapons are very little, and you should have seen almost all of the Overwatch arsenal. It's very hard to implement if the game is a direct continuation of a previous game in the series. Now, if it was a sequel, things would be very, very different. The time change can be altered.

The existance of Zombine in Ep1 while not in HL2 is pretty easy to see why. Headcrabs and Soldiers generally did not run into each other much in HL2's time, while in Ep1's they've basically been face-to-face with each other for a while now, underground and otherwise. Therefore, the existance of Zombine in Ep1 but not HL2 makes sense.

Flyingdebris said:
no, the RPG launcher definitely looks rebel made. If the combine made something it wouldn't look like it were homemade.

RPG rockets are meant for combine apcs, rebels steal apc rpg ammo, and fire it out of homemade launchers.

Besides you never ever see a combine use it where as the rebels use it at various points thoughout the game.
raketenwerfer.jpg

I don't think it looks homemade :\

Black Op said:
Not the best example though considerring I have already proposed more likely scenarios for acquiring unique weapons in future episodes.

Must have missed that.

Useless ad hominem attack.

There are already weapons and ammo lying around in the game that make no sense. I have no problem with that, not because valve did it but because it doesnt matter. Get it?

And your point is....?

Ludah a spoke as if the hl universe had nothing to do with ours.

That line of thought has no place in this debate.

You know its true.

And just who are these combat savvy Resistance members besides Freeman? As of EP1, none exist. Can you honestly see a special forces branch of the Resistance? :LOL:

You're right, i forgot that everyone has equal abilities in all things. Except freeman.

Obviously the resistance members who stole the rpg and the magical regenerating ammo crates for it. Surely the combine wouldnt leave a weapon with an endless supply of ammo for a weapon they dont even use lying around. Cant be a resistance made weapon since they dont have the resources.

Red herring, as Combine soliders and headcrabs already existed in the HL universe. We might as well ponder why no Gonomes from Op4 ever showed up in Ravenholm.

Why arent there civil protection zombies? Civil protection was on the street in abundance for years. Combine only for a day.

Are personal attacks all that you can manage now?

I like to throw cherries on top.

So why bother with the bunker line of thought then? The Resistance will just have to do with whatever empty buildings they can find.

I was talking about the people who sought shelter during the invasion.

You missed the point entirely. Adding random disposable guns will mess with HL game mechanics. It goes aganist how the player is never strapped for ammo. For the times where ammo isn't common, use the bloody Gravity Gun or crowbar. Random real-life guns with low ammo belong with games that resemble zombie movies (no the Ravenholm chapter in HL2 does not count).

Only belongs where you've already seen it right?

This would be on top of the weapons you already have. In which case you dont even have to use them. Reason for drop is to keep the inventory from becoming cluttered. Then again it doesnt matter how the weapons appear in the game. Or if its a perm or temp gun. Opp force wasnt hurt at all by having different weapons. Even if it is similarly effective, a new weapon will give you something new to hear and see. This prevents weapon boredom which is already setting in for me with the pistol and smg. Neither sound all that great to begin with. Thank god for the fakefactory mod

kag30 said:
Black Op said:
There are already weapons and ammo lying around in the game that make no sense. I have no problem with that, not because valve did it but because it doesnt matter. Get it?
Actually, ammo placement is somewhat sensible as they're only out in the "open" when in a logical place like a room used by the Combine. If not, they get stashed in crates someplace. So it can make sense, unlike your idea for low ammo for throw-away guns does not make sense.

Ludah a spoke as if the hl universe had nothing to do with ours.
He's right, since teleportation and a Borderworld and a Combine Empire or even a Black Mesa Research Facility don't exist in our universe.

You know its true.
But holds no meaning in this issue. End of story.

You're right, i forgot that everyone has equal abilities in all things. Except freeman.

Obviously the resistance members who stole the rpg and the magical regenerating ammo crates for it. Surely the combine wouldnt leave a weapon with an endless supply of ammo for a weapon they dont even use lying around. Cant be a resistance made weapon since they dont have the resources.
The ability to steal weapons and crates does not make one elite. :sleep:

Why arent there civil protection zombies? Civil protection was on the street in abundance for years. Combine only for a day.
Overwatch has been there the entire week during the Street War while Gordon wasn't there. We might as well ask why no Zombies ever wear the blue shirts seen on most citizens, instead only wearing white?

I was talking about the people who sought shelter during the invasion.
Which could only be a tiny few since most people would be ignorant of these hidden bunkers, instead living in the cities. As these bunkers would be out it the middle of nowhere, chances are people that travel there would get killed by alien wildlife before they arrive. Even if they do, it's only a matter of time before the Combine or Antlions get them. So this is a moot point.

Only belongs where you've already seen it right?

This would be on top of the weapons you already have. In which case you dont even have to use them. Reason for drop is to keep the inventory from becoming cluttered. Then again it doesnt matter how the weapons appear in the game. Or if its a perm or temp gun. Opp force wasnt hurt at all by having different weapons. Even if it is similarly effective, a new weapon will give you something new to hear and see. This prevents weapon boredom which is already setting in for me with the pistol and smg. Neither sound all that great to begin with. Thank god for the fakefactory mod
So you can get infected with weapons boredom? You might as well never make multiple playthoughs through HL games out of fear you'd get bored as well. The reason Op4 weapons worked was because they could potentially be used anywhere. Fans of HL would only get pissed off over guns with low ammo that only served to clutter up the inventory when they actually want more original weapons that are implimented better.

Since disposable guns is too much a drastic change from HL game mechanics, it should never be implimented in a HL game or episode. The series shouldn't cater to only one fan that easily gets bored of existing weapons.

yeah, well... i don't know whether or not you guys knew this, but the hopwire is in EP1. but it doesn't actually do anything. it uses the frag grenade model, no altfire, just primary. when you use the primary fire, it tosses out a rollermine a few inches out in front of you. when you use the primary fire again, the rollermine jumps up, then there's a flash. after the flash fades, you find the rollermine is missing, and nothing happened (and btw, the rollermine doesn't do anything either). so it's pretty useless...

Black Op said:
Actually, ammo placement is somewhat sensible as they're only out in the "open" when in a logical place like a room used by the Combine. If not, they get stashed in crates someplace. So it can make sense, unlike your idea for low ammo for throw-away guns does not make sense.

Why are rpg ammo crates out in the open? You sure do hang on to the disposable weapon idea.

He's right, since teleportation and a Borderworld and a Combine Empire or even a Black Mesa Research Facility don't exist in our universe.

He'd be right if we were discussing star wars in which case earth doesnt exist.

But holds no meaning in this issue. End of story.

Its the reason the debate goes on.

The ability to steal weapons and crates does not make one elite. :sleep:

Why dont you go ahead and loot the nearest military installation and let me know how tough it is.

Overwatch has been there the entire week during the Street War while Gordon wasn't there. We might as well ask why no Zombies ever wear the blue shirts seen on most citizens, instead only wearing white?

Steering out of the question hey. Then why arent the zombine in hl2 when gordon gets to kleiners lab after the week long teleportation? The answer is: it doesnt matter or hurt the story. Just like throwing in some weapons doesnt either.

Which could only be a tiny few since most people would be ignorant of these hidden bunkers, instead living in the cities. As these bunkers would be out it the middle of nowhere, chances are people that travel there would get killed by alien wildlife before they arrive. Even if they do, it's only a matter of time before the Combine or Antlions get them. So this is a moot point.

Its a way you could explain pre invasion weapons appearing.

. The series shouldn't cater to only one fan that easily gets bored of existing weapons.

Check out the number of downloads on this mod at this site alone:

http://halflife2.filefront.com/file/HalfLife_2_Substance_Gold_Final;54131

A drastic change would be 3rd person. Adding weapons besides whats already there and adding a hold crouch option or leaning wouldnt bother the game at all as they would be optional.

kag30 said:
Why are rpg ammo crates out in the open? You sure do hang on to the disposable weapon idea.
Crates out in the open are already a proven HL game mechanic. Your disposable gun idea is not.

He'd be right if we were discussing star wars in which case earth doesnt exist.
City 17 doesn't exist too along with what I already mentioned, so your point here is invalid. The HL2 setting is merely based on a fictional Earth and nothing more.

Its the reason the debate goes on.
Nope, the reason is because having a bunch of real-life weapons for the sake of it is cool only to you. Everyone else here thinks the traditional methods for implimenting new weapons should be kept, along with the fact new weapons shouldn't be just random real-life guns but actual based off original VALVe concepts.

Why dont you go ahead and loot the nearest military installation and let me know how tough it is.
Standard Resistance fighters all seem capable of taking on Overwatch soldiers and taking reasonable casualties. That's all they need in order to raid small Overwatch outposts and get the Hell out before backup arrives.

Steering out of the question hey. Then why arent the zombine in hl2 when gordon gets to kleiners lab after the week long teleportation? The answer is: it doesnt matter or hurt the story. Just like throwing in some weapons doesnt either.
The appearence of Zombines is symbolic of how the Overwatch's situation on Earth is FUBAR thanks to Freeman. However throwing in new weapons only to throw them away later has no symbolic meaning other than being a waste of time.

Its a way you could explain pre invasion weapons appearing.
Pre-invasion weapons have no place available for them in the HL2 weapon inventory. Nobody else cares for them as well. I'd rather use new Combine weapons than mere hunting rifles.

Check out the number of downloads on this mod at this site alone:

http://halflife2.filefront.com/file/HalfLife_2_Substance_Gold_Final;54131

A drastic change would be 3rd person. Adding weapons besides whats already there and adding a hold crouch option or leaning wouldnt bother the game at all as they would be optional.
I'm not impressed unless VALVe show signs they'd actually impliment your suggestions. So far, enough fans are satisified with the current HL system as it operates. There's no reason now to deviate from this working system by inserting disposable weapons. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Black Op said:
Crates out in the open are already a proven HL game mechanic. Your disposable gun idea is not.

Disposable gun idea was simply one suggestion. But your grasping at this point and its all you can harp on. The main point is most people would have liked new weapons. Original or whatever. Probably the majority of the people who post here are major hl fans and dont want anything said against what valve does.

City 17 doesn't exist too along with what I already mentioned, so your point here is invalid. The HL2 setting is merely based on a fictional Earth and nothing more.

Dont understand what you mean with the 1st sentence. Does raising the bar imply anything besides earth as we know it plus black mesa and aliens about to invade?

Nope, the reason is because having a bunch of real-life weapons for the sake of it is cool only to you. Everyone else here thinks the traditional methods for implimenting new weapons should be kept, along with the fact new weapons shouldn't be just random real-life guns but actual based off original VALVe concepts.

Why do so many people download these mods? 57k downloaded that 1. Doesnt count how many downloaded earlier versions and didnt the latest.

Standard Resistance fighters all seem capable of taking on Overwatch soldiers and taking reasonable casualties. That's all they need in order to raid small Overwatch outposts and get the Hell out before backup arrives.

Does raising the bar state that everyone has the same aiming ability, combat instinct etc? No. If freeman wasnt there, surely the colonel would have a fighter that he has more confidence in than the others.

The appearence of Zombines is symbolic of how the Overwatch's situation on Earth is FUBAR thanks to Freeman. However throwing in new weapons only to throw them away later has no symbolic meaning other than being a waste of time.

Why are you obsessed with with that 1 idea? The thread starter said there should be new weapons. And he got shot down by the... i wont say the word.
I just gave 1 example of how it could be implemented since some say it would be implausuble for a new weapon to appear. Just as plausible as a new enemy and without any explanation.

Pre-invasion weapons have no place available for them in the HL2 weapon inventory. Nobody else cares for them as well. I'd rather use new Combine weapons than mere hunting rifles.

Every weapon besides the gg and the pulse is a pre invasion weapon. Just remade by the combine.

I'm not impressed unless VALVe show signs they'd actually impliment your suggestions. So far, enough fans are satisified with the current HL system as it operates. There's no reason now to deviate from this working system by inserting disposable weapons.

My main point is new weapons. But since you're still harping on the disposable gun idea: It worked very well in fear and farcry. They werent 1 time use but some of them rarely appeared later on.

kag30 said:
Disposable gun idea was simply one suggestion. But your grasping at this point and its all you can harp on. The main point is most people would have liked new weapons. Original or whatever. Probably the majority of the people who post here are major hl fans and dont want anything said against what valve does.
Naturally, the disposable gun idea is getting criticized the most because it's the stupidest one. I've stated numerous times that VALVe can create better weapon ideas, but you have chosen to ignore my previous statements.

Dont understand what you mean with the 1st sentence. Does raising the bar imply anything besides earth as we know it plus black mesa and aliens about to invade?
Liberties can be taken in fiction. HL is a piece of fiction. Just because secret bunkers exist in real-life dosen't mean they have to be used in HL. Especially if they exist only to justify a flawed gameplay mechanic such as throw away weapons.

Why do so many people download these mods? 57k downloaded that 1. Doesnt count how many downloaded earlier versions and didnt the latest.
The amount of people that downloaded one mod is not relevant to this issue. Neither can it be assumed that the majority of HL fans want HL game mechanics to change just because 57k downloaded a mod.

Does raising the bar state that everyone has the same aiming ability, combat instinct etc? No. If freeman wasnt there, surely the colonel would have a fighter that he has more confidence in than the others.
Such temporary hero figures don't really have a place in the HL mythology. Alxy and Barney already serve that role more or less.

Why are you obsessed with with that 1 idea? The thread starter said there should be new weapons. And he got shot down by the... i wont say the word.
I just gave 1 example of how it could be implemented since some say it would be implausuble for a new weapon to appear. Just as plausible as a new enemy and without any explanation.
I already explained how throw away guns are stupid. I'm sure due to storyline circumstances, new weapons have a shot at showing up in EP2. However I don't want them to be implimented in your fashion.

Every weapon besides the gg and the pulse is a pre invasion weapon. Just remade by the combine.
If the Combine or the Resistance create a weapon, it does not count as a pre-invasion weapon. Hardly any guns made before the invasion will still be existing, so why bother?

My main point is new weapons. But since you're still harping on the disposable gun idea: It worked very well in fear and farcry. They werent 1 time use but some of them rarely appeared later on.
What works in some games won't work in others. Maybe if you stoped promoting your disposable gun ideas, this debate can finally cease.

kupoartist said:
I disagree to agree to disagree!
I second that motion. May quotes needlessly appear in this thread forever more! :cheese:

Black Op said:
I already explained how throw away guns are stupid. I'm sure due to storyline circumstances, new weapons have a shot at showing up in EP2. However I don't want them to be implimented in your fashion.

If the Combine or the Resistance create a weapon, it does not count as a pre-invasion weapon. Hardly any guns made before the invasion will still be existing, so why bother?

What works in some games won't work in others. Maybe if you stoped promoting your disposable gun ideas, this debate can finally cease.

How did the storyline prevent new weapons in ep1?

So far all the weapons are copies of pre-invasion weapons. Sans the pulse rifle.

Why wont it work in this game?

Is there anything you would change in hl2 or ep1?

kag30 said:
How did the storyline prevent new weapons in ep1?
Because you were in the same setting as the last HL2 chapters.

So far all the weapons are copies of pre-invasion weapons. Sans the pulse rifle.
Key word being copies. Practically all the equipment in use by the humanoid Combine are based off pre-invasion examples. It doesn't mean in any fashion that actual pre-invasion weapons survived. Therefore this argument is meaningless.

Why wont it work in this game?
It does not make sense to suddenly feature throw-away guns when HL gamers are already accustomed to having permanent weapons. HL also has no need for multiple types of pea-shooters, revolvers, shotguns, SMGs, ARs, and long range weapons. Any further additions will clutter things needlessly when inventory space is better used for more original weapons.

Is there anything you would change in hl2 or ep1?
I wouldn't bother, as what I like might bother others.

Back