Alan Wake's graphics said to "rival Unreal Engine 3"

idf10.jpg

idf9.jpg

Those Screenshots still arn't as good as Pong.

Damn I might just get Core 2 Quad instead of Duo.... I hope the cheapest version will 'pull off an e6300'.

A lot of engines can rival Unreal 3......

Source
Offset Engine
Doom Engine
Reality Engine

Im sure im missing some.

Damn I might just get Core 2 Quad instead of Duo.... I hope the cheapest version will 'pull off an e6300'.
Well, it's been stated that the Kentsfield series(codename for the Core 2 Quad processor(s)) will "cost significantly more than the Core 2 Duo series".:\
So I wouldn't get my hopes up.. I hate this, just when I was planning on buying a new comp and I get info on this stuff and I feel like "Why bother" if my E6700 would only be aged in a few months anyway ; (

It will be the E6300 (highly overclocked) or one of the Quad cores for me. I know they are more expensive per Ghz, but if they OC just as well, there should be no problem.

K6300 @1.6Ghz for $200
OC to 3.5Ghz

E6300 @1.86Ghz for $180
OC to 3.5Ghz

I hope it will be something like that. If so, Quad for me.

They are litterally 2 Conroes glued together (communicating via the FSB). So I expect them to OC to the same high frequencies. Although heat might become a problem then.

We'll see.

Good to see that Remedy is optimising their game for processors that about 5% of the community will have when the game comes out.
/sarcasm

Heh indeed Shakermaker, I'll still go for a Core 2 Duo, then maybe upgrade to a Quad later on when they're actually 'necessary' and perhaps a bit cheaper, although I dunno the launchprice yet..

Been waiting for more info about this game. Nice to see the engine scales as well so those of us who're still on single cores aren't left out in the cold.

I'm still going for a duo too. Only hardcore rich kids will get a quad for Wake.

Good to see that Remedy is optimising their game for processors that about 5% of the community will have when the game comes out.
/sarcasm

Not to mention that it'll be a Vista exclusive game.

Not to mention that it'll be a Vista exclusive game.

Yeah, that too. Relic is probably focussing on the 360-version, with the PC version more as an example of what is possible with Vista and an über system. That sux imho.

Relic..? Dude, it's Remedy that are developing this.>_<*Smacks Shakermaker*

/sarcasm

Probably being generous saying 5% of the community, even.

Wow. Yes, I would say that they certainly rival the UE3 and even surpass it from what I have seen in that video. Amazing stuff. Can't wait for this one! Too bad I only have a measly 3.6GHz single core Intel processor. :(

Remedy's lead game designer who posts on Evil Avatar said that the quad cores are "helpful", but far from "necessary" for the game. He also said that the demo was NOT running on an SLI-configured PC, but on one nVidia GPU (he didn't say which one though so it's probably their DX10 card).

It will look the same. The 360 is their main platform.
I don't know where you have gotten this information that the 360 is their main platform (source?), but here is some more about performance on PC vs. 360:

The game will actually spawn five independent threads: one for rendering, audio, streaming, physics and terrain tessellation. The rendering thread is the same as it would be in any game, simply preparing vertices and data to be sent to the GPU for rendering. The audio thread will obviously be used for all audio in the game, although Remedy indicates that it is far from a CPU intensive thread.

The streaming thread will be used to stream data off of the DVD or hard disk as well as decompress the data on the fly. Remedy's goal here is to have a completely seamless transition as you move from one area to the next in Alan Wake's 36 square mile environment, without loading screens/pauses. With Alan Wake being developed simultaneously for both the Xbox 360 and the PC, efficiency is quite high as developing for a console forces a developer to be much more focused than on a PC since you are given limited resources on a console. Markus admitted that being a PC-only developer can easily lead to laziness, and developing for the 360 has improved the efficiency of Alan Wake tremendously. With that said, Markus expects the visual and gameplay experience to be identical on the Xbox 360 and the PC when Alan Wake ships, hopefully without any in-game load screens.
Source.

Pretty hard to believe, but if they can pull it off, then I will be extremely impressed and will likely buy a 360 that day!

Oh, and about the test system:
The demo ran extremely well on the test system, which was a Core 2 Quad running at 3.73GHz with a GeForce 7900 GTX. Markus said that it would have run just as well if the Core 2 Quad was running at its default clock speed, which we assume was 2.66GHz.
Source is same as above.

And people still doubt the sheer power and value for money that the 360 offers (most probably based on the launch titles - never a smart move), while failing to see the poor value pc components are in comparison. I hate to think how much a Core 2 Quad will cost, but let's face it, we're talking obscene amounts (certainly more than all the next gen console put together, and probably with lots of change)

'Markus admitted that being a PC-only developer can easily lead to laziness' - hardly a revelation, this has been the case for years. It's just nice to hear a developer admit it :)

//end rant

Alan Wake is looking more tasty by the day :)

When is this game due for release?
EDIT: don't know how valid this is, but IGN has a release slated for January 2007. Probably will release with Vista.

For the love of god why do they still use 3rd person thunderbird puppets in games WHY GOD WHY

No problem, I probably should have included that to begin with. I never make up stuff, but I kinda forgot no-one here knows me.

Anyway, this is good news for us without insane computers.

No problem, I probably should have included that to begin with. I never make up stuff, but I kinda forgot no-one here knows me.

Anyway, this is good news for us without insane computers.

No kidding. A PS3, a 360, and a Wii combined will still be less money than a crazy top-o-the-line rig next year! Sounds good to me! (Though I will still probably upgrade to quad core, etc eventually.)

Any information of the release date beside the wild speculation of January?

A lot of engines can rival Unreal 3......

Source
Offset Engine
Doom Engine
Reality Engine

Im sure im missing some.

Reality was actually bought by Epic.

Anyways, Source, I'm sorry to say, really doesn't hold up to Unreal 3. If you can show me a Source powered game that looks like Gears of War or Unreal Tournament 2k7, then I'll believe you.

The Offset engine looks good, but we haven't seen it rendering large areas or multiple character models yet.

Doom looks great with Carmack's mega texture pack, and I can't wait to see what the next Wolfenstein looks like.

Alan Wake looks fantastic, as all Remedy's games have.

But I think the killer engine out there might by CryEngine 2. Now Crysis looks FANTASIC and is really powerful.

I think that and UE3.0 are the best out there right now.

I really look forward to the new games based off the 'new' Doom 3 engine, because it'll future REAL SOFTSHADOWS for what might be the first time in games..
"Future games built on this engine will feature true soft shadows. This is unlike the "fake" soft-shadows found in other engines which blur the edge of the shadows — instead, it will use shading calculated correctly by deriving the penumbra of the shadow from the distance from the occluder and the light."

Back