Alas...Father Grigori?

Kevin

Reaction score
Waaahahahaait. Does Father Grigori die in Ravenholm, sacrificing himself to let you through the gate into the mines?

Because when i turned back i saw ALOT of zombies coming from the back of the graveyard and he did set a part of the place on fire and laugh manically, while being overwhelmed.

So whats up?

I think he's just crazy enough to manage to survive that kind of thing.

No seriously. Because the music sounded sad and stuff.
And there WERE alot of zombies there.

I don't believe Jesus could come back to life.

But Father Grigori? He might pull it off.

I don't believe Jesus could come back to life.

But Father Grigori? He might pull it off.

Best. Summary of Father Grigori. Evar.

As I remember it, he steps behind the burning gas and procedes to own all teh zombies with his shotgun. Someone should noclip back there and check. I have no HL2 right now... ;(

Noclipping wouldnt show us, because we're not supposed to see what we don't see without noclip, if that makes sense. I think he's supposed to burn in the flames or something.

It sounds like he's pretty seasoned in dealing with the local necrotics from the bits of dialog you catch throughout the game. I think he wastes them.

The Wikipedia entry on Grigori used to describe what happens when you no clip at the graveyard. As I recall, it's something pretty unremarkable. He goes into the tomb, then comes out, pauses and disappears or something like that. They definitely don't show him dying.

I think his fate, like the fate of so many others in the HL2 universe, is meant to be unclear. It'd be kinda cool to see the Parde again, but it would rob him of a bit of his mystique to bring him back. As it is, the Ravenholm chapter ends on a very eeire, ambiguous note--which is pretty appropriate, wouldn't you say?

Maybe in Ep 2. while wandering alone in a mineshift untouched by antlions, but full with zombies we will see him again. Woe to thee!

Valve didn't plan a definative ending for him in that scene, I think... in some games he gets pwned by Zombies, in other games he just retreats into the tomb and dissappears. But in most games you just hear him laughing madly and firing Annabelle into the zombie-love-crowd.

He got into the tomb for a reason. There must be some secret passage out. The escape route should all be planned since Grigori has been living in that place for years. But I doubt whether he survived the citadel explosion.

Valve didn't plan a definative ending for him in that scene, I think... in some games he gets pwned by Zombies, in other games he just retreats into the tomb and dissappears. But in most games you just hear him laughing madly and firing Annabelle into the zombie-love-crowd.

The first time I played through was funny. G. just stood there saying his spiel while a hulker continually swiped at his back. I didn't see him die, though.

I think Ravenholm remained untouched by the citadels explosion.
It WAS pretty far away.

For example the train ride out of C17 in the end of Ep.1 seems shorter then the Mudskipper ride thru the canals. Yet, you still survived the citadels explosion.

Yeah, I always see him just running around in the flames, unhurt and laughing his crazy laugh. :p But then he backs into the tomb thing and shoots some more, then runs off into the side of the tomb. I think it's possible he's still alive, screw all you haters. :| I like to imagine the tomb leads to a whole series of underground catacombs that are deep enough for him to have survived any explosion that may have reached Ravenholm.

It's totally ambiguous. Until we have definite proof from Valve, whether via another appearance or a word from Laidlaw, Newell, or another spokesman, Grigori's fate is up to you.

Grigori looks exactly the kind of guy Valve would bring back.
Like in some trailer or something.
Where your being swarmed by zombies and then suddenly, you hear a gunshot with father grigori shooting from a ledge and laughing and saying stuff like "Quickly brother! Run!" or something.

Grigori lives, IMO. He's too awesome to die. Plus he's been there awhile so he's like, a qualified zombie hunter. Besides, there's only so many people in Ravenholm that could be zombified, so he'd eventually win through sheer attrition if his ammo holds out. Though I imagine he could kill the rest with a sufficiently sturdy improvised weapon as well.

I have to wonder how he sleeps/eats/takes a leak in that place though. The safe point before the graveyard only has, well, a bent fence between it and zombie hordes in the graveyard.

He's gotta like, have a bed surrounded by traps or something...

He can take a leak down on the zombies from up above easily.

And about eating and sleeping...have you ever wondered WHY he was crazy?
Besides the zombies.
I found a few beer bottles but nothing more.

He was taught by the all-knowing Vort himself.

"They don't exactly taste like crab,but..."

Grigori can actually die once he lets you through the gate. He doesn't always though (I made sure of that before I entered the mines the first time I played, wasted most of my ammo!). The fact that Valve allow him to die would suggest that he ain't coming back.

Grigori can actually die once he lets you through the gate. He doesn't always though (I made sure of that before I entered the mines the first time I played, wasted most of my ammo!). The fact that Valve allow him to die would suggest that he ain't coming back.

NON-BELIEVER!

*declares a crusade against riomhaire and all who don't believe in the resurrection of Grigori*

There's afew things that happened to him in my game, most commonly he kills all the zombies & escapes in a secret passage way through the tomb, lol1: afew times when i played he would blow himself up! lol! lol2: he would get damaged by the explosion and pwned by the zombies! well, end of my post.

He got into a Cadillac and drove away to the combine HQ and sabotages all the combine suits with headcrabs in them giving him a reason to kill all the combines

Exactly! And of course he's the one who made the first zombines... just didnt have time to kill them though..

Honestly, even tough he is your typical uber-priest, he couldn't have lasted for long. When you do give weapon_annabelle, you see it as a maximum capacity of 12 and takes only 2 rounds at the time.

And seeing all the zombies that were there...

Poor poor poor grigori.

Grigori looks exactly the kind of guy Valve would bring back.
Lol, I've always felt that he is the kind of guy Valve will never bring back, fan favourite or not. Just the fact that he can die in game (without you losing) means to me that they never had any plans for his return.

No, your wrong.
If he dies, it's game over.
Play Ravenholm.

...Well he IS important untill you get past the gate.

...Well he IS important untill you get past the gate.
Yea... that was my point he can die once you get past the gate. If he was a character Valve though they would bring back he wouldn't be able to die at that point.

Yea... that was my point he can die once you get past the gate. If he was a character Valve though they would bring back he wouldn't be able to die at that point.

Not necessarily. They might just have not bothered to make him invincible past the point where his death is not longer a gameplay factor. HL2 is very linear and you're supposed to leave, not wait around to watch him get swarmed with zombies (that's supposed to be the last image of him) so I don't think he's definitively supposed to die, as he doesn't appear to actually die most of the time.

I doubt we'll ever see him again though.

Yeah, I had no idea he could die once you've passed that gate. That would seem to indicate he's not coming back.

I'll say it again, though. I like the idea that his fate is left ambiguous and that we'll probably never know for sure. Grigori worked, as a character, in Ravenholm. I'm not sure he'd work as well elsewhere.

...I don't think he's definitively supposed to die, as he doesn't appear to actually die most of the time.
Ahh, but he isn't definitely supposed to live either. The canon of Grigori is ambiguous, it can change every time you play the game.

Grigori worked, as a character, in Ravenholm. I'm not sure he'd work as well elsewhere.

Exacatacly. We would be out of place elsewhere, and there wouldn't be that much Valve could feasibly do with him. He might appear as a small mention somewhere, maybe in someone's speech, maybe there will be a small reference to him somewhere else. At most, we could catch a glimpse of him. But he won't be playing any major parts, probably.

For the love of God, someone just e-mail Valve, and ask about it...:rolleyes:

For the love of God, someone just e-mail Valve, and ask about it...:rolleyes:
1: Do you really want to bother Valve with something so trivial?
2: Knowing the anwser takes away the fun of depating it.

If there was a zombie movie with a town full of zombies and some survivors, that are trying to escape, and one of them is mad and pops out here and there and kills zombies.
THAT...would be a reference to Father Grigori.

But he might show up again somewhere.
Maybe in the last episodes of Half life, as someone you've forgotten long ago.

And a little question:It has been said he can't hold on there for long, depending on how long his ammo will last. But what if he runs out of zombies to kill?

Father Grigori survives. When he opened the gate and closed it for me the ZOmbies game. Just for good measure I used the 2nd function of the Shotgun to pwn the Z0mbies that were gonna attack him. He then lights the place on fire and dissapears into the crypt laughing.

Whats really sad is that he's the only one left in a town by himself.

Back