Votes: 49 68.1%
  • No , not intelligent life

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • Earth is unique in the universe

Votes: 2 2.8%

• Total voters
Easy there Sheepo.
Vikings will come get you.

You're doing it wrong. The "Vikings" are from Denmark and Norway, the Swedish vikings preferred to march on land in companies called a "Rus". Supposedly that's how Russia got it's name.

Swedish Vikings will kick his ass then.
Some people...

Its close to impossible that there isnt any other life-form in the universe...
Nebula's (big space clouds in which stars are born... ****ing huge things) are entirely made up of Amino Acids, which are the building blocks of life.
Uh-huh. At what concentrations may I ask?

There has to be life somewhere other than Earth, space is massive. We can't be the only planet with life.

One day, life will find a dead little backwater planet and it'll have a good little chuckle about how self-important that nowhere world was before it anti-climatically disappeared from history with the by numbers civilization we managed. Alien students in low-level universities will take "Earth Studies" because the year abroad gets them within a stone's throw of the psychedelic gasses of Jupiter. But one student goes too far and chokes to death on his own vomit. Calls to cordon off the earth system are listened too, and it becomes overgrown with space weeds, and forgotten once more.

Other planets? Yeah eventually.
Other solar systems? Possibly, and if so not for an immensely long time. Unless some aliens appear and give us their speedhax tech, lolol!!1

If aliens speak like that, the entire reason they came to earth was to watch pr0n.

They're probably out there, but not necessarily watching us.

I believe ETs exist, but I believe that all UFO encounters are a hoax. An elaborate means of propaganda devised by the government to keep the media distracted from Area 51's true intentions, which is most likely a highly sophisticated research center where all types of research can be conducted outside of moral and legal obligations. No alien technology of course, but all human ingenuity.

There are no means of faster than light travel other than space folding, (which technically means the craft doesn't move at all, so it's not really traveling faster than light) and probably very few alien civilizations out in the universe are sophisticated enough to achieve this. Even so, the chances of one of these civilizations discovering Earth is very small. Like a .0000000001 chance or something.

There was some kind of equation used to determine an estimated number of alien civilizations out in our galaxy, but if I recall correctly, the estimate was very low.

This is only theory anyways. Nobody truly knows.

BTW, dismissing aliens as non-existent altogether and saying we are the only civilization in the universe is very arrogant imo.

Again, nobody truly knows, so why say they don't exist at all?

EDIT> From what many people are posting in this thread, if there ever was alien contact and they managed to hack our information network, if the first webpage they found was this thread, they probably would dismiss the likelyhood of intelligent life on Earth and move on. Of course, this is assuming their goal is also to discover other intelligent life in the universe.

:|

Seriously, many of you guys act like immature children. Give the OP a break already.

Enjoy the infraction Seppo. *watches thread closely*

There was some kind of equation used to determine an estimated number of alien civilizations out in our galaxy, but if I recall correctly, the estimate was very low.
What constitutes "low"?

I strongly belive there is someting living in my closet thats not from this earth!!!

As I always say, the problem with Drake's equation is that it is based on made up data. We have never seen life arise spontaneously, or done so in a lab. We have no idea what is necessary, or what the odds are of it. Picking a really small probability out of a hat, could still be overestimating that probability by many orders of magnitude.

Using the existence of life on Earth, and stating that Earth is no special planet is a huge anthropic bias. For all we know, arriving at life on a single planet could be all the universe is capable of. You cannot extrapolate from a single point, especially when that point is your existence.

Anthropic bias is an amazingly difficult bias to see past, as well.

Back