All my steam games crash, please help :(

S

sH0wB0aT

My problem has been brought up here, but I have yet to find a solution. I've tried everything that was recommended but nothing has worked.

I have the "failed to lock vertex buffer CMeshDX8::LockVertexBuffer" engine error. It happens with all my steam games. It comes and goes. When the game does work, I will sometimes get weird artifacts. Like white lines going across my screen. Or sometimes the player models will glitch and turn yellow and the gun will disappear. I even got a nv4_disp.dll BSOD once. Some memory errors. Note that this ONLY happens with steam games. Every other game I own or play runs very well. And they are much more graphic intense than CS:S.. Such as Splinter Cell: double agent, NFS: Carbon, BF2, Crysis MP demo, BioShock, Rainbow 6 Vegas, Flatout 2, GTA San Andreas, COD4 demo, etc. All games run smooth and perfect, except for my steam games. So I'm ruling out that it's my video card causing the issues. I've reinstalled the drivers, tried different drivers, everything you can think of. And yes, I use drivercleanerpro to remove the drivers while in safe mode. Right now I'm using NGO's latest release of modified Nvidia drivers which seem to work the best so far.

I've uninstalled steam completely and reinstalled, problem still persist. I've noticed that if I have task manager open, and notice that CS:S is stalling (usually happens when retrieving server info), it shows as "Not responding" and takes up like 500,000K. Sometimes I wont even get the engine error I stated above. Sometimes it will just freeze on "retrieving server info" and I can't alt tab or bring up task manager. I am forced to reboot with the quick reboot button.

I've run 3Dmark06 and score a 7597, which is OK for my setup I think. No artifacts, no glitches, nothing. It's steam :(

I need a solution. I'm playing CAL and am forced to sit out and let the bench warmers rotate my starting position.

I've also read that most users who experience this have ATI.. but I don't so that rules me out from their Catalyst issues.

My specs are as follows:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 4300 @ 1.80GHz (2 CPUs) with Tuniq Tower Ultra Silent Cooler
Memory: 2048MB/2GB DDR2 RAM
Hard Drive: 236 GB Total
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB VDDR3 Stock
Monitor: 22" Samsung 226CW Widescreen LCD
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Card
Speakers/Headphones: SENNHEISER HD555 3.5mm/ 6.3mm Connector Circumaural Stereo Headphone and Logitech 5.1 surround sound speakers
Keyboard: Razer Tarantula
Mouse: Razer Deathadder
Mouse Surface: SteelSeries Pro Gaming 5L
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
Motherboard: Asus P5LD2
Power Supply Unit: Antec NeoPower NeoHE 550 ATX12V 550W Power Supply
Computer Case: Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower (All fans on high for the ultimate cool system)
Gaming Controller: Logitech Dual Action USB

Please help. I am willing to try anything. I've also run memtest with no errors. But I will try it again or any tests you guys suggest. Thanks in advance.

And BTW, my account is legit... I've been reading through some of these threads and it seems lots of people have illegal copies or downloads.

My accounts are legit. I actually have 3 different steamIDs. None of them VAC'ed, just for personal reasons. Games crash on every account.

Could this be a memory issue?

Back