America's Army Joins Steam

DigiQ8

Tank
Reaction score
<div align="center"></div>

[br]America's Army 3, delivers an authentic and entertaining Army experience by reflecting the training, technology, actions, and career advancement of a Soldier within an exciting free game experience and it's now available for preload on Steam.[br]

Using the U3 Engine, America's Army promises to deliver stunningly realistic characters, environments, lighting effects, animations, and team-based experiences. In the game where Every Detail Counts.[br]

AA3 is free and will be released on June 17, 2009.[br]

P.S Sloth cares about this news.

So if any of you send Digi hate mail, about how you don't care - I will hunt you down. Got that?

Time to get all my mates on Steam to get AA3 and have some fun - they never end up buying games anyway...

I don't care.

Kidding, it's just that the AA games have been generic shooters used for propaganda. I do like the fact that the programmers actually incorporated training in both the physical and mental into this game.

I'm very stoked. Before the 2.6.X shit updates my friends and i used to play the hell out of this game. I seriously logged like 150 hours. Hopefully it will be as fun as it used to be.

So if any of you send Digi hate mail, about how you don't care - I will hunt you down. Got that?

Time to get all my mates on Steam to get AA3 and have some fun - they never end up buying games anyway...
Your sig is too big.

reported.

edit: I'm kidding, I didn't report you <3

Though it may be propaganda to some degree, I don't think it works too well. I'm definitely not going to run out and join the military just because of this game. I don't know anyone else that would do that either.

I'll check it out mainly because it's free. Went ahead and started the pre-load. Man I love steam, 2.7MB/s :D

LOL! I remember the original AA and how some jack ass would throw a grenade at his own team as soon as they spawned, killing 2-3 guys and wounding everyone else. It got to the point where I accidentally took my grenade out in the spawn room and all my teammates started shooting at me.

I'm already pre-loading and I've already reserved the name Reflex :D

LOL! I remember the original AA and how some jack ass would throw a grenade at his own team as soon as they spawned, killing 2-3 guys and wounding everyone else. It got to the point where I accidentally took my grenade out in the spawn room and all my teammates started shooting at me.

Priceless.

Can't wait, brilliantly designed game(s) despite the gut feeling of guilty from playing thinking about how this is our tax dollars at work. Pre-loaded and I eagerly anticipate next week's launch. We should all hop on and server and play together.

I do like the fact that the programmers actually incorporated training in both the physical and mental into this game.

That was probably my favorite part of the game, the training.

Every server I joined lagged like hell.

I've beta tested AA3, and it's a truly horrible experience, doesn't feel realistic, cumbersome and tedious movement. The second AA is much nicer to play I find.

I'm actually glad they slowed down movement and bunny hopping, those were basically my only frustrations in 2.x

I used to play this ALL the time. Guess it's time to try playing again eh?

After checking out the "Authenticity" trailer, I'm not very impressed at all. It seems AA3 is pretty much completely directed towards realism. In my opinion, BAM, they've hit a problem right there, straight away.

I'll give you a little story. Several months ago, my class (I'm in sixth form) recieved a lecture from an animator. Apparently, he's a close friend of another lead animator who works in the video games industry (with works on Driver 1/2/3 etc). He explained that one of the biggest problems with animation is that when you try too hard to make something appear and move realistically, in most cases, you'll actually end up progressing in the opposite direction.

The example he gave was of animating a face. After many layers and revision of the animation, the final result actually appeared terrible; alien-like and most definetly not realistic or natural.

Point is, I reckon the final, released version of AA3 will carry some horrible flaws; due to most efforts being thrown at "realism." Also, I hate to say it, but the soldier movements in that video look dire - I swear that CoD4's animation looks more realistic than that?

Thank god we've got games like TF2 that steer away from this sh***y "realism" trend/fascination in the games industry.

Your sweeping generalization are foolproof.

I preloaded this even though I've not followed it and never touched AA2. Why? because it's Steam and it's just that damn easy.

After checking out the "Authenticity" trailer, I'm not very impressed at all. It seems AA3 is pretty much completely directed towards realism. In my opinion, BAM, they've hit a problem right there, straight away.

I'll give you a little story. Several months ago, my class (I'm in sixth form) recieved a lecture from an animator. Apparently, he's a close friend of another lead animator who works in the video games industry (with works on Driver 1/2/3 etc). He explained that one of the biggest problems with animation is that when you try too hard to make something appear and move realistically, in most cases, you'll actually end up progressing in the opposite direction.

The example he gave was of animating a face. After many layers and revision of the animation, the final result actually appeared terrible; alien-like and most definetly not realistic or natural.

Point is, I reckon the final, released version of AA3 will carry some horrible flaws; due to most efforts being thrown at "realism." Also, I hate to say it, but the soldier movements in that video look dire - I swear that CoD4's animation looks more realistic than that?

Thank god we've got games like TF2 that steer away from this sh***y "realism" trend/fascination in the games industry.

You've obviously never played the other AAs.

Your sweeping generalization are foolproof.

I preloaded this even though I've not followed it and never touched AA2. Why? because it's Steam and it's just that damn easy.

Funny thing is, I never even mentioned "stuff" in my previous post. Foo'

Games with large elements of realism actually play very well if you are playing with the right people who have the right mindset going into the game. Project Reality Mod for BF2 is a fine example of this.

Point being?

Your generalizations are idiotic.
You're judging it by the animations, when the studio behind AA aren't exactly professional animators... it's the gameplay that matters.

The gameplay in the AA series is excellent, the graphics were never really its selling point.
It absolutely requires teamwork and constant communication to stay alive since you die from just a few shots.

I was thinking of trying this out sometime, guess this is a good excuse.

You can download the beta without a subscription from fileplanet now.

Gonna give this one a try but I could really never get back into the first one after they introduced the special forces stuff. I spent way to much time on that bridge map though.

Thanks for the heads up, Sainku. Downloadin' the beta. Bridge was epic!

Has anyone played the beta yet? I am unable to install the Deploy client, so I'm stuck waiting until June 17th. Any impressions?

It's fun, if not a bit rough around the edges. The propaganda is laid on a bit more thick this go around, but that's to be expected. The movement, animation and emphasis on tactics is nothing short of amazing. It's now possible to execute tactical rolls, slide crouches and even leaning while prone and firing with your irons upside-down. The training is more extensive and immersive and occasionally even fun, if not a bit scarily brain-washing.

Everything feels very physical, from the cracking of nearby bullets breaking the sound barrier to medics who select from smelling salts to treat shock to splints for damaged limbs and OPAs for obstructed airways. Bridge is gorgeous now as well. As expected it's an extremely well constructed multiplayer shooter with a strong emphasis on teamwork and progression elements. It's AA 2.x with all the improvements possible in UE3 and a full redesign.

Could be a good time to get back into AA, I haven't played it in years and years. Bridge was an awesome map.

Well it's released now. Can't seem to play it though. The authentication servers seem to be down/getting hammered. It let me login once but then the loading for the obstacle course took about 5 minutes. I failed the first attempt, had to retry and go through the loading again. Got tired of waiting and ctrl+alt+delete closed the game.

Might try later. Too much of a hassle right now.

It's not even released yet on my end, lol.

I had the same problem saying it was still locked. I just had to restart steam a few times and it started updating. I don't know what the point to pre loading was, there was a quite a hefty update.

Decrypting right now.
This is going to take a damn long time. :(

blah talking to glenn i forgot to download it wants me to come back in a few hours. :(

The training appears to be bugged. I am unable to progress from Weapon Familiarization, since no matter how well I do, I appear to fail (same thing applies with trying to get Expert rank on the agility course, it seems).

Every time I join a server, the game freezes up.

Back