America's army: recruiting tool or game

Razor said:
CptStern, you see the dying in each round as an inaccuracy that means the recruits don't truely understand the consequences of combat, i see it more of a learning thing "i did this in a previous round and i died, perhaps i should try to do it differently this time", this means you get to try out new tactics with no penalty of death if it doesn't work. This definately helps in training, but it can also help in recruiting. You see the game as a fast paced action game, i see it more of an ultra realistc game that introduces possible new recruits to weapons, to the training, to the tactics and strategy behind beating the bad guys, and then there are others who see it as a fun way to while away the evening at home.

that's just it ..there are no "bad guys" in war ...just soldiers following orders ...if that were true ..bush cheney rumsfeld would be the "bad guys" this round :)

Razor said:
The point is, you're arguing that America's Army has a profound effect on players, an effect that would singlehandedly get a person to join the US army, is that correct?

no, I'm saying it doesnt have enough of a profound effect

Razor said:
Fine, playing America's Army might get teenagers to look at the possibilities and weigh up the pros and cons of joining the army after they finish school, but i don't think it is the only stepping stone a long the way, like i said, joining the armed forces is a lot more then just playing the game and signing up the next day, or for the British forces anyway. If the American Army is based just on the principal of someone showing up, signing and contract and they're immediately shipped off to boot camp after a quick medical, then that is a serious problem with the recruiting phase of the US armed forces, rather then the game.

well using f9/11 as an example, the main stragedy to recruitment is deception

Razor said:
If most American soldiers in Iraq think Saddam was primarily responsible for 9/11, that is the fault of the soldiers not reading up on it. They get newspapers over there, they get news over there, they should be able to piece 2 and 2 together to come out with the correct answer, so i don't know why they still think along the lines that Saddam was responsible.

well if they actually did the research they wouldnt have supported the war in the first place ...the evidence is just too overwhelming to dismiss ...unless you make a concerted effort. But shouldnt the military fill in the gaps? shouldnt the military make sure their soldiers receive the right information, or is that counter-productive? "do as you're told" and all that

CptStern said:
no, I'm saying it doesnt have enough of a profound effect

I thought your argument was that it had such a profound effect that kids ran out and joined up expecting it to be as fun as the game :x

no I said it doesnt accurately portray military life

CptStern said:
no I said it doesnt accurately portray military life

It doesn't portray the whole of military life but it isn't ment to, all it is supposed to do is give a taster of what a recruit might expect interms of training and knowledge, whilst at the same time being fun. You learn a lot faster and you take in a lot more if you're having fun.

yes but it romanticizes the military: "hero vs terrorist"

yes but it romanticizes the military: "hero vs terrorist"

So what if it does? Am I the only one who sees no point to this thread? We should make a new thread called "Army Recruiters: Recuriters or just weird guys hanging out at the mall?"

So what if it does? Am I the only one who sees no point to this thread? We should make a new thread called "Army Recruiters: Recuriters or just weird guys hanging out at the mall?"

You might aswell.

"hero vs terrorist"

Fine, would you like a game entitled: Zarqwai's Army? Where Abu Masab Al-Zarqwai could recruit potential terrorist based upon score and interest in terrorism?

Would that make you happy? I mean, honestly.

GhostFox said:

then why are you participating in it? why bother stating your opinion if you see no point? trolling perhaps?

kerberos said:
Fine, would you like a game entitled: Zarqwai's Army? Where Abu Masab Al-Zarqwai could recruit potential terrorist based upon score and interest in terrorism?

Would that make you happy? I mean, honestly

this is exactly why I rarely bother reading what you have to say

Guys, quit with the quote war please, it is really annoying and takes up alot of space. First off, what game has portrayed military life accurately?
1) Would the game be fun if for 3 months you had to run in a circle on a track in the middle of nowhere?
2) Would it be fun for you to play the "push-up game," where your charachter got yelled at by a scary looking sargent and then did pushups outside, in the rain?
3) Would it be fun for you to play the "pull-up game" Same as push-up game, but pull-ups?

Guys, the whole purpose of a game is fun! Look and the movie, Top Gun, that was such a recruting tool for the Navy, they had booths set up outside the theater. I don't see the booths outside your room. Yes, the game does portray the Army is a not so perfect light, but it was for the fun factor. I am sorry, but watching my char panting as he runs for 8 laps (one lap = 1/4 mile) does not appeal to me. Watching my char getting yelled at for not tying his boots correctly does not appeal to me. Also, the death system was pretty darn acuracte. You got hit is the Chest = you die, you got hit in an arm or leg, you hd better hope there was a medic, otherwise you would bleed to death.

I dont see why you have such squabbles with the game, unless of course you are wanting to pay devils advocate with us, in which case all I have to say is... GET A LIFE.

this is exactly why I rarely bother reading what you have to say

It's the truth Stern, its the truth what I said about you wanting an Al-Zarqwai game. I mean, I could find no other opposite that would make you happy.

I mean, in part from the idea a game ment to be fun should put people in the throes of demoralization through heavy gore factors and screaming/squeeling wounded troops. I mean, if you want to make an anti-war message, by all means, make the game CptStern ... but make it right, but dont troll it games we enjoy, as they are.

K e r b e r o s said:
It's the truth Stern, its the truth what I said about you wanting an Al-Zarqwai game. I mean, I could find no other opposite that would make you happy.

:upstare: so you must know me very well to be able to judge what I want

K e r b e r o s said:
I mean, in part from the idea a game ment to be fun should put people in the throes of demoralization through heavy gore factors and screaming/squeeling wounded troops. I mean, if you want to make an anti-war message, by all means, make the game CptStern ... but make it right, but dont troll it games we enjoy, as they are.

you know, when you try to sound intelligent by using big words it actually backfires on you ..the dictionary is your friend. Anyways it's rambling such as this that keeps people with legitamate points out of the discussion ..I was having a grand ole time exchanging ideas with Razor till you walked in

You don't answer the arguments in my post... why? Becuase they are right, or becuase you are to arrogant to give a sh*t?

It's a game. It's not ultra realistic, but it's not ultra arcadey either. At least I see it as a game. AA had no real affect on me seeing as how I want to still join the Navy. :p

I didnt read all this but it's a recruiting tool. Army developed it because the people who most consider joining enjoy these sort of games... (Along with Counter-Strike)

But CS:S is far better at recruiting than the Army has ever been...

BTW - The Army (And all branches of the military) provide their soldiers with a lot of things they enjoy....

You do have to keep the troops happy... LOL

Back