Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs

I finished all the Penumbra games, yet Amnesia sits on my desktop.

It's not so much the scariness (but it is some of that), it's more of that 'sanity meter' bullshit. There have been other games that do that type of thing and it's ****ing dumb.. I don't wanna have to keep checking if I'm in the light or dark, it's retarded.

Shit. Need to get Black Plague and play it, then play Amnesia.

It's not so much the scariness (but it is some of that), it's more of that 'sanity meter' bullshit. There have been other games that do that type of thing and it's ****ing dumb.. I don't wanna have to keep checking if I'm in the light or dark, it's retarded.

Agreed. Would have preferred it to be like Black Plague.

Agreed. Would have preferred it to be like Black Plague.

Have you finished Amnesia? If so, is the sanity meter thing a big annoyance in it? I feel like I should beat it now that #2 is announced..

Black Plague is still the best game they've made. Amnesia is gut-purgingly scary but I thought the writing was terrible compared to that in the Penumbra games. Probably because they hired a different writer for it. The monsters were terrifying as usual but a lot of the horrifying/disturbing stuff just seemed really contrived and artificial. The horror pieces should all be woven very closely into the story, but in Amnesia it felt like they came up with a load of generically ****ed up things first and then strung them together with a plot that strained to justify any of them. Same with that constant barrage of creepy sound effects and (terribly acted (unlike in Penumbra (which is awesome))) voice snippets; it felt like the developers put them there so people would go "woah that's ****ed up", so they never came across as believable. They were overused as well, which spoiled much of the effect they would have had. Puzzles weren't as interesting either. The story itself was pretty generic Lovecraftian stuff for the most part, and lacked anything as moving or as intriguing as Penumbra's.
And the endings were all shit.

Rant over. I'll buy Amnesia 2 anyway of course, but only because I'm Frictional's bitch.

@Dog--
Sanity meter's annoying, but you get used to it. I does a decent job of increasing tension, since you know you can't just sit safely in the shadows and sulk when there are monsters around like in Penumbra. It did mean however that they had to nerf all the monsters, which now generally just show up for a minute and wander around a bit, then leave. They are much easier to hide from than they were before.

I thought the insanity meter was pretty sweet, didn't find it that obtrusive or contrived at all. The game works really well to show your panic and fear increasing and the importance of not staying in the dark seemed a natural factor. Balancing hiding and maintaining your sanity was pretty interesting.

ffffffff I'm obligated to finish this since I finished all the others. I will have to prepare my mind once more.

Dinnesch, can you handle this? Gargantou, can you handle this? morgs, can you handle this?

I don't think they can handle this.

I was too scared to watch a livestream with my eyes constantly open.

I'm far too terrified to play myself (I had to play the DLC for the potato sack Portal 2 ARG and it gave me a thumping headache in my outrageous terror) but I enjoy watching people play these games. Mack & Mesh series and Day9's play through were an absolute treat to watch. I'm super excited to see all the new videos this game will throw up on youtube.

VERY excited to see what form their next title takes. Amnesia was absolutely brilliant. As I have stated before, atmosphere trumps almost everything for me, so I expect this to not let down at all. These guys have been incredible at generating that, MUCH moreso than the huge, much more well-funded studios.

Oh, and if some of you haven't already noticed, the picture on the site has changed since when I posted the link. It's... pretty bothering.

Clicking it sends you to a site which says "A machine for pigs coming fall two thousand twelve" and links to this picture. I have to say that the art style looks brilliant. Very different from Amnesia.

If you thought monsters with no jaw were scary, get ready for pig monsters!

Please use the search function before you post new threads.

Threads merged and re-named

Amnesia is biased against those of us who aren't afraid of the dark. The dark is my friend! My sanity meter should go up!

Whenever playing Amnesia I always turned up the brightness, and turned off those "psychological" visual effects because otherwise I would get eye strain and headaches.

I tried to make my 12 year old brother try Amnesia, in the dark, with headphones. He got thirty minutes in, said he was bored. He was only slightly amused by the trail of pepto bismol.

I was too scared to watch a livestream with my eyes constantly open.

4 months after this post I finished playing Amnesia thanks to the Humble Bundle. Absolutely terrifying, but it felt really good and satisfying to finish the game. I guess I should put it in my CV.

It's a well made game but only if you treat it how the developers want you to and focus on immersing yourself. Now of course, I couldn't do it. Sometimes I checked maps to see where monsters are supposed to spawn etc. The second game I plan to play properly. On release, to make it impossible to 'cheat'.

I think the sanity meter was a nice thing and never annoying. I especially liked how looking at monsters makes it more likely for them to spot you. The urge to just stare at their twisted silhouettes is huge. Until you see them turn around and walk towards you, at least.

New trailer. Jesus Christ how terrifying. Still no pig face, only pig sounds.

Back