An Early Morning Advertisment Comparison

Baal

Tank
Reaction score
So as I'm sitting here drinking my Five Alive® and eating my cinnamon rasin bagel, watching Sportscentre, I happen to see two commercials.

One, for the PS3. The second, for the Xbox 360 game: Gears of War.

Gears of War (Xbox 360):

http://youtube.com/watch?v=49MMQCtbMd4

PS3:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=OmjRVsWOlEE&mode=related&search=

Now, before you say it, I know. One is for a system, one is for a game. But should one ad be THAT much better than the other? And don't tell me you can't pick the better one. That PS3 ad is atrocious, and I fell in love with the GoW ad when I saw it.

The funny thing is, I've never owned an Xbox, but I do own a PS2. But I think if I were to get a next-gen console it'd be a Wii, without question. Gears of War being the only reason I'd consider an Xbox right now though.

That PS3 ad was ****ing pointless.
It showed nothing about the console. :|

Nice GoW ad though, Mad World's a good song.

That Playstation 3 ads reminds me of how ****ing abstract the PS2 ones were...

Except the PS3 ad made me scared. :eek:

The PS3 one makes you got "WTF?" so you'll probably remember it more and discuss it with people more.

I wonder how effective the GoW video would have been had they used the original version of the song

advertisements are only as good as the ad agency a particular company uses ..the vision is almost always exclusively the ad companies and not the company who makes the product

I really fail to see why Sony advertises the Console while I always see Nintendo and Microsoft advertising the Games.

because nintendo makes the lionshare of games for the system ..sony has mostly 3rd party support

I wish people would stop posting on boards about how bad the PS3 "Baby" ad is.

You're talking about it aren't you? Oops. Sony-mission-complete. People say it doesn't have a point, but here we are discussing it - which was the point all along.

Judging from the amount of play that Baby ad is getting on the net, it is one of the most successful ads of all time. The holy grail for Madison Avenue advertising firms is to pay for a 30-second spot and then have word of mouth carry it across the vast expanses of the internet. All those posts of Kotaku and Joystiq about the ad, all the kids being directed to YouTube? All that is doing is raising brand-conciousness about the PS3.

I also think it's kinda artistic myself.

Yes well I think a guy cutting himself open and throwing it on a canvas is artistic.

The point is, Publicity != Good Publicity.

The point is, Publicity != Good Publicity.

Yes, that is true for politicians who have sex with interns and comedians who fly into racist tirades on stage.

But the comparison doesn't translate to the private sector.

When it comes to companies trying to generate buzz around a product, the first thing you learn on Madison Avenue is that word of mouth is the fastest, best, most assured way of creating hype. The literally thousands of posts all over the internet about the Sony Baby ad? That is the definition of word of mouth. Aside from recall or similar disasters, companies want people talking about their stuff. Period.

I like the PS3 commercials. I dont care if they dont have anything to do with the console. They are just cool to watch.

Well if you compare that PS3 one to that stupid ass commercial the xbox360 had when it came out (with the fake laughing actors with knit sweaters on, etc) ...then i think the ps3 is better hah.

And before you pull out fanboy i'm only buying a 360 in the future not a ps3 :p

I'm sure there is some hidden message in there, explaining why PS3 is the king of next-gen gaming, and why you really need to have it if you are a hardcore gamer. I have heard some suggestion before that actually made sense to me, but I have forgotten about what the person told me.

Oh well.

Back