Ancient Domains of Mystery

MFL

AlbatrossofTime
Reaction score
Around a decade and a half ago, gaming was so far removed from what it is now. We've come a long way. Now we're almost to the point of completely realistic environments and our mechanics are so varied that anybody can play almost any style of game that they want, from the simplest mindless gore-a-thons to the most intriguing combo's of skill and substance.
But all along the way we've been evolving and some things have stayed the course, elements that always make for something better than the rest. The just right grain of difficulty, the uncertainty of a random factor, the twisting strategies of meta, a sense of variety in gameplay. Replayability. Rhythm. Accomplishment. A learning curve to die for. Good stories come and go too, but there have been plenty of classics with none, and a fields of trash with an epic scope.
Time to get to the point.
ADOM has all of that.
Ancient Domains of Mystery is one of the single best games I've played in my thousands of hours logged in the virtual gladiator arena's we all ascribe to. A fantasy land filled with more than a dozen classes with fifty levels apeice, each one bringing something new to the table. Each dungeon is randomly generated, underlaying a personally navigatable world map with secrets to find abounding. Nigh a decade after my first death, I'm still learning things about this game each time I play. Each enemy, of which there are dozens if not hundreds of types, let alone variations thereof, has its own sense of menace. There's power to earn, if you can make it.
And now, ladies and gentlemen, it is coming to STEAM. And getting professionaly developed tilesets to launch this extremely deep game out of the realm of a regular roguelike.
This has all developed in the last few hours. The last sixty days the creator of this game, Thomas Biskup, has been running a crowd-sourcing campaign. Everyone is surprised by how successful it has been for so long. To actually see this classic on Steam... those who have been playing this game for so long, it sends chills up their spine. Honestly, most of us never thought it would make it this far. But somehow it has.
And I just want to say thank you for all these years of on again off again play, play at no cost at that, by giving this the best shout out I can here, in the final hours of this effort. Maybe at least one person will donate at least a dollar as a result. Even if nothing comes of this post, thank you Thomas.
Thanks.

TLDR - lets resurrect ADOM development:
http://www.indiegogo.com/resurrect-adom-development?c=home

I love ADOM, pretty stoked about it coming to Steam :D

That's quite a write up, I'll have to check this out!

What's it like not having an imagination?

Back