Anomalous Materials

Freeman97

Reaction score
I am creating a modification for HALF-LIFE 2 based in the Black Mesa Research Facility based in New Mexico. I am needing people good in one or more of the areas below (I will need to see a portfolio before you are hired on to the team.

-Modeler
-Texture artists
-Map(Level)design *I am the Prototype mapper-I give you a quick idea.
-Really good concept artist
-Sound designer
-Someone who is good at programming npcs and(or) scripting

To get a hold of me email me your portfolio at [email protected]
if you want to join. When you join the project I may or may not give you plans on what I want to start you with.

Yes but I'm way more mature than most 13 year olds and this isn't a remake of Half-Life, this is like one of those old half life mods such as azure sheep,Opposing Force,Blue Shift,Decay,Point of View. Yes I know Decay,Blue Shift,Opposing Force were gearbox and Valve official expansion sets but the first one and last one aren't. But in the source engine and Hl2 graphics

I'm sure everyone is going to want to join a mod team led by a 13 year old, with such an original idea as bringing Black Mesa to the source engine. And your team is like already complete, you only need a sound designer level designer modeler texture artist concept artist (a really good one) and a programmer.

It's fool proof!

do not listen vegeta, you can do it!

I bet because of my age nobody will join. Hey vegeta i have no one, i need those people! and I want a story set in Black Mesa that's new,it may not be original being set in Black mesa, but well that's what I want but without people like vegeta who wants to join

Hey if anyone applys I will be gone this afternoon to maybe Saturday.

Damn Trolls!!!!!!!! There ought to be a revolution to rid the internet of them!!!! THING IS I'M probably the MOST MATURE 13 YEAR OLD you will ever meet!

I'd just like to say that I'm not trolling. I'm just being honest and realistic.

If you have any mod skills, you should try joining an existing team to get some experience for yourself before you take on project lead for something totally new.

The 'people you need' list is basically everything you need to make a mod. What are you bringing to the table? No mod needs an 'ideas guy'. You can't get into the mod scene with the superficial "leader" position. You need some useful skills to actually contribute and gain experience in the mod world.

I've got most the experience that I need I have been editing Half-Life and Half-Life 2 for quite a long time,and I don't want to join any other mod maybe except the new Uplink source but I doubt he will take me I've got some pretty experienced mapping skills but yeah thanks I was just being stupid about the trolling thing. AND NO THAT DOES NOT MAKE ME ANY LESS MATURE FOR BEING STUPID BEFORE anyone
SAYS SOMETHING.

Vegeta, please stop trolling, this young talented man needs some help.

You can't get into the mod scene with the superficial "leader" position. You need some useful skills to actually contribute and gain experience in the mod world.

It worked for Gabe. And HL wasn't a mod, it was a full game. It says on Valve's website that his biggest contribution to Half-Life was this: "C'mon, people, you can't show the player a really big bomb and not let them blow it up." ... lol.

I'm not saying he doesn't have potential. Just trying to point him in the right direction while also being harsh and Vegeta-like.

Hey neither am I, I'm just doubtful (like you) that a 13 year old could lead a team of modders. I'm 16 & I'm barely organised enough to tie my shoelaces.

Hey Freeman97, guess what? I'm 13. AND I CAN'T MOD A COOKIE JAR. Seriously, I think that you should join a modding team and gain experience first. Make a few maps, maybe some custom scripts, some skins, THEN think about modding.

People the best way to learn to do anything is trough failure. So let him fail, realize how stupid he was and try again.

you have no Idea how stupid you other 13 year old fags are, I have been using the half life 1's sdk since I was 8 I understand pretty well and yes I know hl2s tools and files are much more advanced

So you were born in 1997? Jesus christ. Kid, having an attitude won't get you anywhere. People are just being realistic. If you want to get anywhere modding, there is a simple list of things to do.

1) Develop modding skill (mapping, texturing, modeling, scripting, etc)
2) Develop actual examples of this skill (a couple of small maps, environment textures or model skins, a couple of prop models or weapons, some basic gameplay, etc)
3) Using examples, join a pre-existing mod team as a mapper/modeler/coder/artist
4) Gain experience, level up
5) Repeat steps 2-4 many times until you have enough connections and know-how to go to step 6.
6) Found your own mod.

As you can see, you are roughly 4-8 years ahead of yourself, on step 6 when you should be focusing on step 1.

Does anybody else find it hilarious that both of the 13 year-olds in this thread are named some permutation of Gordon Freeman?

Very well said Ennui, I'm gonna have to borrow that list of steps for the next time one of these threads come up.

I think he should change his name to MatureBoy97. That way he doesn't have to tell all you other 13 year old fags that hes so much more mature than you.

Man this thread brings back memories. I got started modding when I was 14 (Jesus Christ that was a decade ago). Though my first mod crashed and burned after a couple of years, it gave me valuable experience...
...That I would use for all subsequent mods before they too crashed.

Im a self thaught but good level deisgner and im bettr in blackmesa type places if you wamt to see a portfolio ill be ok and i might be able to help woth some npc scripting

Freeman97, I would probably say your best route is to make as much of the game as you know how to make, then submit it as a beta mod to the community - if it's a quality build, and it demonstrates your skills with Hammer and as a level designer, I see no reason why people wouldn't jump on board anyway. It's sometimes just a little difficult for others to see past 'the list' post, but you seem headed in the right direction.

Also, Gabe helped to code and maintain the Windows Operating system, so far as I understood it - in Portal 2: The Final Hours, towards his original ventures towards Half-Life, he's quoted as saying something to the tune of "I didn't know if I could do it or not." (I don't have it installed on my laptop atm to quote from directly).

Also, Vegeta - there's no such thing as an original idea, but there is such a thing as copyright infringement. So long as Freeman releases his mod for free (hint hint) I can't see any reason why it'd be such a big deal?

Back