Another Net Neutrailty thread

Krynn72

The Freeman
Reaction score
Horray! I couldn't find the other threads to bump. I know we've had several, but I kept getting no results with the search. And having to wait a minute after every search got lame real quick. So anyways...

In April, a federal appeals court ruled that the FCC didn't have the authority to stop Comcast (or other major ISPs) from blocking online content.

Now the FCC must reassert (or "reclassify") its authority to stop companies like Comcast, AT&T and Verizon from censoring content and to protect the future of online communication.

This idea makes these companies furious. In the first half of 2010, they've spent more than $50 million to pressure the FCC to abandon basic consumer protections.

Now, the FCC is asking the public whether you care enough to stop these companies and their push to control the Internet.

We know what we need to do: Overwhelm the agency with support for Net Neutrality. Make it clear beyond a doubt that preserving the open Internet is the FCC's only option.

If we don’t pressure the FCC to act on our behalf, it will simply hand over control of the Internet to companies that want to undermine the very principle that has made it such a powerful engine of democratic participation, free speech and equal opportunity.

Now the FCC needs to hear from you again. Can you answer these two questions?

1. How is the open Internet an essential part of your life?

2. Why must the FCC act now to protect Net Neutrality?

http://free.convio.net/site/R?i=7lf6wjIWpsxccX6x65jeow..

Do it. USA Only.

Because as we all know writing an email is sure to make our government do the right thing.

Done and done. Also linked on facebook. I really wish the FCC would take control. :/

Because as we all know writing an email is sure to make our government do the right thing.

It worked before. Not to long ago the FCC did an about-face on its stance due to a huge amount of mail coming in. That was before they had their regulating powers stripped from them though.

But go ahead and keep people apathetic by telling them that communicating with the government won't help. That will certainly improve things!

The problem is they can use this however they want to use it. They can say we got all kinds of email that said we should not touch the internet. We won't know and they don't care. They are going to do what they are going to do. And I would love to tell you how you can fix that but I'm at the point where I'm about ready to give up. But if you want to write emails to your government officials knock yourself out.

About a month ago a large fraction of democrats in congress (around 80 from what I recall) wrote the FCC they don't want net neutrality. I have a feeling those 80 democrats will be much louder than 8 million or even 80 million emails from every day Joes. But like I said, feel free to pretend otherwise.

Don't be such a pessimist. You're seeing a possibility of change and abandoning it for the promise of none.

I saw a possibility of atleast some minor change in 2008, I've been quite disappointed since.

Fight's not over, so quit rolling on the ground feigning death.

Posted this to my facebook... which really only allows my family to see it. Hope I don't get any stupid, "But Glenn Beck said...!" crap.

I saw a possibility of atleast some minor change in 2008, I've been quite disappointed since.

And it's that pathetic attitude that causes government to lose touch with its constituency more and more every day.

Believe it or not, the government isn't out to get you. It isn't on your side, though, and that's why communication is critical.

tl;dr: STFU or GTFO.

You guys are so cute.

But yes, sit in front of your computers and blast those emails. I'm sure those emails will be much more important than the opinion of 178 republicans and 80 democrats in the house. Not to mention billions of dollars in corporate money not to mention a 24 hour propaganda machine. Damn, when did I become such a ****ing hippy?

And don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Obama won't fight for net neutrality (I'm still a bit hopeful he will) but I highly doubt your emails to the FCC will have anything to do with it. Now once any of you are ready to get out of the computer chairs and actually do something useful (whether that be by dedicating actual time or spending actual money) let me know...anyone?...yeah, didn't think so. Until then I'll skip on writing emails, I have much more important things to do with my time, such as arguing on the internets.

You guys are so cute.

But yes, sit in front of your computers and blast those emails. I'm sure those emails will be much more important than the opinion of 178 republicans and 80 democrats in the house. Not to mention billions of dollars in corporate money not to mention a 24 hour propaganda machine. Damn, when did I become such a ****ing hippy?

And don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Obama won't fight for net neutrality (I'm still a bit hopeful he will) but I highly doubt your emails to the FCC will have anything to do with it. Now once any of you are ready to get out of the computer chairs and actually do something whether that be dedicating actual time or spending actual money let me know...anyone?...yeah, didn't think so. Until then I'll skip on writing emails, I have much more important things to do with my time, such as arguing on the internets.

I think the last guy we should let know would be one as apathetic as you about the whole thing.

Here's a fact. The internet never has never and will never influence or change anything of importance, let alone matters that concern itself. I mean, that's what you believe anyway, right?

I think the last guy we should let know would be one as apathetic as you about the whole thing.

Like I said, anytime any of you want to actually do something useful such as dedicate actual time or dedicate actual money let me know. You can pretend emails are useful, I like to live in the real world. But since that's the absolute least you could do (I hope you didn't break a sweat in writing that email) I guess believe what you want to believe if it makes you feel better. Arm chair warriors to the rescue!

Here's a fact. The internet never has never and will never influence or change anything of importance, let alone matters that concern itself. I mean, that's what you believe anyway, right?

No, I think the exact opposite. You kind of missed the point.

Like I said, anytime any of you want to actually do something useful such as dedicate actual time or dedicate actual money let me know. You can pretend emails are useful, I like to live in the real world. But since that's the absolute least you could do (I hope you didn't break a sweat in writing that email) I guess believe what you want to believe if it makes you feel better. Arm chair warriors to the rescue!

No, I think the exact opposite. You kind of missed the point.

Quit making retarded assumptions.

Also, again I ask, why should we let you know? You obviously have no ****ing idea what to do, or else you'd be out there doing it instead of complaining that nothing works? Make all the assumptions you want that we only fire off e-mails to family or post stuff on whatever sites we can network it, but it's certainly more than you can think of and are doing. I mean, if you knew something that is so magically great, you'd be out there doing it instead of whining that you've lost hope.

And as Krynn said previously, e-mails to the FCC have already had a direct effect on their stance previously, and there have also been congress people who have been affected by them as well, either negatively or positively. This "woe is us, nobody reads or listens to anything we have to say because it's on the internet" shit is annoying. Phone calls and snail mail correspondence also has a positive effect, the latter of which I've done before. I mean granted, I live in Texas who is mostly run by idiots who stand directly opposed to what I'm asking, but the effort is still worth it.

NO LIMIT YOU STUPID ****

DO YOU WANT TO KNOW A SECRET, THOSE 178 REPUBLICANS AND 80 DEMOCRATS OF WHICH YOU SPEAK (SO BOLDLY WITH NO SOURCE) ARE THERE BECAUSE PEOPLE VOTE THEM INTO OFFICE
IF YOU LET THEM KNOW THAT YOU WILL NOT VOTE FOR THEM IF THEY HOLD A STANCE WITH WHICH YOU DISAGREE, THEN THEY WILL CHANGE THEIR STANDPOINT TO STAY IN OFFICE AND SATISFY THEIR BASAL LIZARDBRAIN HUNGER FOR POWER

IT'S CALLED DEMOCRACY, ****ER, AND IT DOESN'T WORK BECAUSE PEOPLE LIKE YOU THINK APATHY IS OKAY (IT'S NOT)

001fryismadatyouiseewha.png

(I can't tell if you're being sarcastic toaster or regular toaster)

Raziaar I'm making retarded assumptions? Really buddy? What have you done politically lately that involved getting out of a computer chair? Did you even vote?

I'm not sure what Krynn is referring to but I'm sure whatever it is it wasn't emails that made the difference.

toaster leigh, when did you become such a c**t?

http://www.americansforprosperity.org/052410-74-house-democrats-oppose-fccs-internet-takeover

Sorry 74 democrats, not 80. I assume virtually all 178 republicans oppose net neutrality because well, I pay attention. Feel free to prove me wrong, I would be shocked if you found 5 that supported it out of that group.

NO LIMIT YOU STUPID ****

DO YOU WANT TO KNOW A SECRET, THOSE 178 REPUBLICANS AND 80 DEMOCRATS OF WHICH YOU SPEAK (SO BOLDLY WITH NO SOURCE) ARE THERE BECAUSE PEOPLE VOTE THEM INTO OFFICE
IF YOU LET THEM KNOW THAT YOU WILL NOT VOTE FOR THEM IF THEY HOLD A STANCE WITH WHICH YOU DISAGREE, THEN THEY WILL CHANGE THEIR STANDPOINT TO STAY IN OFFICE AND SATISFY THEIR BASAL LIZARDBRAIN HUNGER FOR POWER

IT'S CALLED DEMOCRACY, ****ER, AND IT DOESN'T WORK BECAUSE PEOPLE LIKE YOU THINK APATHY IS OKAY (IT'S NOT)

1243136767726.jpg

I'm making retarded assumptions? Really buddy? What have you done politically lately that involved getting out of a computer chair? Did you even vote?

Did I even vote? What kind of stupid question is that? It completely confirms your retarded assumptions, because you're asking questions like if I voted or not.

Of course I got out and voted... and I have every single election cycle I've legally been allowed to vote in.

Did I even vote? What kind of stupid question is that? It completely confirms your retarded assumptions, because you're asking questions like if I voted or not.

Of course I got out and voted... and I have every single election cycle I've legally been allowed to vote in.

It was a simple question, not an assumption. So aside from voting (congratulations) what else did you do?

I think you are being berated, No Limit, because you are scoffing at people's attempt to influence change while failing to provide the "real world" alternative.

Also you are berating said people while - you guessed it - sitting on your ass.

Nice try champ, A+ for effort.

It was a simple question, not an assumption. So aside from voting (congratulations) what else did you do?

What kind of answer are you looking for here No Limit? At what point of activism are you going to say, "Okay... well good for you! You're doing the right thing!"

I've been doing almost everything I can realistically for someone in my position with regards of Net Neutrality, because I feel that strongly about it.

And who are you to say that writing correspondence or phone calls to your representatives isn't worthwhile? I mean shit... that's how pretty much everybody gets through to them, with exception to lobbyists.

And yes, it was an assumption. You've been heavily doing it in this thread, accusing us all of being nothing more than internet warriors who can't get out of our computer chairs. You're basically pulling the retarded, "You have no life" line and twisting it to this scenario. I don't know how you can't see that after reading your comments.

As long as what you stand for doesn't actually involve standing up.

/rimshot

That's pretty much every one of your posts in this thread. Don't be denying it.

Did you ever make any phone calls to your senators or congressman? Did I ever say those were ineffective?

Lobbyists aren't these evil mysterious beings with magical powers. Yes, they have a lot of money. But did you know pretty much anyone in this country can go out and meet with their senators or with their congressman if they request it? Or you can donate time or money to groups that share your views that have a larger organization and more influance. Hell, if we gathered up alot of the talent on this site we could probably make a huge dent on an issue such as net neutrality (or pot legalization, or so many other issues). But the fact is you would never get that kind of dedication, I know because I've worked on projects like that before.

And I don't know how in the world you came to the conclusion I was saying "you have no life". I'm saying you are too ****ing lazy to do something constructive. Ok, that might be an assumption but $10 says I'm right when it comes to most of the people here. When I said it wasn't an assumption I was talking about the question I asked you about voting, I never said I wasn't making assumptions. Prove me wrong.

Oh I get it, the problem all along was that we had to call our senators and congressmen, not email them! Thanks for clearing that one up No Limit.

I'm not going to pretend that making a phone call is all that effective. But it sure as hell is a lot more effective than writing an email to the FCC.

Did you ever make any phone calls to your senators or congressman? Did I ever say those were ineffective?

Did I make phone calls? No. But I've made correspondence of the non electronic kind(e-mails are fine too). Which in many ways is more effective than a phone call due to chances of having your opinions heard. It sits around until it can be read.

And please don't go off on the 'lack of efficacy' of letters to congressmen.

Hell, if we gathered up alot of the talent on this site we could probably make a huge dent on an issue such as net neutrality (or pot legalization, or so many other issues).

Ok, that might be an assumption but $10 says I'm right when it comes to most of the people here.

Oh don't kid yourself, there's no talent on this forum. We're all a bunch of lazy bastards. You've established that.

I know because I've worked on projects like that before.

How can you ever get anywhere on a project with such a defeatist attitude?

And I don't know how in the world you came to the conclusion I was saying "you have no life". I'm saying you are too ****ing lazy to do something constructive.

It's all the same... "fat, lazy and have no life". You're talking big to a bunch of forum users, putting us down while elevating yourself.

Anyway... I need to get some sleep. I'm interested in seeing how this thread plays out.

Like I said, anytime any of you want to actually do something useful such as dedicate actual time or dedicate actual money let me know.

No Toaster, not just phone calls, but money too! You can write your support on it and throw it at government officials!

20100708200633capture.png

I'm not saying you guys are fat and have no life, I'm just saying that your asses are so firmly glued to your chairs that it'd be impossible for you to leave your mother's basement.

20100708200833capture.png

I'm just saying...

20100708201020capture.png

I never said anything about anyone being fat. I actually did mean that there is some real talent on this board, not sure why you are trying to be sarcastic. And I never said anything about laziness although laziness is certainly part of it. Everything else you think I said about members of this forum here aside from them not being politically motivated is all in your head, reread my posts if you have to but you are jumping to alot of conclusions and I have no clue what you are basing those conclusions on. And I don't know if you noticed but I never said anything about me being a saint.

So get the sand out of your vagina (is it ok if I yank your chain a bit) and if you want to address what I'm actually saying feel free to.

How much time would you be willing to give up? You're a programmer right? Or atleast learning. Do you have any idea how important such a skill is? All the things you could do with that?

I have $20 and I mean I was just going to buy some weed with it but if you think it'll help I can give it to a congressman

Buy the weed man. If all you have is $20 you really can't do much with that. But there are other areas outside of money you can contribute in if you are willing to put some effort in to it. You're an artist, no?

Draw pictures to save net neutrality.

Yup, because there aren't all kinds of non-profit groups out there that support net neutrality that would greatly benefit from a good artist.

Kids these days.

I never said anything about anyone being fat. I actually did mean that there is some real talent on this board, not sure why you are trying to be sarcastic. And I never said anything about laziness although laziness is certainly part of it. Everything else you think I said about members of this forum here aside from them not being politically motivated is all in your head, reread my posts if you have to but you are jumping to alot of conclusions and I have no clue what you are basing those conclusions on. And I don't know if you noticed but I never said anything about me being a saint.

So get the sand out of your vagina (is it ok if I yank your chain a bit) and if you want to address what I'm actually saying feel free to.

How much time would you be willing to give up? You're a programmer right? Or atleast learning. Do you have any idea how important such a skill is?

You're looking too much into the meaning of the word "fat", and not enough into the connotations of what I'm saying.

And I never said anything about laziness although laziness is certainly part of it. Everything else you think I said about members of this forum here aside from them not being politically motivated is all in your head, reread my posts if you have to but you are jumping to alot of conclusions and I have no clue what you are basing those conclusions on.

Everything else you think I said about members of this forum here aside from them not being politically motivated is all in your head

all in your head

You guys are so cute.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Obama won't fight for net neutrality (I'm still a bit hopeful he will) but I highly doubt your emails to the FCC will have anything to do with it. Now once any of you are ready to get out of the computer chairs and actually do something useful (whether that be by dedicating actual time or spending actual money) let me know...anyone?...yeah, didn't think so. Until then I'll skip on writing emails, I have much more important things to do with my time, such as arguing on the internets.

Like I said, anytime any of you want to actually do something useful such as dedicate actual time or dedicate actual money let me know. You can pretend emails are useful, I like to live in the real world. But since that's the absolute least you could do (I hope you didn't break a sweat in writing that email) I guess believe what you want to believe if it makes you feel better. Arm chair warriors to the rescue!.

Raziaar I'm making retarded assumptions? Really buddy? What have you done politically lately that involved getting out of a computer chair? Did you even vote?

As long as what you stand for doesn't actually involve standing up.

I'm saying you are too ****ing lazy to do something constructive.

Maybe the part about too ****ing lazy was a bit overboard, I mean in the politcal sense. I guess saying most people that sit comfortably in their computer chairs and write emails instead of doing something more useful is more of a politcal motivation issue, not a laziness issue.

But the fact remains writing emails won't get you anywhere and it's the absolute least thing you can do. It doesn't do any real good, but makes you feel like an activist. That was my original point.

Maybe the part about too ****ing lazy was a bit overboard, I mean in the politcal sense. I guess saying most people that sit comfortably in their computer chairs and write emails instead of doing something more useful is more of a politcal motivation issue, not a laziness issue.

But the fact remains writing emails won't get you anywhere and it's the absolute least thing you can do. It doesn't do any real good, but makes you feel like an activist. That was my original point.

Doing nothing because you've given up is definitely better than the least thing you can do.

And I would love to tell you how you can fix that but I'm at the point where I'm about ready to give up. But if you want to write emails to your government officials knock yourself out.

Until then I'll skip on writing emails, I have much more important things to do with my time, such as arguing on the internets.

Keep telling yourself that. So my assumption wasn't wrong, was it?

NO LIMIT YOU STUPID ****

datassyo.jpg

dat rage

Proof plz.

This thread is a testament to the importance of net neutrality. If I didn't have easy access to forums such as these, where would I find such enriching and hilarious debate? :p

Limit, do you realise the position you're taking here? The only thing I've gleaned from your posts is "pretty much anything is more effective than emails." Whether that be phone calls, snail mail, whatever, you seem to hold a higher opinion of people taking more traditional avenues than just "sitting at their computer" and doing essentially the same thing. You know the problem with that? This issue effects people on the internet. You don't think, just maybe, they'd be interested in hearing from "armchair warriors" such as ourselves? You don't think that us exercising (heh) exactly the kind of apathy and laziness we're apparently famous for is just sending them the message that we don't really care about this issue?

But no, unless you actually get off your ass and do some great (undefined) act of (possibly) charity (or something), there's no way anyone will listen to you. Your views will fall on deaf ears and the govinmint will take all your freedoms because you didn't... uhh... do something. With money? I don't know man, No Limit has done this sort of work before, he knows, okay?

By the way, I found a thing: https://secure.freepress.net/site/Donation2?1170.donation=form1&df_id=1170

Wow Google is hard. Good thing I can locate such things from the comfort of my chair.

You kind of missed my point. If you want to donate money I'm all for that. If you want to donate your time thats great too. But sitting there writing emails is a waste of time. You don't actually think some guy at the FCC with his political connections sits at his computer so he can allow emails to shape his policy? Their decisions are calculated. You can't get through to them. The only people you can get through to is people that vote for these idiots, and that takes actual effort (thats what I mean by getting out of your chair). You can certainly put in alot of effort infront of a computer, but its not by writing emails to politicians.

By the way I looked over the site you posted and I don't really see what it is they do aside from give you a form to fill out along with some youtube videos.

According to the emails I get, the electronic letters have helped. For example -
Thanks to your calls and letters last week, we stopped the FCC from abandoning its promise to protect the open Internet and close the digital divide. That fight was intense, but it was nothing compared to what’s ahead.

We have to drown out these industry lies with the voices of millions of Net Neutrality supporters, and to keep the pressure on the FCC to do the right thing.

AT&T and others are spending $1.4 million because they’re worried the public might actually succeed in the fight for free speech online and universal access to the Internet. Let’s show them they have reason to be worried.

Please donate today.

We don’t take a dime from any companies, industry groups or political parties. That’s why we need your support now more than ever.
http://nwindianacomputerrepair.com/nwittsblog/

There's like 2 million of us. I can't see how that won't make a difference.

Back