Anti-aliasing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Boogaleeboo
Bungie also butchers it's original idea to get it to fit on a underselling console and cuts major portions of the game for the PC release.

Lets stick to Valve.

You are an example of the idiotic fanboys. Bungie had to rush Halo because MS made them do it for Xbox launch, and it STILL ended up being one of the best games ever.

People like you will eat your words especially when you play Halo 2.

Let us not spoil an otherwise superb thread. Shut the hell up.

Bungie can never lose my affection after Marathon. I don't even care if they make another Dominion Storm.

Had you just said stop talking about it, and not added "You'll eat your words" and "Shut the hell up" I might have. As it is, I'm making my point.

I was happy with the original idea for Halo. The ORIGINAL idea. The one that was more of a strategy/action mix in a giant world rather than just another pretty FPS in a series of maps. The one that was REVOLUTIONARY rather than just more of the same. And it was going fine, and looking to be a very, very good game indeed. And then Bungie decided that Microsoft and Xbox were good ideas and that original idea of a giant dynamic world got butchered down to another FPS. Halo adds nothing, nothing, that other FPS don't do today. I've played it. It's a *good* game, yes. But Goldeneye was more of a revolution when it came out than Halo was when it did. It is a CRIME what happened to the original Halo idea.

And when you add some new maps and more people between a console and computer port, and a few alien weapons it's nothing special. When you entirely cut things like, say, co-op, it is.

It was butchered and beaten from a great idea. And Halo 2 hasn't shown me anything I won't see in other games. I don't care about pretty, I care about gameplay. Adding a flying ship doesn't make you one of the best games ever.

It makes you a game.

And that's it.

So Gabe, you think you could drop in on other threads every so often to clear other things up? it's sure be a pleasent surprise! :cheese:

Had you just said stop talking about it, and not added "You'll eat your words" and "Shut the hell up" I might have. As it is, I'm making my point.

I was happy with the original idea for Halo. The ORIGINAL idea. The one that was more of a strategy/action mix in a giant world rather than just another pretty FPS in a series of maps. The one that was REVOLUTIONARY rather than just more of the same. And it was going fine, and looking to be a very, very gaood game indeed. And then Bungie decided that Microsoft and Xbox were good ideas and that original idea of a giant dynamic world got butchered down to another FPS. Halo adds nothing, nothing, that other FPS don't do today. I've played it. It's a *good* game, yes. But Goldeneye was more of a revolution when it came out than Halo was when it did. It is a CRIME what happened to the original Halo idea.

And when you add some new maps and more people between a console and computer port, and a few alien weapons it's nothing special. When you entirely cut things like, say, co-op, it is.

It was butchered and beaten from a great idea. And Halo 2 hasn't shown me anything I won't see in other games. I don't care about pretty, I care about gameplay. Adding a flying ship doesn't make you one of the best games ever.

It makes you a game.

And that's it.

Well be considerate to what I said about Bungie being asked to rush for Xbox launch.

The original plans + more = Halo 2. You will see for yourself.

Gabe=Creator of Half-Life 1&2
HL 1&2=The one and only killer of my social life :bonce:

I'm goin watch the e3 video again.....and masturbate.....

.....while watching the video......

Originally posted by Gorgon
Gabe====My hero

JOHN CARMAK====lazy bastard...:cheese:
If it wasn't for Carmack, there wouldn't be a Half-Life...show some respect

Originally posted by Tredoslop

Not neccesarily. However yeah, show some respect.

Lifhz

you r pain in the ass:flame:

I will kik ur ass in HL2 multi........HeHe:cheese:

Originally posted by Tredoslop

If he hadnt done it somone else would have.

Noone is unique in this world. If you dont think of something, somone else will probably just come along afterwoods and do it.

*edit - Also halo is crummy. The graphics were sub par, the characters were 1 dimentional and the whole game took on the feel of a regular boring shooter of alien here bang dead alien there bang dead run alien bang hes dead. The maps were confused and uninteresting.

Originally posted by Gabe Newell
This has always been a problem. This is a problem with Quake 1, Quake 2, Quake 3, Daikatana, Sin, Elite Force, Half-Life, Counter-Strike on the X-Box, or any game that uses packed lightmaps with multi-sample anti-aliasing.

Which begs the question, how come we've never seen it before? Or more to the point, why is it such an insurmountable problem with Half-Life 2 when folks have been using AA for years on those other games and haven't noticed any artifacting? Not criticizing, just questioning as I'm one of the biggest Valve fanboys around.

Oh, and if you're the real Gabe Newall, prove it by sending me an autographed collector's edition of the game! :cheese:

Anyway, keep up the excellent work and tell the boys and girls at Valve that they rock!

Originally posted by Lifthz

Well I dunno, we haven't seen any game that actually uses much of DX9 man. Heheh. We'll see.

But we do have demos, and when these demos are not either optimized specifically for nvidia, or have rearranged/precision dropped/better code inside the nvidia drivers, the speed suffers a LOT

3) How will this look?

We'll release one of the demo movies with the anti-aliasing artifacts in and one with the anti-aliasing changes.

This is just an observation but if they are able to release a demo movie "with the anti-aliasing changes", wouldn't that mean they already have a driver set from one of the vendors which has the issue resolved?

Mario64

Originally posted by Gorgon
Lifhz

you r pain in the ass:flame:

I will kik ur ass in HL2 multi........HeHe:cheese:

Those who have words also have something in their head...

my bullet. :p

All love to Gabe, and sorry to do this, but here's a story about Halo the first. Even has some video. And now I am really, really done with it.

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/425/425116p1.html?fromint=1

Halo started out LOOOOOOONG ago as an RTS game and then it was translated in the FPS. This was all still while it was MAC, yes MAC, not PC. SO I don't know what you're talking about. Xbox didn't translate the game into an FPS. However they did strip out a lot of elements that they originally planned for the game for Halo 1. They will put everything into Halo 2 and more.

Originally posted by urseus

Noone is unique in this world. If you dont think of something, somone else will probably just come along afterwoods and do it.

*edit - Also halo is crummy. The graphics were sub par, the characters were 1 dimentional and the whole game took on the feel of a regular boring shooter of alien here bang dead alien there bang dead run alien bang hes dead. The maps were confused and uninteresting.

Yeah, that's why it won GOTY, sold 3 million so far (less than 2 years), and has the best A.I. ever in an FPS, and had the best graphics for the time it came out and the graphics are STILL better than most every PC game today save maybe Unreal 2. Yeah, sure. Honestly most people like you have NEVER played the game.

ANd yeah.... Halo is a run and gunner. :dozey: Only morons who never played the game would say that. Oh wait, or maybe you played the game on Easy or something.

Originally posted by mannyfresh027
]\

carmack made the engine :D

Bungie was developing their first FPS at the same time Camrack was making Wolfenstein. Wolfenstein was just the first one to come out. And i'm sure there were a few others also. So yeah, without Camrack we probably would've still had FPS games anyway.

3) How will this look?

We'll release one of the demo movies with the anti-aliasing artifacts in and one with the anti-aliasing changes.

Better not be one of the good ones :dork:

Originally posted by Mountain Man
Can we please stop talking about Halo?
Nope :) You know why? Because Halo fanboys are the worst bunch.. okay the worst are hardcore Fallout fanboys, but Halo fans are right next to them.

I agree. People worship Carmack as if he was the only one who could make a 3d engine. But even Doom had engines out that were at least as good if not better. The main reason Doom was such an overwhelming hit was that it had a shareware distribution: a huge chunk of the game was free, and it hooked people.

Gary McTaggart brought this up in an email because he is being pretty hardcore about graphics quality right now.
the fact that valve has the leasure time to perfect the graphics and not be totally inundated with working out bugs and glitchs and worried about the release is great news!

All fanboyts are the worst, because they're focused on being biased. I am not.

I wouldn't talk so much about Halo if it was not being bad-talked by people who've likely never played it.

Originally posted by Lifthz
All fanboyts are the worst, because they're focused on being biased. I am not.

I wouldn't talk so much about Halo if it was not being bad-talked by people who've likely never played it.

Well that’s true. You know as well as I do, we can play\buy only one game, everything else sucks. J I played Halo, was fun game, maybe the savor of X-box, but I don’t think it would do that great on PC.

Also, never bring up selling numbers in argument, they mean nothing :) There were so many games that went unnoticed by general public, sad, but true.

It was intended to be for the Mac as all Bungie products were, and then they intended to realise it for the PC. It was PLAYABLE as a RTS. And then came Microsoft.

Whoops.

3) How will this look?

WHOA NOW GABE, how about we get those other movies released before we start these new movies.

REMEBER take things one step at a time!

Wow, Gabe Himself, although I'm not surprised I watched the whole 500mb interview from gamespot and gabe and valve are dedicated to the fans which is the best way to sucess. :cheese: I can Imagine Gabe Newell PM box is full poor guy. :(

Thanks Gabe

::bows down to thy great Gabe::
:: oh holy one , Thy great one who shall make HL2::
:cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back