Any good Brit bands?

Reaction score
I've come to the realization that teh Brits have way better tastes in music than us Americans. . .

anyone got some reccomendations from the good 'ol UK?

What kind of recommendations?

Are we talking modern/old..any specific genre?

You could try Radiohead.
If that's not your kinda thing, I would suggest Radiohead.
Alternatively, check out Radiohead.
Oh, Radiohead are a pretty good band too.
Definitely check out Radiohead while you're at it.

I don't enjoy radiohead.

...:D

But it's true.

Seeing as you haven't specified a genre or era, I'll just throw a few at you to check out;

Led Zeppelin
Black Sabbath
The Beatles
Muse
Cream
The Yardbirds
Genesis
Steve Hackett (Solo artist I know, but his classical flamenco pieces are outstanding)
Jamiroquai
Kasabian
Lostprophets
Mclusky
Future of the Left
Mogwai
Pink Floyd
Porcupine Tree
Queen
Skindred
Sikth

I'm just going to throw together a Brit-artist only list of artists their and albums that I really enjoy;

Mogwai - Mr. Beast (post-rock; calm, sometimes chaotic and ''loud'', instrumental, relaxing, minamilist)
Squarepusher - Feed me Weird Things (electronica, drum n' bass with a twist... or something)
Pink Floyd - Animals (forget what people say about DSOTM, this is the where Floyd were at their strongest I'd say. Can't really describe it)
jesu - self-titled and the Silver EP (downbeat 'shoegaze' post-rock/metal stuff, very gloomy yet sometimes uplifting with hints of electronica stuck in the blend)
Send More Paramedics - The Awakening (crazy hardcore punk/crossover thrash all based around the zombie apocalypse. A must for any hardcore fan)

Some close favourites of mine there, I suggest you try them out.

You could try Radiohead.
If that's not your kinda thing, I would suggest Radiohead.
Alternatively, check out Radiohead.
Oh, Radiohead are a pretty good band too.
Definitely check out Radiohead while you're at it.

Mogwai - Mr. Beast (post-rock; calm, sometimes chaotic and ''loud'', instrumental, relaxing, minamilist)
Squarepusher - Feed me Weird Things (electronica, drum n' bass with a twist... or something)
Pink Floyd - Animals (forget what people say about DSOTM, this is the where Floyd were at their strongest I'd say. Can't really describe it)
jesu - self-titled and the Silver EP (downbeat 'shoegaze' post-rock/metal stuff, very gloomy yet sometimes uplifting with hints of electronica stuck in the blend)
Send More Paramedics - The Awakening (crazy hardcore punk/crossover thrash all based around the zombie apocalypse. A must for any hardcore fan)

Some close favourites of mine there, I suggest you try them out.

These.

It would help if you could specify a genre. My favourite British bands (other than the ones I quoted) still around today would be Capdown, The King Blues, Suicide Bid and Sonic Boom Six. The Clash and Amebix were good too.

Klaxons - Myths Of The Near Future & Xan Valleys - Rave/pop/indie/rock :)
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless - Shoegaze wall-of-sound stuff, ignore the name!!
Talking Heads - grab anything you can by them
David Bowie - as above ;)
The Smiths - Start from The Queen Is Dead and then get everything else.

If you want more, just ask :E

I'm currently in an oldskool Oasis phase. Had all the classics blasting out of my car on the drive to work today... wonderwall, she's electric, don't look back in anger, cast no shadow, champagne supernova, roll with it, step out, some might say, etc. etc.

Absolutely timeless!

Blur - Brilliant band, most people listen to Song 2 and never bother with the rest of their songs

Bowie - You don't need a reason to listen to Bowie, he's a genius

Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway is like Dark Side of the Moon but twice as long and twice as awesome, don't listen to any of the Phil Collins era Genesis, stick with Peter Gabriel

King Crimson - Almost any of their early albums are brilliant

Traffic - Mr. Fantasy and Traffic two of the greatest albums to come out of the 60's

There's more, but I cbb at this time

Im gonna throw in Lostprophets

Yes theyre Welsh (cringes) but ***k it, theyre amazing.

I've come to the realization that teh Brits have way better tastes in music than us Americans. . .

anyone got some reccomendations from the good 'ol UK?

Why limit yourself to the UK? There's nearly an unlimited number of good bands all throughout Europe (and the world, for that matter).

Klaxons - Myths Of The Near Future & Xan Valleys - Rave/pop/indie/rock :)
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless - Shoegaze wall-of-sound stuff, ignore the name!!
Talking Heads - grab anything you can by them
David Bowie - as above ;)
The Smiths - Start from The Queen Is Dead and then get everything else.

If you want more, just ask :E

MBV = OWN!!!!!

tbh
:)

I've been meaning to get some of these for quite a while now, I just... well, I just haven't cuz I'm a bell.

Speaking of Radiohead, I've got Hail to the Thief and Amnesiac in my school bag right now, actually. Got them off a mate on Friday - gonna give them a listen tonight if I can juggle all the other albums I've been glued to this weekend. I love The Bends and Kid A, not so much OK Computer, so tonight should be fun.

EDIT: lol, thought it was called Anesthetic. Oy vey.

thx for all the reccomendations, i like Lostprophets from what i've heard so far. . .and they don't have to be from the Uk perse'

and for the first guy to reply, i like Brit stuff lik Coldplay and Muse and such. Stuff that's real unique.

they aint british ;)

and yeah, Brit music owns all others xD

Definately check out Muse, Radiohead, Iron Maiden and Cream though :D
I'm sorry I forgot the Welsh don't classify as British :|

Also I was sketchy of Kasabian's origin, but they all originate from areas of Blaby, Countesthorpe, Leicester and England.

I'm right ;)

'The Good, the Bad & the Queen' is the best Brit-pop CD I bought this year. It's Damon Albarn from Blur with a couple of session musicians chronicling England in the 80s. Great concept album.

The Jam
The stone roses
Killing Joke
The Kinks

I'm sorry I forgot the Welsh don't classify as British :|

Also I was sketchy of Kasabian's origin, but they all originate from areas of Blaby, Countesthorpe, Leicester and England.

I'm right ;)

lol sorry, mis-read kasabian for someone else, yah they are british, but i could have swore lostprophets were american.

i love brit rock but havent heard quite a few of these bands, can someone please post the band names and at least one major single of theirs..

i love brit rock but havent heard quite a few of these bands, can someone please post the band names and at least one major single of theirs..

My Brit pop top 3:

Oasis - Whatever
The Verve - Lucky Man
Travis - Sing

Oasis - Definately Maybe, Whats The Story, Be Here Now, Don`t Believe The Truth
http://www.myspace.com/oasis

Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say....., Favourite Worst Nightmare
http://www.myspace.com/arcticmonkeys

The Maccabees - Colour It In (Available to download now, not yet available in stores)
http://www.myspace.com/themaccabees

Manic Street Preachers - Pretty much anything other than their last two albums, although their forthcoming one is amazing
http://www.myspace.com/manics

The Pigeon Detectives - Again, no official releases yet, but an amzing band.
http://www.myspace.com/thepigeondetectives

Maximo Park - A Certain Trigger, Our Earthly Pleasures (the myspace link contains the full album, and Our Velocity is my tune of the year so far)
http://www.myspace.com/maximopark

Those are albums listed, not singles.

Back