ANY news what so ever on Episode 3 / Half Life 3

dogboy73

Tank
Reaction score
I only pop up on here about once every 6-12 months these days just on the off chance there might be some news of ANY kind about Episode 3 / Half Life 3. I'm pretty out of touch. Have I missed anything regarding Episode 3 / Half Life 3?! I suspected some time ago (quite a good few years ago now I guess) that Episode 3 seemed unlikely. At the time I was cast down in flames (the threads are probably still on here somewhere). But it seems increasingly likely the Sun will expire before Episode 3 gets so much as announcement ..... or have I missed something from Valve to say that it's NOT going to happen & things have moved on a bit, namely to Half Life 3 ..... or not!!

Cheers ;)

They've said a couple years ago that they have abandoned the episodic model, and thus there will assuredly be no Episode 3. There has been no word on HL3 in the last 6-12 months though, unless you consider off-references to Ricochet 2 news on HL3.

No episode 3, Half-life 3. As far as we know, it's not in active development but they will return to it. Source 2 & Rubikon in development as the main project right now, probably a new title to ship on that in the next 12-18 months? Who knows!

HL3 info? The jira database leak showing the HL3 mailing group within Valve (so it exists, or at least existed at some point). And the Andrea Wicklund concept art. Otherwise, nothing more to say unless you want to talk Steam, TF2, CSGO and Dota 2.

No episode 3, Half-life 3. As far as we know, it's not in active development but they will return to it.

Correction: Episode Three is scrapped, Half-Life 3 is in active development.

Correction: Episode Three is scrapped, Half-Life 3 is in active development.

How do we know it's in active development? I can't remember Valve saying anything about it any more.

How do we know it's in active development? I can't remember Valve saying anything about it any more.

They haven't "officially" said anything about Source 2 being in development, but we know it is because of Gabe's comments and a few pseudo-secret presentations about it.

They've said a couple years ago that they have abandoned the episodic model, and thus there will assuredly be no Episode 3.

Interesting. I definitely missed this news. The question for a while was EP3 or HL3. Seems this was settled some time ago. It always seemed pretty obvious to me that Episodic content had not met it's targets. I remember Gabe saying that the idea was to deliver single player HL content more often. But 'more often' ended up being an awfully long time! Sin: Episodes also never got further than the first Episode. And what ever happened to the 'They Live: Dark Souls' mod? Apparently that was going well but it was never released. So the main concern here is what happens to the episodic story line? Presumably HL3 will deal with this? Surely Valve won't just leave it in limbo? It will be interesting to see where Valve eventually go with this.

They where talking an awful amount about episode 3 in the development commentary of episode 1 and 2, but im going to presume they reached a dead end they didn't know what to do with. now it would be cool to know if those assets would ever reach the light of day

They were pretty committed to the episodic model at the time, but that was definitely abandoned. The commitment went so deep that Episode 4 was also in production with Arkane Studios: http://www.valvetime.net/threads/new-images-of-half-life-2-episode-4-return-to-ravenholm.243033/ (also scrapped obviously).

Other ValveTime Links:

Episode 3 / Half-life 3 Concept art - http://www.valvetime.net/threads/exclusive-half-life-2-episode-3-concept-art.206815/
Jira Valve Database includes HL3 & L4D3 - http://www.valvetime.net/threads/up...h-more-found-on-valve-project-tracker.243580/

They were pretty committed to the episodic model at the time, but that was definitely abandoned. The commitment went so deep that Episode 4 was also in production with Arkane Studios: http://www.valvetime.net/threads/new-images-of-half-life-2-episode-4-return-to-ravenholm.243033/ (also scrapped obviously).

Dear God...

What if they ended up having Arkane do a Half-Life game at some point in the future that has weird magical powers like Blink in Dishonored? What if...
Is G-Man the Outsider? DUN DUN DUN
jk wth am I talking about

Rubikon...? Elaborate.

EDIT: So apparently it's Valve's in-house physics engine. Interesting.

Last edited:
Back