Any non-walled-garden tablet computers available?

ian1

Reaction score
It seems most tablet-computers out today have the app system, thanks to Apple's terrible precedent. Are there any that have an interface like your standard laptop or desktop computer, where you don't have to go to some centralized app store to get programs? Even the app stores in which things don't need to be pre-approved feel limited. Do any exist that work like a regular computer, where you can install any program and download from any website?

I keep seeing stories that say tablet computers are replacing netbooks (please tell me these claims are groundless) and I can't help but get worried. I don't want netbooks (or perhaps even more than just that) to start getting pushed off the market by consumers wooed by the user-friendly interface, while disregarding their own range of options with the device.

You could get something like this. It's a standard netbook with a touch screen that founds down into a tablet.

It seems most tablet-computers out today have the app system, thanks to Apple's terrible precedent.

it's not apple's fault the competitors app system sucks

you seem to be not getting the whole point of having a tablet. it's not a laptop or desktop; it's the device you pick up while watching tv to check a factoid because you're too lazy to walk 10 feet to the desktop in the office. it's a media consumption tool not a replacement for laptops or even netbooks

it's not apple's fault the competitors app system sucks

you seem to be not getting the whole point of having a tablet. it's not a laptop or desktop; it's the device you pick up while watching tv to check a factoid because you're too lazy to walk 10 feet to the desktop in the office. it's a media consumption tool not a replacement for laptops or even netbooks

I hope you're right, but I keep seeing headlines like:

V3.co.uk said:
Apple iPad represent genuine threat to laptops and netbooks

ComputerWeekly.com said:
PC sales boosted by iPad, but netbooks decline

wireless goodness said:
Apple killed Flip Video like it killed netbooks. Are digital cameras next?

Would it be safe to dismiss this stuff as media stupidity?

I think I'd agree with apple killing Flip video, but not just Apple. The whole smartphone thing killed them. My phone records in beautiful 720p no problem. For the most part, I'd say it is stupidity, except for the last one. I own a digital camera, but I never use it because my phone takes just as good of pictures, and I have it with me all the time anyway.

The problem is by digital cameras they mean these:
canon-powershot-a470.jpg

but it ranges to this:
25442_D3X_front.png

So while smartphones (and maybe tablets..maybe) have taken a part of the low-end camera market, they'll never be able to compete the mid or high end range.

I hope you're right, but I keep seeing headlines like:

"Apple iPad represent genuine threat to laptops and netbooks"

Would it be safe to dismiss this stuff as media stupidity?

the underlying message is correct; people are choosing to buy ipads instead of netbooks/laptops because of ease of use. most people still have desktops so when you just want to check email you reach for what is simplest; in this case it's an ipad because it boots in seconds, is easy to use and is the new kid on the block. the netbook/laptop market is overly saturated with product. prices are rapidly dropping because there's now a solution for casual computing (tablets). there isnt much room for an intermediary product like netbooks. I havent used mine since getting an ipad :)

Besides that, anyone who needs more than marginal computing power will turn to something besides the iPad because even a 200-dollar netbook crushes the iPad in raw processing power.

I'd actually be really curious to see how the A5 stacks up against an Atom processor.

Back