Anyone else use Bittorrent?..

Shockwave

Reaction score
If you use kazaa..ect..ect programs like that and you dont know about bittorrent you should try it out, speeds are 10x better than all the other progs and files are NEVER fakes

Bittorrent is okay I guess, I've using it for a few months already. Speeds of course depend on how many peeps share and sometimes peeps just quit after they're done with their downloads. If you're trying to get a new release like a game or movie... expect to wait for a while, your downloads will be slow, since there'll probably be one source/seed and over 100 people downloading. Overall, it's a good way to get to stuff...

IMO, dcc is still #1

BT rules = good speed

Edonkey = sucks, slow speed, for me anyway

Kazaa = ok I guess :D

BT = never tried it.

eMule = starts off slow, but accelerates over time. Files never
corrupt. Perfect for software.

Kazaa = Usually much faster, but a lot of corrupt and infected files. Only good for movies and images.

DCC = fast and good quality, if you find a hub that fits your needs. Many hub operators are control freaks and make up ridiculous rules on how you must organize your files. I use it mostly for MP3's.

Kazaa is good for me, I only get fake/corrupt files maybe 1/10 times. I used bit torrent to get the 500mb gamespy video of hl2, and it worked very well. But where can I get more files for bit?

man, i never get fakes on kazaa, use the verfified downloads feature. I use BT, but it is often much slower than kazaa for me.

I grabbed a few files on bit torrent. Didn't particularly care for the software. Kazaa is good for music but there are a lot of people who put out fakes. I don't use it for software or videos. LArge downloads I do exclusively from newsgroups...more reliable, better content.

I'm on 56k, so dont get a great deal of stuff downloaded, but I do my fair share :D

I only use kazaa when I want 1 or 2 songe, or a vid file that I cant find anywhere else.

For the majority of vids, full albums etc.. I use irc

I heard news groups are really good, can you give me a run through what one is etc, cause I ent got a clue!! lol

newsgroups are some sort of outlook thing..

I use it occasionally. Like when i miss a programme on TV i will download stuff using that.

Originally posted by h00dlum
LOL p2p sucks...FTP sites rules!!

Yup.. but I have a trouble finding good FTP servers. and mostly you have to do stuff to get the login details

yeah BT is great.
next time a hl2 movie comes, someone should make it available through BT. That way everybody gets it fast.

Originally posted by EVIL
newsgroups are some sort of outlook thing..

Geezus Christmas! Bite your tongue.

Newsgroups have been around since the beginning of the Internet and Outlook is just about the WORST reader especially if you do any binary groups.

NNTP (newsgroup protocol) was designed to replicate threaded text discussions. Basically every ISP tracks tens of thousands of discussion groups on very specific topics in multiple languages. Every message gets synched out all over the world. Your ISP maintains a certain # of days of the most recent messages (typically 2-4). Unlike a web or ftpserver, your local ISP maintains a server (nearby) so your bandwidth is higher since you don't leave your ISP's network. The server is dedicated only to your ISP's customer so the load is manageable.

You use a Newsreader (www.forteinc.com) to pull down just the headers(title/author) and if you want to read them, mark and grab them to your hard drive. That was the original concept.

Then people begin using binhex,mime (same way email sends attachments) to turn binary files into giant text-only messages. They break them up and post hundreds of 5000-10000 line messages in sequence. You grab them and recombine them into the original files.

It takes some learning but that filters out a lot of garbage cause the average person can't figure out how to even get to them. This is also why they don't get slammed legally. WHile Morpheus and Kazza and napster get sued out of business I've been downloading any music I want for 8 years now. And much better quality than hunting amongst the junk on other services.

If you are willing to pay, sign up with http://www.easynews.com/ for a web-based version just for grabbing downloads. The only problem is u will need to use a newsreader to read the discussions which is important. People will explain about what they post...sometimes people warn about trojans they find, etc.

The alt.binaries tree of groups is Large and some ISP's won't carry them because a single group has been know to post 4-6 GB per day of materials. Here is a very small sample from my easynews subscription list. THe (numbers) are how many downloadable files are available from the last 30 days.

(17006) alt.binaries.cd.image
(398) alt.binaries.cd.image.0-day
(3749) alt.binaries.cd.image.clonecd
(16951) alt.binaries.cd.image.games
(1596) alt.binaries.cd.image.highspeed
(1503) alt.binaries.cd.image.linux
(3643) alt.binaries.cd.image.reposts
(13947) alt.binaries.movies
(15145) alt.binaries.movies.divx
(666) alt.binaries.movies.repost
(758) alt.binaries.multimedia.firefly
(21808) alt.binaries.multimedia.scifi