Anyone got Level 18 Advanced without taking down turrets?

SPARTACVS

Reaction score
I'm just wondering because I have no idea how good I am compared to everyone else in the world, and every video I've seen since I played it has shown the player find a way to take out all the turrets before completing the middle third of the level. If anyone wants to see a video of my 1337 with-turrets way of completing it I can record one, but also if I'm just a flaming idiot and millions of people do it the same way as me, just say so too.

As far as i could make out taking down the turrets is actually not the intended method to complete 18 advanced.

i did it without taking out the turrets, and have no idea how u take out the turrets in the cages except maybe by making them shoot themselves for ages?

You could sort of 'take out' the turrets by putting boxes in front of them so they can't see you, other than that i can't think of a way.

How the hell do you kill em? I did it by blocking their vision with blocks.

post a vid ya suspense creating jerk :)

Chamber 16 is the one with the turrets in cages. He was asking about 18, which is the one where you have to fling yourself up the pedestals.

Yeah it's the one with the huge chasm of water and there are uncaged turrets even on advanced on platforms of different height above the water and you need to get across and back with a single cube in order to complete the earlier puzzle.

I beat 18 Adv. without even using the moving platform. ^_^
Not sure if thats how your supposed to do it either... o_O

I definitely see how it's possible, but I've already beaten it, so I don't feel like going through the 20 tries again. ;)

Basically, my solution would be to have two portals on the bottom platform, run over to the moving platform and make a jump for it, launching myself up to the bottom platform. Then I'd push the button, teleport up to the main platform, create an exit portal on the inclined ramp, and book it across the moving platform again to launch myself.

Is that your solution?

Aren't the turrets heavy enough to push the buttons anyway?

Not when I tried it. Maybe if you use multiple turrets.

I think two turrets are heavy enough.

All I know for sure right now is that one box will hold it down (obviously), and 4 cameras aren't heavy enough (those things were hard to stack on that button! ;) ).

Aren't the turrets heavy enough to push the buttons anyway?

Nope. About the only way to beat it without getting the box is this:
-Grab a turret, bring it back.
-Lean the turret against the door.
-Stand on the button. The turret will fall into the doorway.
-Get off the button. The door will stick on the turret.
-Jump over the turret.

It takes some trial-and-error in order to make sure the turret keeps the door open wide enough for you to get through.

I'm just wondering because I have no idea how good I am compared to everyone else in the world, and every video I've seen since I played it has shown the player find a way to take out all the turrets before completing the middle third of the level. If anyone wants to see a video of my 1337 with-turrets way of completing it I can record one, but also if I'm just a flaming idiot and millions of people do it the same way as me, just say so too.

Yes, I did 18 advanced without messing with the turrets.

I put a portal high up on the wall facing the small section of floor at water-level, then one on the wall next to me. I jumped through the portal, which sent me toward that floor. While falling, I shot two portals, one right underneath me and one right next to it, which sent me flying upward to the cube. Hopped down with the cube, pushed the button, popped a portal across and fell back through the floor and made my way out.

I beat 18 Adv. without even using the moving platform. ^_^
Not sure if thats how your supposed to do it either... o_O
Well it's a given I think that you didn't use the platform if you did it without killing the turrets... you'd get screwed from moving too slowly if you used the platform to go anywhere.

The intended solution imo is to hit the first button and place your portal on that angled platform, run back jump down and place a portal and fly over to the cube. Then simply grab the cube and drop down while moving backwards you'll easily land on the lower level. New portal up top and one down bottom. Hit button, go through, place box on button.

Hax solution: Grab a computer from the area outside the test chamber and lean it on the door. Hop over to the button and open the door. The computer case will fall over and apon getting off the button you jam the door. Go back and you can just see a wall you can place a portal on.

I know I beat the level, but I can't remember it.

Same. Those mentioning that they beat it without using the moving platform is nothing special though, because you're DEAD if you use the moving platform with the turrets still active.

As far as I saw there's no way to take down the turrets either, so I believe it's not intended to use the platform. But blocking the doorway is very clever, kudos to those who thought of that :D

Back