anyone still really play?

Oblivion is the best. I've played it quite a bit. If I had to guess I'd say I've played about 50 - 80 hours? Can't really remember. I still love this game to death, although it's not all new and surprising anymore, it's still a blast to play.

I have a horrible game PC with a PCI graphics card however, so I'm taking a break from Oblivion, and having a lot of fun working on my Doom 3 mod. In two days, I added 425 awesome skin variations (I'm getting pretty good at the complicated Paint Shop Pro 9)for some of the monsters in Doom 3. You might never see the same exact monster skin twice while playing through the game when I'm through.

One day I'll have a PC that can run Oblivion with ease, and I'll be playing it with all the graphics. I'll probably mod Oblivion like I am doing for Doom3. I'd like to make a total conversion multi-level dungeon only game. Like 12 levels connected by staircase or ladders or something, with puzzles and traps - with ideas I've been working on for 10 years. I think this would be the perfect engine to make this game for. Previously, I would have had to make my game from scratch, which I've already had some success with, although my graphics engine was 1987-ish. =P This 2006 Oblivion game engine would be the ultimate for my game.

Any time VirusType2 can give publicity for his mod, he gives 100% :D

We will all download your mod. ok?

Any time VirusType2 can give publicity for his mod, he gives 100%

Haha, so true :D

Anyway, I am excited about playing Doomsday/Black Moon/whatever it's called now, so don't worry :p

As am I.

And I don't even like Doom3.

Actually, you guys on this website and my family are the only ones who know I'm even working on it. So although it's not exactly top-secret, I want it to come "From out of nowhere", "The ultimate mod from ****ing hell". :devil: Hey that sounds pretty good. .. :LOL: That could be the name of it. :E

One reason I talk about it is because I spend all of my free-time working on it and I only stop in here when I'm taking a break. Also, because you guys are my friends and I just have to tell somebody.

The actual reason I mentioned it this time, is because the name of the thread is "anyone still really play?" and I haven't been able to play Oblivion because I was trying to finish my mod for 06-06-06. Also there is the fact that I can't wait to mod Oblivion. :)

And you know we'll be with you all the way, VirusType2.

Damn. I need to stop lying :p

VirusType2 said:
Actually, you guys on this website and my family are the only ones who know I'm even working on it. So although it's not exactly top-secret, I want it to come "From out of nowhere", "The ultimate mod from ****ing hell". :devil: Hey that sounds pretty good. .. :LOL: That could be the name of it. :E

One reason I talk about it is because I spend all of my free-time working on it and I only stop in here when I'm taking a break. Also, because you guys are my friends and I just have to tell somebody.

The actual reason I mentioned it this time, is because the name of the thread is "anyone still really play?" and I haven't been able to play Oblivion because I was trying to finish my mod for 06-06-06. Also there is the fact that I can't wait to mod Oblivion. :)
We love you.

Edit: 1987th post. Good year, am I right?

It's funny.

Practically everyone you talk to says the same thing: "Oh I played it like crazy for a few weeks, then I got bored all of a sudden."

It happened to me and a couple of my real life buds too. Morrowind was a much better game imo, I could play that for hours and hours... weeks and weeks. Oblivion? Ehhh. Beat the main quest and somehow my character isn't even uber. Leveled lists suck. It's ok but they screwed up big time when they decided to start changing their own winning formula. I'm a huge Elder Scrolls fan but Oblivion is just garbage. There's a total of what, 4? voices. Even if they aren't saying the exact same thing, the 1000+ lines of dialogue sound the same because they didn't use more voice actors! You'd think if they were going to spread thousands of lines of dialogue amongst a thousand NPCS, they'd have something like 20 actors. Anyway I won't go into it - you all know the rest of the reasons Oblivion blows.

I've got a lvl 15 Nord and I'm runnig around closing the Oblivion gates that are near the different cities. I think the content of the game changes as your character levels up, since there's been a BIG difference since the first gate I closed and the one I closed after snatching the sigil stone with like 2 hp left :O

NJspeed said:
It's funny.

Practically everyone you talk to says the same thing: "Oh I played it like crazy for a few weeks, then I got bored all of a sudden."

It happened to me and a couple of my real life buds too. Morrowind was a much better game imo, I could play that for hours and hours... weeks and weeks. Oblivion? Ehhh. Beat the main quest and somehow my character isn't even uber. Leveled lists suck. It's ok but they screwed up big time when they decided to start changing their own winning formula. I'm a huge Elder Scrolls fan but Oblivion is just garbage. There's a total of what, 4? voices. Even if they aren't saying the exact same thing, the 1000+ lines of dialogue sound the same because they didn't use more voice actors! You'd think if they were going to spread thousands of lines of dialogue amongst a thousand NPCS, they'd have something like 20 actors. Anyway I won't go into it - you all know the rest of the reasons Oblivion blows.

So Morrowind is a better game than Oblivion because Oblivion 'only used 4 voice actors' while Morrowind didn't use any voices at all? Makes sense!

I hated Morrowind, especially the combat was complete shit, it has improved a lot in Oblivion.

I am still playing it. Though I had to start from the begining again (lost my save games) this time I am playing straight through the main quest before joining any guilds or anything side quests.

I haven't got bored yet but I want to make sure I finish the main quest before I do. :D

B_MAN said:
when the game first came out, i played for weeks straight
and then, all of a sudden, i stopped altogether
and havent touched it since

This seems to be a phenomenon with oblivion, no slow gradual boredom - just BAM - no more play. I lived the damn thing for four weeks solid, and then just... stopped. Loved it right up to the day before I thought 'I can't be arsed', too.
Still a great game, but no replay value as such, especially now knowing how limited the AI is and how small the game world seems. Those were the main sellers for me but they never really happened as I was led to believe.

real shame.

Still, there's always Prey just around the corner :E

Put Morrowind on Oblivion's engine, and we're all set imo.

PvtRyan said:
So Morrowind is a better game than Oblivion because Oblivion 'only used 4 voice actors' while Morrowind didn't use any voices at all? Makes sense!

I hated Morrowind, especially the combat was complete shit, it has improved a lot in Oblivion.

The problem is that Elder Scrolls are supposed to be an RPG, not an action adventure where combat is the main focus. Morrowind was about the story and the journey, exploring interesting, different, locations and checking out the different cities....with their different architecture and different lore. Oblivion on the other hand, IS all about combat, as evidenced by your enemies leveling up with you - to provide a constant challenge - in MW, it was shit, like you said, because your character actually had the ability to get powerful and beat the crap out of everyone, yet it was still fun.. because why? Again.. the focus wasn't combat.

And yeah, Morrowind was better with no voices because you weren't constantly reminded that it's just a video game. Hearing the same person you just heard 20 times previously dissolves any immersion you might be able to achieve in Oblivion.

Its a shame I can go back to Morrowind right now, head off in a random direction and have some great adventures. With Oblvion I'm already bored by the time I reach the sewers exit.

Simply put, Morrowind had the 'it' factor, it wasn't dramatic (like plastic looking graphics or voice acting) but a low resonating quality begging to be explored.

xlucidx said:
I just uninstalled it after not being able to level up for the entire duration of playing the game. :|

You do realise to level up, you have to sleep in a bed?

Simply put, Morrowind had the 'it' factor ... a low resonating quality begging to be explored.
I've been looking for a way to say what you just said for so long.

CR0M said:
This seems to be a phenomenon with oblivion, no slow gradual boredom - just BAM - no more play. I lived the damn thing for four weeks solid, and then just... stopped. Loved it right up to the day before I thought 'I can't be arsed', too.
Still a great game, but no replay value as such, especially now knowing how limited the AI is and how small the game world seems. Those were the main sellers for me but they never really happened as I was led to believe.

real shame.

Still, there's always Prey just around the corner :E
Well, you may have played it to death for 100 hours and have looked for other things to keep your interest, but don't forget that you can re-visit any of the old tombs, caverns, and dungeons that you have already conquered, and there will be more powerful enemies there this time (depending on your level) There are still enemies that I haven't seen yet and I'm getting up there in levels.

So not only can you play forever, and even reach level 200, unlike most RPG's were sadly, it really does have to come to an end, you can just pick it up and wander around and kill things. Since the combat is so fun, how can you get bored of it? You can even get past the stat caps with rare items and armor, which is a whole strategy by itself.

Also, don't forget that this game could get 100's of good mods within the next several years. New monsters, new flame-brand swords, armor, horses with flames shooting out of their eyes and hooves (like the Warlock horses in WoW), cool things like that, not to mention the great mods that are already available like the sunset sky mods and stuff.

Many of the dungeons are procedurally created - I thought, meaning they will be different next time you go, although I could be wrong about that.

Whats the deal with the forest anyway? So is it created differently every time you create a new character, or is it different every time you travel back through the forest?

I know I can't wait to play this game on a proper game rig, it will be my most played game again.

I thought it was a "me" thing, because I just stopped playing Oblivion, drifted back into GTA:SA, the drifted into Vampire:The Masquerade again. But, yeah, I have no real ambitions to playing Oblivion again right now. Something... slightly... wrong about it.

Oblivion just didn't hold my interest. Morrowind, I played that to death and then continued playing in the afterlife. Oblivion, I played, got bored, played, then got bored, and then just had no interest in playing. It was a great game, but it just didn't hold my interest at all. There's something missing from it, I can still play NWM, Morrowind, or WoW to death, but oblivion . . . there's just no reason for me to want to play.

EDIT: OBlivion is just too stale, as impressive as the graphics are, the caves all look the same, the oblivion planes all look the same and the constant red gets extremely annoying, there are no unique, interesting, hidden items, leveling up doesn't make you more powerful relative to your environment . . . there was just a lot of stuff that made the game fall flat.

phantomdesign said:
Oblivion just didn't hold my interest. Morrowind, I played that to death and then continued playing in the afterlife. Oblivion, I played, got bored, played, then got bored, and then just had no interest in playing. It was a great game, but it just didn't hold my interest at all. There's something missing from it, I can still play NWM, Morrowind, or WoW to death, but oblivion . . . there's just no reason for me to want to play.

EDIT: OBlivion is just too stale, as impressive as the graphics are, the caves all look the same, the oblivion planes all look the same and the constant red gets extremely annoying, there are no unique, interesting, hidden items, leveling up doesn't make you more powerful relative to your environment . . . there was just a lot of stuff that made the game fall flat.

My sentiments exactly, it's got a great initial 'rush' feeling but it quickly falls flat after doing the same looking cave with the 'same level' monsters.

:(

Especially when EVERY DAMN NPCS goes 'Hey, you're the hero of Kvatch, aren't you?'

This is a game, not some alternate reality in which to lose yourselves.

I haven't really began playing yet. I got to Kvatch and my computer kicked the bucket soon after.

I havent touched it in a while either. It was really fun at first then its the same thing over and over.

-Talk to this guy
-he wants you to do him a favor
-do him a favor then he tells you go see other guy
-other guy doesnt like you enough
-speechcraft game
-you and other guy are suddenly best friends
-he tells you where to find this dungeon
-you go dungeon crawling for a half hour and finally get what you are looking for

I still play but Oblivion is seriously borked ..half my quests arent working ...been a month now and I still cant complete the last 2 mage guild recommendation quests

I always thought that they were going wrong when I played the mages' quests. It turns out that usually you just have to talk to everyone that the particular quest has introduced you to and one of them will have somehting new to say. Or you have to some how realise that they have hidden an item you need somewhere. The mages' guild is a frustrating place.

Not to mention the dumbest guild questline.
I'm putting Oblivion off until OOO 1.3 is released. Then I'm going to play it like crazy again. :F

I haven't played in over a month, but I miss it and will go back to it soon I hope. Time has become a bit harder to come by of late...;(

I fired it up again today, killed a bear. He rolled down a path for aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaages (looked funny with his mouth open :D) then he sat up and stopped rolling :O

oh, yeah? well I finally got cured of vampirism. besides, i didn't like my dude's apperance. his face was more gaunt than Samuel Beckett's and so pale, he made Micheal Jackson look tan! it took forever. but in other words, yes i still play, you dinkus!

I played it for a few days... then realized it freaking sucked. It's borign as all hell- and I love diablo 2.

I wish I could play. I plan to at least finish the all the guild quests, having already finished the main quest and the gladiator circuit.

Everything in the game is just way too generic. Sure, you can get cool Glass armor with Frost shield, or a nice Elven Longsword with some Soultrap enchantment, but in the end everything is just too much of a permutation of one of a handful of basic items.

I've never played Morrowind, but I looked into it for about five minutes on Google, and found that there are literally dozens of armor types, each with their own unique benefits and stats. And what do we get with the next-gen Oblivion? We get two parallel linear armor upgrades. Woohoo, Light and Heavy armor, with seven levels each! -_-

The only truly good thing about it is the graphics, and perhaps the fact that all the dialogue is audio (though even THAT gets repetitive).

It gets REALLY repetitive and bland after a while. I try to get back into it but after an hour I just say screw it. I only really play it occasionally now because of a lack of single player PC RPG's on my PC.

BRODIEMAN2k4 said:
It gets REALLY repetitive and bland after a while. I try to get back into it but after an hour I just say screw it...
that's what i said about yo mama!

XANA said:
that's what i said about yo mama!

OooooOooohhhHhhhhh Buurrrnnn!!11one1

I tried to go back today, lost interest the moment I loaded. :|

Being incredibly hungover yesterday with nothing to do, I fired it up and started playing my Breton again. I have to say, it was actually pretty good considering I had played the game to death previously.

Only level 4 at the moment, but I'm finding a few quests I had never known about.

Back