Apple Gets Publicly Flogged in UK Patent Dispute

Reaction score
For those who are out of the loop, Apple has been hard on Samsung's ass (in a long series of hard-on-assedness toward basically every hardware company under the sun) about the Galaxy Tab supposedly being a patent infringement on the iPad. Their claim, among other things, was that the following design drawing from Samsung:

apple-motion-samsung-tab-patent-diagram.jpg

was somehow an infringement on the iPad's design. Because, you know, you can patent a cube shape with glass.

For the UK ruling, here's what happened:

http://admin.androidcentral.com/uk-...blicly-admit-samsung-did-not-copy-ipad-design

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18895384

Bloomberg reports that UK Judge Colin Birss has ordered Apple to post notice on the Apple UK website -- as well as Financial Times, the Daily Mail, Guardian Mobile magazine, and T3 -- stating that Samsung did not copy the iPad's design. This comes on the heels of the ruling from the British High Court stating that the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, 7.7 and 8.9 are sufficiently different from Apple's design, and that all of them are strongly based on prior art. Apple must leave notice on their UK website for six months informing consumers of the ruling.

They're gonna be sore for a while after this one. I just hope the appeal gets thrown.

Same company that tried to claim infringement on Google's phones because "a tap is a zero-length swipe." They deserve much worse.

lol'd at this part.
"They do not have the same understated and extreme simplicity which is possessed by the Apple design," said the judge at the time.
"They are not as cool. The overall impression produced is different."

"Their stuff it totally different from your stuff guys, its not as cool as yours. Oh and you should put that on your website. Tell everyone I said they're different because they're not as cool as the ipad."

was somehow an infringement on the iPad's design. Because, you know, you can patent a cube shape with glass.

You certianly can if you are the one to do it first. The case was thrown out because it appears apple didn't do it first so there patent is invalid.

Edit: The BBC article for this case says that in this case Samsung just doesn't practice the patent. Turns out here are dozens of ongoing IP disputes between apple other smartphone manufacturers. I did read about one where apple got its patent invalidated.

Words cannot describe how hilarious this is.

Let's patent everything! Hepr dep.

Getting pilloried in the UK hasn't stopped them from trying to sue Samsung for 2.5 BILLION dollars here in the States.

Apple were probably just jealous of the total dominance Samsung has over the electronic devices market.

"How can we make some quick and easy money from them? Oh, I know, make up bullshit!"

Back