Tank
Reaction score
Armed Assault
Format: PC CDROM
Genre: First person military combat simulation
Release date: H1 2006
Publisher: To be determined

Ultimate Combat Simulation

Brought to you by the creators of Operation Flashpoint*: Armed Assault (ArmA) will reacquaint gamers with the ultimate in realistic, combat gaming.

ArmA_Progress_02.jpg
ArmA features a new engine with a fresh modern setting and focuses on freedom of action and immersive complex environments, blended with a unique touch of total simulation, based on a technology used to train real soldiers around the world, including U.S. Marine Corps, U.S. Army and Australian Defense Forces.

"We aim to again deliver the ultimate military simulation for PC, improving the successful gameplay formula of our debut PC game release Operation Flashpoint. It's refreshing for us to focus again on PC game development after years spent working on the Xbox platform and we work hard to make sure not to disappoint the expectations of the great community that built around Operation Flashpoint with this new game." explains Marek Spanel, director and co-founder of Bohemia Interactive.

ArmA_Progress_03.jpg

In ArmA, players will be able to seamlessly explore massive environments (over 200 sq. kilometres) and combat intelligent enemies that try to out think and outmaneuver you. In ArmA it is important to preserve the lives of yourself and your squad members in the heat of a modern armed conflict. Jump into any of a large selection of available vehicles, including armored vehicles and aircraft.

Progress Update

ArmA_Progress_04.jpg

Bohemia Interactive are delighted to announce that Viktor Bocan, the lead mission designer of Operation Flashpoint and the Resistance expansion has rejoined the team to oversee the ArmA project: "When I was asked to participate in finishing the ArmA project I had absolutely no idea how far it had progressed in the past few months. Now it's not just an "extension" or something; the game has become a real successor to Operation Flashpoint in terms of scale, detail and possibilities". says Viktor Bocan.

Development of Armed Assault (ArmA) is progressing rapidly and Bohemia Interactive is currently looking for a publisher. Armed Assault is now planned to be released in H1 2006.

ArmA_Progress_05.jpg

Bohemia Interactive are delighted to take this opportunity to reveal some more of the exciting features and enhancements that will be found in ArmA and release new screenshots showing ingame footage.
ArmA_Progress_01.jpg
Features/Advancements/Enhancements

Engine/Graphics

* DX9 Engine incorporating many of the latest features, including High Dynamic Range rendering

* Reworked lifelike animations.

* Fully streaming game engine allowing extremely large environments loaded with various special effects.

Environments

* Environments are richly detailed and varied.

* New huge sized battlefield (landmass exceeds that of all islands from Flashpoint & Resistance combined)

* New densely populated battlefield (approximately twice the number of objects on all previous islands combined).

* Dynamic weather and daytime simulation (including tides and star constellations)

* Ambient wildlife.

Gameplay

* Large selection of weapons and vehicles.

* Unique and proven combatant's AI.

* New island containing large cities with many different, fully accessible buildings.

* ArmA s campaign features a brand new story-line, with a modern day setting.

* Campaign s setting and events inspired by real world events, military strategies and political doctrines.

* Updated controls and command interface.

Multiplayer

* Large, persistent battles.

* 60+ player multiplayer (plus additional AI), players can join at any time.

* Unique game modes introducing modes of play not seen in any other game.

* Cooperative game modes.

Custom content support

* Open game architecture.

* Building on top of the successful Operation Flashpoint addon and modding support.

* Built-in scenario editor.

* Versatile object/vehicle animation system.

* Many useful scripting functions.

* Mission wizards enable missions to be played with any addons.

:sniper:
oh the shame :(
i think thats only the second time i've ever done that :(

as the wise yogi says 'assumption is the mother of all **** ups'

still great game :D

yes, looking forward to it as I've never played OP ..well I played the demo but at the time my computer was underpowered

mow.. cant wait till the next gen incarnation of this monster.

Nice try John ;)

Yeah this game is going to be awesome, how many of you lot are going to buy it when it comes out?

busted by the admin :(
woulda got away with it too if it weren't for those pesky kids *shakes fist

john3571000 said:
busted by the admin :(
woulda got away with it too if it weren't for those pesky kids *shakes fist

admin? do you mean me? I'm not a mod, I'm just a peon :)

Jammydodger said:
Nice try John ;)

Yeah this game is going to be awesome, how many of you lot are going to buy it when it comes out?
nope he be the admin (see link below)
you be (lovable) grumpy old man :D

aha my cataract-ridden eyes failed to notice that JammyJam is an admin in another forum ..but we dont discuss other forums here .....they might be watching :O

Jammydodger said:
Me watching? no never ;)

no ..not you ...them

the admins of this forum man! ..joke is ruined stern is sad ;)

I'd buy this for £100 even if it was OFP with a graphics rehaul... but the features, oh the features.

Well technically Axyon, this is only like 50% a new game, seeing as it IS in the ground just what you said, OFP with a graphic overhaul, same as OFP:E, albeit higher multiplayer limit, Bohemia has over and over said that ArmA is nothing but a test-ground for the "OFP2" engine, which will rock, mmm.. OFP2 has a dynamic campaign.. MMM.... Dyyynamic caaaampaign..*Drools*

JNightshade said:
I know nothing about these games. Teach me.
Operation Flashpoint - the ultimate military sim released 99/00
it included levels comprising of 10km^2 islands which could be travelled with freedom
non-linear mission gameplay
vehicles true to life - tanks, helicopters humvees, soviet armour all recreated down to the amount of torque each could muster
realism - one shot kills, iron sights

A revolution in gaming and one of the few games that is timeless

Armed Assault - operation flashpoint reborn with new visuals and engine containing true multiplayer warfare, new campaigns and improved gameplay ships next Summer 2006
see the link in my sig to stay in the know...

Mate.. Operation Flashpoint released in 01, not 99/00.:)

Get your facts right!:p

And it's not new campaignS, it's only ONE new campaign, and ONE new island.:)

Anyway, "OFP2" will be far superior to ArmA imo, since it has some actual new GAMEPLAY, and ArmA is just basically an updated OPF1.:p

I'll be getting ArmA too tho, being the old-time faithfull OFP and Bohemia fan that I am, have all OFP games for the PC, and the XB vers.:)

Gargantou said:
Mate.. Operation Flashpoint released in 01, not 99/00.:)

Get your facts right!:p

And it's not new campaignS, it's only ONE new campaign, and ONE new island.:)

Anyway, "OFP2" will be far superior to ArmA imo, since it has some actual new GAMEPLAY, and ArmA is just basically an updated OPF1.:p

I'll be getting ArmA too tho, being the old-time faithfull OFP and Bohemia fan that I am, have all OFP games for the PC, and the XB vers.:)

Well, talking about facts: the only information on OFP2 is a press release from 2003, an official site that has zero intel, and an official forum where nothing happens. There is no info whatsoever on Operation Flashpoint 2. Please prove me wrong.

Im afraid to say your right, there has been no info released on OFP2 for a loooong while.

To be honest I cant see OFP 2 coming out before 2007

Shakermaker, I will, http://www.gamesradar.com/default.a...onid=1639&articleid=36748&pagetypeid=2&page=1

That article is an official from this year.
The only reason we're not seeing info about OFP2 now is because THAT'S NOT the games name.

You see, CodeMasters refuses to give Bohemia the right to use it, and thus Bethesda has renamed it like "Next-Gen Game" or something like that.

And there IS information.
I've spoken to the PR rep, Paul Statham, a few times, and afaik, "OFP2" is aiming for a late 2k6/early 2k7 release.

ArmA is a testing ground for the new engine's capabilities, and thus ofcourse they want it to be released for a while before they continue.

For example, ArmA will make some use of the animal life system that'll be in place in OFP2, which simulates animals behaviour, where they go etc, ArmA uses it in particular for the birds/seagulls etc.:)

And then, as I said before, relations between CodeMasters and Bohemia seems to be pretty tense, because Bohemia ain't allowed to USE OFP2 as a name, THUS the OFFICIAL site you linked to, which is CodeMasters, really shouldn't exist.

The end of the article states "Armed Assault is due for PC release this autumn and the Operation Flashpoint sequel is expected in 2006"

Albeit that prooves the article obviously used older info, but still, it's an article, with new info, such about the ecosystem simulation, dynamic campaign(As in flight sims) and more.

Is that enough PROOF for you?
EH!?*Takes sedative*
Aaaah... That's the stuff...:)

No problem, glad to help what I assume is a fellow OFP fan?:p

I don't think so Shakermaker, atleast most likely not destructible terrain, and if it does feature destructible terrain(OFP2 included, I haven't heard any firm confirmations of destructible TERRAIN) it'll probably be limited to a 2-3 meter change in elevation.:)

I really can't wait to play with the graphics engine in -OFP2- tho, my favourite "hobby" in OFP was making a night-time mission with two sides facing off against eachother and just watching their shots etc light up the environments.:D

Yeah as Gargantou says we have not been given much info in that area yet.

Jammydodger said:
We now have the video on our site here - AAZ

This game is gonna be humongously big. BF2 64 player maps times 10, right? The graphics are a bit austere but if I can travel for miles and miles I am fine with that. Imagine the MP possibilities .....

*keeps an eye on this game*
Looks awesome. Loved the original too. played that damn game for too long :D

Haha that sea is hilarious
I know :LOL:
This looks rather good and judging from that ocean, I'll be able to run it, awesome. I'll be getting this game once I have my ADSL connection.
I can't wait for my ADSL connection, much better then my 33.6KBPS configuration, I mean thats the same speed as a God damn phone.

Shakermaker, afaik the maps might be limited in size, but perhaps this'll be up to the server host.

Raziel-Jcd I know the game is not the best looking but that's not what the game is about, anyone who has play operation flashpoint will tell you this, this game will have true depth and gameplay you can shake a stick at and still keep comin back for more.

Also the community for these games are huge (a bit like hl2) the OFP community is still churning out good mods & missions 4 years down the line.

The moral of my story? don't judge a book by its cover.

Back