ATI vs. NVIDIA: Round 2

Munro

ValveTime Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Gamers Depot have followed up yesterdays article about the Half-Life 2 DirectX 9 benchmarks. They've managed to get their hands-on benchmarking time with Half-Life 2 and confirm NVIDIA's cards really are poor in Half-Life 2. They also have 12-new exclusive screenshots as well as DirectX comparison pictures that are taken in-engine for HL2. You can read up on this article at the Gamers Depot site here.

Thanks Munro..
Don't know if it's just me but the page with the comparison shots using the different versions of direct X(8.0,8.1 and 9) I couldn't really tell any difference.
Nice screenies though....

good to see the FPS didnt take such a hit with AA/AF on.

Attachments

• dx9_1024_aa.gif
    dx9_1024_aa.gif
    4.5 KB · Views: 559
one thing the benchmark didn't include was a feature only availible with DX9, I'm talking about HDRI lighting, I think that's it, it makes lighing look infinatly better, mark my words.

hmm HDRI has been around for quite some time, and yes it is an incredible improvement over traditional lighting methods.

i am so happy that i bouth the 9800pro :O~

poor nvidia guys, :O~ soz

even 9600pro works better, well, just play on 8.1 its not that bad though

Well, I've seen benchmarks that Geforce fx 5900 preforms better in Doom 3...

So it's basically if you wanna play half life2 go ATI...

If you wanna play Doom 3 go with nvidia...

I however chose the path of ATI and as lucky as I am, I'm getting the right card for Half life 2...

I just sold my 1½ month old GeForceFX 5900 Ultra and bought a Radeon 9800XT.
According to the Email I got, I won't be getting it for about a month, but I'm thinking it'll be worth it.

It should be worth it. Plus, I hear that the GeForce 4 TI's are better than the FX's. Also, I hear that the FX's are very noisy.
I'm trying to get my whole computer updated, hopefully i'll have a top of the line computer for the next 10 years, because I don't wanna have to keep updating my computer every 2yrs.
So.. i'm waiting for a video card that will run all games, including HL2, to run at max fps.

I just hope I can mow 1,000 lawns before HL2 comes out. :p

lol fx5900 ultra are silent/loads faster then geforce4 THE card for doom3
As said above if you want doom3 to run well get nvidia if you want hl2 you wont get it now anyway!!!!!

Back