Baldur's Gate?

Y

Yorick

I didn't see a thread on this already, but I was told yesterday that http://baldursgate.com/ had a countdown timer going on that suggests something exciting is coming. It's down to a mere 4 hours now. Any theories?

The biggest rumor is that it's Baldur's Gate for mobile phones and tablets. I sincerely hope this isn't true.

The biggest rumor is that it's Bauldur's Gate for mobile phones and tablets. I sincerely hope this isn't true.

Ugh that would suck. Do you know what I would really like to see is a remake.

Before anyone kills me, just listen.

What we have today with games that are "inspired" by those games are things like Fallout 3, Mass Effect, etc, that change, among other things, the perspective. I don't want another FPS / Third Person adaptation of a classic series. I want the classic game with the same style it had, and simply updated. They get all "Hurr we can make it seem like you're there" but I've felt way more involved with Planescape Torment than I ever felt with Skyrim or KOTOR or Fable.

I was playing Jagged Alliance Back in Action recently, which is flawed, but is closer to what I want to see than a complete ****ing reworking of what's already good. To Blizzard's Credit, Diablo 3 is keeping the same perspective, and I may just end up getting that.

I heard that Baldur's Gate 2 is coming to Steam. Not related to the countdown though.

Ugh that would suck. Do you know what I would really like to see is a remake.

Before anyone kills me, just listen.

What we have today with games that are "inspired" by those games are things like Fallout 3, Mass Effect, etc, that change, among other things, the perspective. I don't want another FPS / Third Person adaptation of a classic series. I want the classic game with the same style it had, and simply updated. They get all "Hurr we can make it seem like you're there" but I've felt way more involved with Planescape Torment than I ever felt with Skyrim or KOTOR or Fable.

I was playing Jagged Alliance Back in Action recently, which is flawed, but is closer to what I want to see than a complete ****ing reworking of what's already good. To Blizzard's Credit, Diablo 3 is keeping the same perspective, and I may just end up getting that.
Yeah, I am hoping for a true remake. I'm sick of games being developed "in the essence" of the original and is a "true predecessor". I saw that bullshit with too many games (Battlefield 3, I'm looking at you).

15 minutes remaining when I noticed this thread. Now waiting patiently to be underwhelmed.

The Bauldur's Gate site is still down, but Trent Oster posted on Twitter that it is the "Bauldur's Gate Enhanced Edition" that they're announcing. It looks like I might get what I want for once.

Urge to kill, falling.. falling..

A new HD release would be wonderful. I hope its true!

From Trent Oster's Twitter:
"Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition is going to have new content for the game you love, made by some of the original team members"

This is very, very good news.

If it's exclusive to that abhorrent "Beamdog" digital delivery platform count me out.

Actually to be honest, other than being ugly as hell, the fact that it's not Steam is what's wrong with it.

Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 being on GOG is better than it being on Steam. Guaranteed to work, easy to install and cool extras trumps the ease of it being on my Steam games list.

GoG would be awesome... that being said, I sincerely doubt it'll be on GoG.

One day somebody is going to cure cancer. Bonefide cure cancer, with no side-effects, failure rates or anything, using a treatment that's non-invasive and cheap. And they're going to call a press conference together to announce that never again will any families have to be broken apart, any loved ones have to be lost forever, no more children will have to die from leukemia or any other cancerous disease.

Then someone's going to shout out "Yeah, but it's not on Steam, so no thanks."

One day somebody is going to cure cancer. Bonefide cure cancer, with no side-effects, failure rates or anything, using a treatment that's non-invasive and cheap. And they're going to call a press conference together to announce that never again will any families have to be broken apart, any loved ones have to be lost forever, no more children will have to die from leukemia or any other cancerous disease.

Finally, someone understands.

Enhanced. Like, remake enhanced? Why.

Next big thing since the new XCom announcement. Enhanced and remade classic games not turned into FPSs are fresh air.

EDIT: the world is in serious need of a KOTOR remake.

Here is a screenshot from MDK2's "enchanced version" by Overhaul Games:

mdk2hd_012.jpg

They're basically charging us for what we can already do with EasyTutu.

What a ****ing disappointment.

I for one am excited. Baldur's Gate is still the best PC RPG I've ever played. I'm happy to hear they're sticking to the old AD&D ruleset and they've for damn sure got my purchase. The studio head said recently that this is the first step on the road to hopefully making BG3 (probably via Kickstarter) and I am MORE than elated at that possibility.

I'm not sure how BG3 would work canonically speaking... there's an awful lot of closure in Throne of Bhaal. I suppose they could just retcon or do something almost entirely unrelated like in Dark Alliance, but who knows.

They could pull a Diablo and have you overthrow your old character.

I'm interested in playing/streaming the original. I've never played it and was wondering if there's a way to pick it up for cheap/free.

Both BG and BG2 are on GOG I think. Should be pretty cheap. I strongly recommend playing Baldur's Gate before trying the sequel. Both are fantastic RPGs with strong mechanics (AD&D aka 2nd edition D&D) and a richly developed world (Forgotten Realms) behind them.

Though you can buy both and play them using BG TuTu or BG Trilogy mods. Lets you play the first game with additional class and race options (and spells) added in the sequel.

I nearly choked on my food when I came across this thread. Jesus holy christ, please, please, pleeeeaaase do a good job of 'enhancing' my favourite games of all time. This is unbelievable.

I've only just noticed this thread and that post had me choking on my coffee!! Cheered up my day no end! Bravo, FreeMan, Bravo!

Seriously though, I loved the BG games so am gonna have to follow these developments now.... hmmm....

The latest news says that it's coming out for Mac, which is both A) Who cares, and B) Not a surprise since it's coming out for iPads.

But there were a couple new images, I guess.

osx02.jpg

Disappointing, looks like they simply built in one of the resolution mods.

Apparently I was wrong, sweeet!

Beamdog is beefing up both games. Both Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate II will ship with new interfaces, unreleased content, and completely new characters, quests, and kits (classes).

So we've created not just a character kit, but a character, with a history and story and items... with that you get an adventure. There are new items, new areas to play in.

The desktop versions of both games won't be changed much, Tofer says. They'll have higher resolutions and full-screen modes, as well as "working" multi-player
http://kotaku.com/5896538/they-hope-baldurs-gate-will-revive-the-classic-rpg

Do you know how ridiculously happy this makes me? Do you? Good. God those games. My childhood, right there.

Back