Battlefield 1943

I am with Lucid on this one. Shooters made for consoles that are ported to PC, are usually more dumbed down than PC exclusive shooters. Plus mouse & keyboard make for more precise gameplay than a controller.

Where are you getting this 'most' from?

You can even turn autoaim off for the most part.

From watching people play.
Noticed that if there's the option for it, they always use autoaim.
From Goldeneye 64 to the Halo series to Killzone 2.

Look, I don't feel like discussing this any further since it's a pointless argument.
I felt the need to express my preliminary thoughts on BF1943 and that's it.

Well in the past, they have brought out PC demos before the main release, so hopefully we will get a chance to sample it properly like we did with Battlefield 2, which impressed so much...we all went and bought it!

From watching people play.
Noticed that if there's the option for it, they always use autoaim.
From Goldeneye 64 to the Halo series to Killzone 2.

Look, I don't feel like discussing this any further since it's a pointless argument.
I felt the need to express my preliminary thoughts on BF1943 and that's it.

Sadly, watching a few people play is not 'most' of the gaming community. Like I said before, the option is nearly always there to turn it off - at the end of the day, no one loses out if there is an option for others to have it on or off, but if it enables some folk who aren't too great with games to have a much better experience overall, then let 'em have it.

I agree with Lucid and Shaker. The game will most likely be dumbed down, because it's being released for the consoles first.

Like I said before, the option is nearly always there to turn it off - at the end of the day, no one loses out if there is an option for others to have it on or off, but if it enables some folk who aren't too great with games to have a much better experience overall, then let 'em have it.

In a SP game - OK. But in a MP game, I would be putting myself at a disadvantage if I turned auto-aim off, while playing with people that have it enabled.

I agree with Lucid and Shaker. The game will most likely be dumbed down, because it's being released for the consoles first.

In a SP game - OK. But in a MP game, I would be putting myself at a disadvantage if I turned auto-aim off, while playing with people that have it enabled.

Woot, your 5000th post.

Sorry for offtopic moderators, just needed to mention that :eek:

Well in the past, they have brought out PC demos before the main release, so hopefully we will get a chance to sample it properly like we did with Battlefield 2, which impressed so much...we all went and bought it!

I actually never played the demo....I pirated it then realized how fkn fun it was and bought it.

There's a 20+ minute preview of the console version up on GiantBomb. The commentary is quite annoying btw.

Tbh, I prefer the look of the BF2 to BF1943. The graphics look weird somehow. Also the icons, nametags etc. - it's like playing at 640x480, they're so big (it's a console I know).

Im pretty stoked to get to play this, after just finnally getting the xbox 360 controller down well enough in bad company to be competetive. Still worried about flying I need a joystick for the 360 :(

For me BF2 was my favorite but I loved 1942

I'm waiting on the PC version. If it's still being released...

Battlefield 1943 was released (possibly early?) earlier today. At the moment it seems to have been taken down again though, since it immediately maxed out all the servers allocated to it. I'll keep trying to get on throughout the day.

Oh snap, forgot it was today!

Anyone up for some fightin'? I'm Beskhu3epnm, already got a few folk from this thread but it'd be sweet if a few of us got together to play.

EDIT: Working for me, downloading now!

Played one map so far, liking it quite alot. Servers are a little iffy right now - not many, too full, a few graphic glitches, some sound issues but if Bad Company was anything to go by in it's first 2/3 days, it should be fixed shortly.

Great fun! Planes are awesome. Chocs away!

No PC version yet = lame and also = im probably not going to get it because i will be uninterested in it by the time it is out.

Downloaded the demo earlier but the servers were having problems. About to go try again...

Played this for hours last night as I wanted a full rotation of the three maps but ended up staying on til the early hours of the morning, so I've moreorless done everything the game has to offer though not in full depth or detail, but here's some of my thoughts

Aside from one or two very minor stutters and graphic glitches, it plays fine and looks gorgeous. The lighting, water, weather, buildings, greenary, explosions, vehicles... all damned nice, though it's taken a step down from Bad Company for it's got a much smoother and brighter feel to it's aesthetic, ''cartoony'' if you will, but not alot.

I'm not sure whether the maps have been shrunk (and I don't think they have, as I remember Wake Island from BF2) but I don't know where the complaints about 12 v 12 are coming from as these maps are so tiny when compared to Bad Company maps and even they feel just fine with 12 v 12, so these play really well due to the sizes. I played Wake Island briefly on BF2 but I cannot stand that broken-ass game, I'm much more into my Project Reality so I can't really say that it must have felt like a proper cluster**** but I can't imagine it with 64 players. 24 players becomes very busy on this. I'll let others see how they feel about this one, though.

The maps themselves... well, okay, they aren't small per-se, but they aren't exactly End of the Line or Oasis from Bad Company but sizeable enough for skirmishes happening at different points at different times, though usually a pretty big battle over the middle as you would expect. I think Wake Island is probably my least favourite as it's just so simple and linear, but it's a really fun rush in boats and planes to get to the island itself. I've played Iwo Jima the least and that looks like the smallest of the maps but the middle ground is so complicated with it's trenches, dugouts, small fishing quays and huts alongside rocks and wooded areas that the fight flows very well from side to side, depending of course upon who owns the air field and who has command over bunker hill. Lovely afternoon setting, too. Guadalcanal I've played the most as at one point It was on a constant rotation and I was afraid I would be searching for servers for ages if I left. Lot of infantry clashes with tank warfare in this but it's hilly nature leaves tankers really exposed from above, though the mountains and hills leave bombing runs much to be desired which is quite nice. This map feels the biggest but that might be because you can't see the other side from one end due to the mountains, heh.

I never fly in games, not even in PR where planes and helicopters are actually stable and balanced enough to be fair and fun to use, I just pass them on to better pilots, but when a plane frees up in this I'm all over it - not to the extent of a TK though! It's such a rush, I can see where the praise and demand comes from for more air combat in console Battlefields and with the absence of a spectator cam or copilot seat I can play comfortably without someone spawning into my plane who is a better pilot or even watching me and screaming down the mic that I am shit and should let him pilot. **** that, it's just me and my rusted wings screaming divebombs between palm trees and bunkers, dogfighting bastards and bombing tanks as they come. Not got many kills yet (I've one air-to-air machine gun kill and one succesful bombdrop) but I've got the controls pinned down so I'm pretty stable in the sky. Liking it alot.

Weapons and classes, I'll admit, are quite simple. I do wish there was a medic option and not regenerating health and I don't like unlimited ammo whatsoever. That said, the weapons feel and handle quite well but as a Bad Company player it's a bit of a set back to drop to a knee and hope to surpress someone with an M16 in short bursts only to find I'm using a shoddy Thompson, but I guess that's true to the war so I can't complain. Three main weapons for three classes - rifleman with a rifle, infantry with an SMG or scout with a sniper, all with secondary weapons such as the riflemans rifle grenade, infantry anti-tank and scouts C4 charges. I usually play rifleman for the added accuracy and range but it's handy to be infantry for anti-tank capabilities. Shorthanded, but fun all the same.

Aside from planes theres a Japanese jeep and tank alongside US counterparts. Not sure on the specifics aside from the Sherman but you get the idea. I love tanking so it's a bit of a shock to end up in a WWII tin can and feel so limited to a tiny little viewing slot so I do have to switch between the third-person cam quite abit to check some things out. Coaxial machine guns, something-mm founds and a gunner spots on the turret... standard tanks really. Good fun. Wish there was a few more varients but hey ho. In absence of AA vehicles that are usually mounted AA guns at bases along the way which take down planes in no time. Always a bastard, gotta watch out for them.

Artillery comes in the form of air raid bombings now. It becomes available in a small bunker on the map somewhere every 5/10 minutes for whoever to get to it and use it. I haven't used it yet but I've seen, heard and been victim to the bombers payloads. I am led to believe you control three slow bombers that appear from one side of the map and deliver the bombs as you see fit over whatever target you steer them towards, then they're gone once they reach the other side of the map. You can chase them down in a fighter or blow them up with AA which is nice, but I've yet to take control so I'll wait my thoughts out.

I'm really tired and I can't think of much else to say. More later.

I can't state my impressions much better than what Antipop already said. It feels very much like the essence of BF42 boiled down and concentrated, with none of the technical problems or limitations that plagued that game. Sure most of the maps and other bits have been taken out, but what they left in is what people actually used most of the time, making the 12v12 work since no one is stuck doing the jobs no one wants.

As a tanker, one of the biggest tweaks is the destructibility. There are the obvious advantages of not getting hung up on fences or bushes anymore, and being able to blow open buildings to eliminate campers. However, there are some really interesting possibilities that it opens up. I've begun already using stands of trees and bombed out buildings for tank cover, which works excellent in a few spots on Guadalcanal where you can see enemy armor approaching and pick your shot.

Lastly, I started to really appreciate the way in which spotting of enemies and equipment has become automatic. Enemy infantry and vehicles automatically show up on your radar and HUD as long as someone has a line of site on them, meaning a good scout is automatically letting you know about the guy in the bunker that he can see and you cannot.

(Oh, and third person chase cameras are good for maneuvering in tanks, but don't let the cross hairs fool you, you're MUCH more accurate from the first person view.)

As a tanker, one of the biggest tweaks is the destructibility. There are the obvious advantages of not getting hung up on fences or bushes anymore, and being able to blow open buildings to eliminate campers. However, there are some really interesting possibilities that it opens up. I've begun already using stands of trees and bombed out buildings for tank cover, which works excellent in a few spots on Guadalcanal where you can see enemy armor approaching and pick your shot.

Lastly, I started to really appreciate the way in which spotting of enemies and equipment has become automatic. Enemy infantry and vehicles automatically show up on your radar and HUD as long as someone has a line of site on them, meaning a good scout is automatically letting you know about the guy in the bunker that he can see and you cannot.

These perks are two of the great features that were introduced in Bad Company which I'm glad have carried over. I love putting a hole through a building and getting a early sneak shot on a tank before it can see me proper - reminds me of the tank ambush in Band of Brothers. :D

Spotting, too, is great. Sometimes in BC I would just get behind enemy lines and watch enemy tanks and helicopters mobilize and I can do the same for this now.

My one complaint is not being able to chose where I want to spawn. Each team has a cap point that is 'home' until it's get taken, then a new cap point is chosen as the home, etc. I would like to choose between the cap points we already have or am I missing something? It says press 'R' to choose spawn but it doesn't let me. Hm.

Getting pretty good in a plane now, got me a few kills to chalk up on the side of my fighter. :D

I may try this after i read a few reviews. i'm sick of getting games that don't live up to the hype

Too bad I don't have a console, I'm looking forward to this game when it comes out on PC.

Downloading this now on the Japanese playstation network since its not out in UK or US PSN.

My one complaint is not being able to chose where I want to spawn. Each team has a cap point that is 'home' until it's get taken, then a new cap point is chosen as the home, etc. I would like to choose between the cap points we already have or am I missing something? It says press 'R' to choose spawn but it doesn't let me. Hm.
You can do that, the onscreen guide is just a little confusing. Hitting "Y" toggles between the spawn closest to your squad/battle or self-select. Then you can use the left stick to change class and the right stick to change flag.

I remember BF1942 (mainly the Wake Island demo in fact) as my best videogame memory, so this sounds pretty good to me. However, it would mean renewing my Xbox Live account which would make this game a rather expensive one..

All I have to say is I love the aircraft mechanics ive yet to come agianst anyone that can out preform me, but head to head when I attempt to fire at someone they always ram into me which isvery frustrating as a serious air pilot.

Well I finally bought it and played it several hours yesterday. Reminds me of the Bad Company multiplayer mixed with the fun I had playing BF1942. The air raids are awesome because you can see a whole little village destroyed and up in flames. The settings of the maps are all really similar, it would have been nice to see one or two not set on a tropical island.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see map packs released, especially since they got slammed on the first day so they know that the interest is there for the game.

i tried this on my PS3 but no one was talking. now i'm downloading this on my 360 because i'm confident i can get into a group that actually talks. i hate silent multiplayer, its almost as bad as playing with bots

i tried this on my PS3 but no one was talking. now i'm downloading this on my 360 because i'm confident i can get into a group that actually talks. i hate silent multiplayer, its almost as bad as playing with bots

I'm pretty sure you can only talk with squad mates. I know on Bad Company it's squad comms only.

Getting really good at the planes now, if I do say so myself. I'm awful at bombing but I've got dogfighting down. Love it. Played a great final minute of a game today - was at the Ridge spawn on Guadalcanal, four marines are approaching from the foot of the hill. Under bombing runs and the whizz and ping of sniper fire I manage to drop three of them with my infantry rifle just as the fourth guy appears over the front of the sandbag, lunges at me with his bayonet which I sidestep and promptly knife him instead. The same four appear above the rocky hill behind the flag but take cover to try and get me afar so I'm ducking in and out of cover putting as many rounds into the hillside as I can, throwing grenades at the one guy just as the last jumps down from the watchtower and mid-air, I nail him with a lucky rifle-grenade shot to the chest. Game over, we win. The points were down for us just a smidgen over what they had left, so had I or someone else died we would have lost, but because I stayed alive and killed 7/8 guys, we took the lead. :D

the ps3 trial only lasts for so long. i guess i'll have to buy it but i'd rather get it on the 360 because of the more use of the microphones and its always more fun

Epic server issues, EA FTL why havnt EA stepped up and launched something without epic failure, and im not talking about a few minor stuff im talking about not being fully prepared and we all know that they release a game asap and then patch it afterwards so people throw money at it, not a bad business plan but man it pisses off gamers.

http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/battlefield-1943/733928-good-news-bad-news.html

Epic server issues, EA FTL why havnt EA stepped up and launched something without epic failure, and im not talking about a few minor stuff im talking about not being fully prepared and we all know that they release a game asap and then patch it afterwards so people throw money at it, not a bad business plan but man it pisses off gamers.

http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/battlefield-1943/733928-good-news-bad-news.html

It's been working fine for me the past 2 days. Sometimes it takes a few tries to get in a game but nothing too terrible.

Servers are fine for me, perfect even today, but the last two days have been alright if you don't mind spending a minute or so trying. Managed to join up with a friend and get right into a game as a squad in no time today - something that took forever to do on Friday.

Good times.

Back