Battlefield 3

Watching this, and knowing that this is all real gameplay according to DICE, I wonder if that means BF3 will be using an upgraded version of the Mirror's Edge movement model?

They said they were using the same animation capture that they use for EA Sports games.

Watching this, and knowing that this is all real gameplay according to DICE, I wonder if that means BF3 will be using an upgraded version of the Mirror's Edge movement model?

Scripted actions out the butthole. Seriously, look how well animated that fall is, the guy straightens his legs to brace for impact and then follows through completely smoothly. Can't just be how it happens normally... surely.

They said they were using the same animation capture that they use for EA Sports games.
Hmm, true, I forgot about that. I don't think that directly rules out an ME movement model though - if anything, it makes the model less hardware intensive as none of the animations are dynamically generated.

Hmm, true, I forgot about that. I don't think that directly rules out an ME movement model though - if anything, it makes the model less hardware intensive as none of the animations are dynamically generated.

Yeah I don't know what system they're going to use after they've captured the animations. Hopefully other characters' animations and actions in the game are as good as the person you are playing. One of the biggest realism and immersion killers is bad character animations by other players in the game.

Oh this is looking brilliant.

Can't wait to mount up and head back into Karkand!

if you look closely in the win/lost cutscenes at the end of a bad company 2 vietnam match each video has unique animations from retreating/winning soldiers, such as a guy dragging another soldier away, a guy taking cover behind a tank, a troop jumping down from a rock and so forth, so they are all pretty nice and maybe a step towards what we're going to see, but i'm almost certain those animations in the video are for promotional use to wet peoples appetite and as such are likely to be scripted. halo: reach had some incredible animation for visuals that were done first person, but they were never really incorporated into your own playing mechanics during the game itself, just seen through your eyes in cutscenes or put into effect from other models around you.

for example re: battlefield animation of soldier dropping from vent (?) and straightening out, it reminded me of this video (cut to 1:30 for what i mean)

We'll see. One of the features of BF3 is being able to mount your MG on anything, so that would imply they have a lot of flexibility/adaptation built into the animations even if they aren't strictly procedural. I'm going to be sad if the cool features like dragging fallen comrades and mounting your MG on any object are restricted to singleplayer.

I'm going to be sad if the cool features like dragging fallen comrades and mounting your MG on any object are restricted to singleplayer.

Be realistic: It was obviously gameplay from the singleplayer game.

I don't know, it looks like there are ghillie-suited soldiers running around in that streets combat shot. It doesn't seem like a singleplayer setpiece.

I don't know, it looks like there are ghillie-suited soldiers running around in that streets combat shot. It doesn't seem like a singleplayer setpiece.
I dunno. They could be employing massive setpieces in their multiplayer maps. From what I've played of Killzone 3, one map includes a gigantic 4 legged war machine stomping around the background occasionally blowing the hell out of shit on the map. One map from 2 included a nuclear bomb going off in the middle of a round, and other shit. It's all pretty cool and I'd love if DICE includes stuff like that.

Dragging your wounded comrades and mounting your weapons on anything are features being included in a couple different multiplayer games these days (ARMA2, and the new Red Orchestra for example). I don't think its unreasonable to think Dice will be keeping pace in that regard. I certainly hope they do it.

20110224183837capture.png

Because it's an image. :v

mounting your MG onto a surface is something the battlefield franchise should of done long ago. embarrassingly slow to only have it featured now. but then, the MG's in bad company 2 are goddamn accurate as **** in that, hopefully - and this is me maybe looking too much into as a project reality fan - they're going to tone things down a bit on the ordnance and actually make selecting targets and rate of fire a bit more realistic. for example, in BC2 you could fire all 200 SAW rounds in a steady stream and do well with it, but if you were to youtube videos of mg teams firing they fire in bursts of like 5/6 rounds over a course of time. i'd ****ing LOVE a game to play out like that, but then like i said, that's me as a project reality fan.

Most fps games seem to have got rid of recoil altogether. COD, Crysis, BC2. Really annoying.

I hope they include TONS of weapons and customizations to unlock....

edit: And now that I think about it, I forgive you, Dice, for cancelling Battlefield 1943 for PC.

I hope they include TONS of weapons and customizations to unlock....

Not sure I agree with you on that one - With battlefield where there is a large map with many players being able to (generally) identify friendlies/enemies by sound (weapon report, voices) is very useful. In, say, Red Orchestra, you can take a pretty good guess at who's round the corner you're about to turn if they loose of a round or two. One of the things I hate about new games is the masses of customization for player apperance - sure, its nice you want to look that way. But I want to know immediately if you're friendly or enemy, because sometimes the tag doesn't show up, sometimes it'll bug out a show as an enemy, whatever. Knowing friend looks and sounds one way and enemies another can make all the difference when it comes to accidental team kills and quickly reacting to a changing situation.

BF2 had more then enough weapons/unlocks. Just add in the cool red dot scopes and shit and everyone is happy. As always with these kinds of games there will be a few guns that stand out and everyone will use them. Its pointless having masses of weapons.

BC2 vietnam hit the nail on the head with having all weapons unlocked from the get go and not having that many to begin with. on the other hand, i do wish they stayed with the BC1 method of keeping armies their own individual weapons to start with, as when i play vietnam i always find it a bit jarring seeing half the US team using AK's.

but then people are always clammering for unlocks and on the one hand i can see why, it's nice to have something to climb towards, but more important is the gameplay and i think it's done reasonably well in BC2 as opposed to say, the COD games, which have loads of notably overpowered weapons that people go for which ruins any fun in the game. i know friends who use the best weapons that are super accurate just for the points, they'll only use that one class over and over and over whereas me, when i played, i liked to use a nice mix and i'd usually set myself a challenge of being able to handle the more inaccurate or inappropriate weapons. sometimes i just liked the idea or look of running about with a MP5K because its sexy as ****, but nope there's my friend using the M16... again.

As long as each gun falls under one of a set of balanced archetypes, I want as many weapons as possible. Even if the difference is almost 100% aesthetic.

As long as each gun falls under one of a set of balanced archetypes, I want as many weapons as possible. Even if the difference is almost 100% aesthetic.

Now you're speaking my language.

Except it's not as cool in a fast paced game like Battlefield. Arma on the other hand, where you have time to choose weapons carefully...

I don't mind unlocks as long as they don't add to the grind. The unlocks in BC2 unlock rather quickly and are fairly balanced. BF2, on the other hand, had a horrible unlock system. If you can't tell the difference between friend of foe because of the weapon load outs, then some subscription glasses may be the way to go. As for friendly fire. Play on a server with friendly fire off. When has this series ever been about realism, anyway?

BC2 vietnam hit the nail on the head with having all weapons unlocked from the get go and not having that many to begin with. on the other hand, i do wish they stayed with the BC1 method of keeping armies their own individual weapons to start with, as when i play vietnam i always find it a bit jarring seeing half the US team using AK's.

I too would like to see a return to each side using weapons consistent with what they would use in real life. It was annoying in Vietnam to see the US team using AK47's, SVD's, PPSH's and such.

enemies are the non-caucasians.

Don't forget the one token black class. Just look out for the guy with the biggest gun.

Mm-hmm.

Now you're speaking my language.

Except it's not as cool in a fast paced game like Battlefield. Arma on the other hand, where you have time to choose weapons carefully...

Yeah those 500 variations of M4 make all the difference. :>

Also, the aesthetic differences do have a psychological effect on your combat effectiveness. Take BC2 for example - the M14 and Garand have the exact same mechanics (though the Garand has a smaller clip and reloads slower), but the M14 has visually-exaggerated recoil which makes you handle the weapon differently.

the m14 is so much more fun to use now they finally got around to giving that and the G3 red dot and acog capabilities. again, the m14 was a completely unpractical weapon that i LOVED to use because no one else did and because of that it was unique, and also it looks ace and i like the idea of snipers using them as designated spotting rifles... or something to that effect. anyroads, it's much more run to use with scopes now, too.

Don't mind unlocks although I prefer if they are army specific - USMC get ....USMC weapons.

MEC get rusty AKs.

Despite being a complete BF1942 nerd, this might be the first Battlefield game I seriously get into since...the BF2 demo. Actually I'm planning to get BC2 very soon too, but it seems a bit late to really get into it.

It's good to hear that they're making PC the lead platform for once...let's hope they follow up on that promise.

There are still loads of people playing BC2, so don't worry about that.

Back