Battlefield 3

Despite being a complete BF1942 nerd, this might be the first Battlefield game I seriously get into since...the BF2 demo. Actually I'm planning to get BC2 very soon too, but it seems a bit late to really get into it.

It's good to hear that they're making PC the lead platform for once...let's hope they follow up on that promise.

>For once

Wut?

NEW INFO

French gaming mag PC Jeux just ran an article with a few more details about the engine, and a bunch of stuff we already knew. The best part?

The basis of body awareness is the Mirror's Edge, which was subsequently improved. [sic]

Mmm, body awareness.

Do you think love can bloom on a battlefield?

Too bad they can't release before Brink. Then Brink's "completely original and super amazing movement system" will be beaten... again... by the same people who beat them to it the first time.

Some leaked image of a map.

1299001245642.jpg

Right click, view for full image.

Mmm looks pretty. Not getting too excited yet though.

Has DICE shown anything at GDC yet?

>For once

Wut?

I haven't played the recent BFs and so can't judge, but I'm referring to the general trend where games seem to be made for consoles first and ported to PC second. Even if it's well-made and optimized for the PC, there are always little details that remind you that a game was originally made for consoles.

I'm not an expert and this is not my favourite genre, but all these shooters look the same to me.

Cant wait for the CoD and MoH comparisons...

That new footage blew my mind.

But seriously, Im finding it hard to believe that's how the in-game will look. I mean, that looks photo-realistic. I cant help suspect that its like an screenshot of a game used in advertising where they take an in-game screenshot, photoshop the crap out of it so it looks ridiculously pretty, and then we all have a dissappointing 'awwww' moment when we see the game in motion where it looks nothing like the screenshot.

Either way though, DICE is one of only 3 companies I have complete, 100% faith in when it comes to their releases. Relic and Valve are the other two for those intrigued.

If they can make this even slightly better than BC2 and BF2, its going to be ridiculously great.

Not impressed with the gameplay footage, because it's from singleplayer which I don't care much about in this case.

**** SAKE IT'S COD

WHAT IS WRONG WITH ALL OF YOU

this is the same kind of footage that appeared before MW2 when infinity ward had obviously just finished watching generation kill and they decided to piggy back that ultra realism dialogue, movement, sound and atmosphere but stick shitty gameplay over the top of it. you want to make a believable middle eastern combat scenario? stop having marines ****ing tripping over bad guys hiding behind cars and weapons going off full auto everywhere.

urgh who i am kidding, this isn't going to be project reality or arma. it's just going to be a spin off of cod, in the same way that the new medal of honor was, only this will probably be better.

Wake the **** up people, this game is super. True BF style.

Best graphics of all time, Some people just don't care about technical achievements. This is not a technical thread, this is a reveal trailer for a game.

noobs!

Who cares about the single player? I just watched this to see how the engine looks and I have to say I'm impressed.

Wake the **** up people, this game is super. True BF style.

Best graphics of all time, Some people just don't care about technical achievements. This is not a technical thread, this is a reveal trailer for a game.

noobs!

i don't understand this post at all.

if this is a reveal trailer, then it's for battlefield 6. there's been like three - maybe more - videos now.

This is the second trailer we've seen with gameplay footage, and the previous one was only about 15 seconds of clips taken from this latest one.

There are also 3 high-resolution screenshots that EA released along with the trailer:
http://bf3source.com/2011/03/bf3-new-singleplayer-trailer/

I thought the trailer was phenomenal for footage that is described as from a pre-alpha build of the game. In particular I'm blown away by how realistic and fluid the character animations are. I've never seen anything like it.

knut what's your issue? That it's not Project Reality? I don't know what you expected. The quick time event is stupid but let's be honest we're all pretty used to cinematic crap like that in FPS singleplayer by now.

It looks like straight up Battlefield to me, and the multiplayer sounds great from everything I've heard - shaping up to be a worthy successor to BF2's gameplay. I don't even care about the singleplayer, I'm just pumped about the engine and technology. Time will tell if it's good or not, but I have to admit you seem extremely negative for someone who claims to enjoy the Battlefield series.

BF3 isn't shaping up to be ARMA or Project Reality or Operation Flashpoint... but neither was BF2... or 2142... or 1942... so I don't know why you feel like it's valid to whine about how your favorite BF2 mod's gameplay didn't get replicated for BF3.

Who cares about the single player? I just watched this to see how the engine looks and I have to say I'm impressed.

Pretty much this. Technically it's looking and sounding ****ing fantastic, which is good enough for me at the moment. Unsurprisingly the SP just looks like your standard CoD shooting gallery though. Couldn't really give two shits. Maybe it'll be entertaining enough to play through at least once, BC2's campaign lost me about three missions in.

right, second trailer, the first being the teaser. this isn't a teaser, is my issue with that guys post.

it isn't that it's not project reality and i don't expect it to be, however i also don't expect it to look just like COD. regardless of whether this is the singleplayer or not, it's not a good standard. i'm fed the **** up with games suddenly really wanting in on the generation kill action but totally ****ing it up by throwing enemies right in your face for you to endlessly mow down. i'm not going to accept and dismiss the slow mo cinematic crap just because it's in other titles, that's not a good enough reason to just lap it up. it's ****ing bullshit, we don't need to see a marine go down in slow motion to ****ing make the scene anymore hard hitting. it detracts from the situation, if you ask me. that's not what i expect from war.

all we've got so far is what's looking like a really great engine with some great technology, you're correct, but damn if i'm going to believe that's all the battlefield franchize needs to make something worthwhile to play. they keep saying this and that and yeah, in due time they're going to have to show that evenually and i understand that and await patiently for it, but so far this looks like some serious buttering up.

Unsurprisingly, I'm agreeing with what Knut is saying.

You don't need to add in a bunch of stupid shit that doesn't fit with the series just because it's singleplayer.

Look at a game like Operation Flashpoint. That had an awesome singleplayer, and it wasn't because of extra things added like cinematic scenes or a bunch of scripted encounters. The game had solid gameplay, and they successfully utilized this fact to make a great singleplayer. Battlefield can do the same thing. But instead they chose to go the CoD route. Them wasting their time making this singleplayer by creating all these things that don't fit with battlefield at all instead of refining the gameplay itself to make it better is just a bad sign if you ask me. You can say 'i dont care about sp' all you want, but it's going to take a toll on the overall quality of the game.

Again with the comparisons to games like Op Flashpoint that are heavily realistic military sims. Battlefield has never and will never be that kind of game...

I agree, I'm feeling underwhelmed by the singleplayer footage, but I don't really see what I would expect instead. I've never given half a **** about the SP component anyway, in every other BF game it's practically nonexistent (I didn't even play the first mission in BC2).

Back