Battlefield 3

It was fun for awhile, until you started noticing all the balance issues and the myriad of other problems that should have been avoided.

Remember in BF2 when your team was losing and you grabbed a chopper, and 6 of you parachuted in on their rear base, took the base and won the game?
Remember all those desperate defibs under heavy fire while ventrilo was screaming in your ear
Remember that <insert 1 of a million awesome moments> that had you and your team ecstatic, laughing, exhausted and exhilarated?

The single player might be crap. It might be great but the video looks crap. It might look and be great. At the end of the day, I doubt I'll even play singleplayer. But am I excited about BF3? You bet your ****ing arse I am!

I remember a whole bunch of similar moments from BF1942 and its mods. If BF3's MP can capture half that excitement(because let's face it, the uni graduate I'll be by the time this comes out will be much harder to impress than the middle school kid I was when I first picked up BF42) then I couldn't care less how shitty and unoriginal the SP is.

One thing I really hope comes back for BF3 is cappable main bases. In BFBC2 it is incredibly frustrating when all but one enemy base is gone and one side is trapped in thier main and the other spends a good while just raping, wating for the round to end. Even the dome-of-death in BFBC2:V didn't solve this problem, if anything it made it worse. Give us a way to finish a round that is already over, please DICE!

Gameplay footage(CAM). Vids are al the same but they keep getting taken down so I posted a few links.

edit: EA got them. Check neogaf for d/l links though.

I really like the way the body moves in reaction to everything.
Also, holy ****... there's finally animations for getting on an MG! Can't wait to see how getting into vehicles works.

I really like the way the body moves in reaction to everything.
Also, holy ****... there's finally animations for getting on an MG! Can't wait to see how getting into vehicles works.

I forgot about mg/vehicle teleportation. That would be nice to see fixed.

It'd be great if they got rid of teleporting into vehicles and such, would be a nice touch with multiplayer. It's always annoying when you're shooting someone and they disappear into a vehicle. Now I can (possibly) shoot them while they try to climb into that damn tank!

Spamming E next to a tank saved my life more times than I can remember. But animations for getting in and out of vehicles would be awesome, especially if you stay in a first person perspective.

Far Cry 2 did entering animations, and did it better than what I saw in the leaked videos. It was kinda slow and unnatural looking the way he hopped into the truckbed.

But that video did absolutely nothing to change my mind. I watched it, hopeful that they would show something special, but none of it looked very impressive. There is almost no recoil on any of the weapons he used, which is yet another bad sign, and the earthquake thing was most definitely not dynamic.

There's also no telling if the "getting on machinegun" animation is going to be an actual part of MP or if it's just another scripted SP event, like dragging the wounded soldier to safety.

Personally I thought the most interesting part of the video was the quick montage of other settings near the end. Shows how excited I am about yet another dusty Middle-Eastern city.

Definitely looks impressive. Besides that... yeah.

Still going to take some convincing for me to ignore that stupid pre-order bullshit.

wow. gets better and better every time they show it off

wow. gets better and better every time they show it off

Well the first few videos were nothing more than a character moving around, so it would be pretty damn pathetic if it DIDNT get better from there.

The pivotal question is, will I be able to spot boats while on the new Karkand?

Firing an AT4 without even aiming.
Yep, this is a Battlefield game alright.

Ha.

I aim ... only after it's fired though. Why bother aiming when you can just guide the rocket to its target post-fire?

i think the only good thing about that trailer was that it didn't show the sniper getting dead-one shots at the marines, more over it showed them being quite liberal with their movement and posture. if you watch any sort of youtube video showing soldiers in the middle east, or - to bring a point back again - generation kill, it's quite the same; snipers and people taking pot-shots aren't hitting targets left, right and center which i can often find quite annoying when you really want to do something in a game like man a turret mounted gun or just stand somewhere and observe a battle through binoculars, do a bit of spotting maybe. no, in games it's always bam hit, blam hit, no room for anything that isn't KILL KILL KILL at all.

well, i guess it doesn't really make much sense to say people stand around in the open and don't get shot a lot, i guess you gotta watch something like ross kemp in afghanistan or any other show that embeds cameras with soldiers and you do often see them standing quite freely around spotting whilst a sniper shot cracks over their head, because they know that the shot isn't going to make the distance or drop or whatever. i dunno, long ramble short... nothing too special there, again.

I still don't care much about the singleplayer, but on most points it seems to be satisfying the largely-military hardcore crowd that has been judging it based on things like whether or not they count the round in the chamber while changing clips or the explosive force of an AT4 round.

It's clear at least that Generation Kill, Restrepo, the Hurt Locker and other things like that have been required viewing for everyone on the team.

I think it'll be a while before MP footage is shown, but the 3rd and final episode of this Fault Line mini-series (to be released March 30) will be cool at least. Judging from the GDC and PAX demonstrations and various magazine previews it should showcase a larger-scale battle with helicopter air support, some kind of 50cal on a jeep, and some other neat stuff before culminating in an earthquake which looks pretty damn awesome.

I don't know if it was ever posted in this thread but there was a leak of the GDC video that shows all this, albeit in cam quality:

There are some download links to higher-res versions of this on my site, they should theoretically still work:
http://bf3source.com/2011/03/todays-bf3-news-leaked-gdc-video-and-more/

the earthquake footage made the rounds a few pages back. as expected, the quake looks scripted as **** and i don't think it'll have any effect on the games dynamics whatsoever except for showcasing destructibility.

i think the only good thing about that trailer was that it didn't show the sniper getting dead-one shots at the marines, more over it showed them being quite liberal with their movement and posture. if you watch any sort of youtube video showing soldiers in the middle east, or - to bring a point back again - generation kill, it's quite the same; snipers and people taking pot-shots aren't hitting targets left, right and center which i can often find quite annoying when you really want to do something in a game like man a turret mounted gun or just stand somewhere and observe a battle through binoculars, do a bit of spotting maybe. no, in games it's always bam hit, blam hit, no room for anything that isn't KILL KILL KILL at all.

well, i guess it doesn't really make much sense to say people stand around in the open and don't get shot a lot, i guess you gotta watch something like ross kemp in afghanistan or any other show that embeds cameras with soldiers and you do often see them standing quite freely around spotting whilst a sniper shot cracks over their head, because they know that the shot isn't going to make the distance or drop or whatever. i dunno, long ramble short... nothing too special there, again.

I had the opposite issue with it. The sniper is directly across from them at what I'd assume to be a relatively short distance, and is constantly landing shots wildly off-target (but not enough to miss those all-important pot plants!). When they take cover at the end, it's obvious they're trying to be careful, and yet two of them have their heads almost completely exposed. Small issues, but still. Overall though, it still looks far too constrained for me to care. Linear is fine, but I want to see some combat scenarios with room for improvisation, not another stop-and-pop shooting gallery or highly scripted sequence with a single, predefined outcome.

Also, SLOW MOTION YAAAAAAAAY ****ing hell.

Yeah that was really stupid. How is it a video game? What choices does the player have? He's following his group of squad mates who are perfectly safe doing their pre scripted routine, and the only thing the player can do to change anything is expose himself enough to get shot, or miss the AT4 shot.

Why the hell do they need to take that sniper out anyway? Why are they sending a squad of guys up an adjacent building instead of the one the sniper's in? Ah well, now I'm just ranting based on speculation.

I had the opposite issue with it. The sniper is directly across from them at what I'd assume to be a relatively short distance, and is constantly landing shots wildly off-target (but not enough to miss those all-important pot plants!). When they take cover at the end, it's obvious they're trying to be careful, and yet two of them have their heads almost completely exposed. Small issues, but still. Overall though, it still looks far too constrained for me to care. Linear is fine, but I want to see some combat scenarios with room for improvisation, not another stop-and-pop shooting gallery or highly scripted sequence with a single, predefined outcome.

Also, SLOW MOTION YAAAAAAAAY ****ing hell.

oh don't get me wrong, it was still stupid, but during a few of the sequences it was just nice to see soldiers not constantly getting shot by dead-eye snipers all the time.

i hated hated hated the throwback blur it gave the characters vision when a shot landed near, though. urgh.

I don't even take these things as actual game footage. It's more of a scripted engine demo for the purposes of generating hype. Single-player Sergeant Shooter Person games are boring anyway. I only really care about how the MP will play.

One thing I liked: "clear the backblast!" Wonder if this will have any consequence in-game. Would be hilarious if they left it in for multiplayer.

Even if they did, it would probably just take like 10% health and maybe a little stun. Not like Arma where it could down you.

WTF, was the sniper trying to suppress them until he runs out of ammo, firing that rifle every 4th second? Cause it didn't seem like he was trying to hit them.

WTF, was the sniper trying to suppress them until he runs out of ammo, firing that rifle every 4th second? Cause it didn't seem like he was trying to hit them.

Well, the way they were moving, a real sniper would have taken them all out before they even got up to the ledge. Lets all run together in a predictable grouping to avoid fire! THAT MAKES SENSE.

Well, since everyone else is nitpicking about the realism of that scene:

a) Iraqi/Afghan whoever using ".50 cal" (so the soldier seems so sure) IN a city to aim at targets IN THE SAME city = no
b) Said sniper suicidally engaging targets at such close range without any of his own support = no
c) US sending a lone, unsupported, ill-equipped fireteam onto a ROOF to take out said sniper = noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Just ****ing bomb the building. Or, if air support not possible, use a tank. Or, if tanks not available, use a mortar. And if all that fails, USE YOUR OWN DESIGNATED MARKSMEN. It's not hard.

----------------

But I think you guys are being unfair. Is it stupid because it's rails-y? Yes. Is it stupid because it's not the most realistic war game ever? No. BF1942 wasn't, and neither was BF2. Why should BF3 be?

COD wasn't realistic either, so every un-realistic looking thing that keeps happening with this game just makes it look even more and more like COD.

if anything, in todays market of games, turning BF3 into a at least quasi-realistic game would be a unique, interesting turn for the game, but it looks like that isn't going to be the case.

Back