Best way to make a fence?

Reaction score
My fence texture starts to dissappear as you get further away:
narutomap_rooftop.jpg

Is it something to do with the filtering? Is there a way to make the texture's "lod'd" version visible?

cylyk said:
do you use AF?
Yeah I use it, what setting should I put it on? It's on "Application Preference" right now.

Black-Falcon said:
check the LOD settings for the fence
It's not a model of a fence, it's just a fence texture on a brush.

it has nothing to do with AF, i had the same problem. still haven't found a solution like all the mapping snags ive come across

Totally annoying, it's a pretty small map and the fencing surround it is a pretty big part of it. Argh.

I think it may be too close to the skybox? as you get a way the skybox may be overlapping the fence in the renderer.

Can't think of anything else, but I don't think it's a LOD issue, since the fence on the far wall still renders fine.

lePobz said:
I think it may be too close to the skybox? as you get a way the skybox may be overlapping the fence in the renderer.

Can't think of anything else, but I don't think it's a LOD issue, since the fence on the far wall still renders fine.

The far wall still renders fine because it's almost face-on to the player. It's just when you start to get at an angle.

try tieing it to the entity func_detail with default settings.

Ive been creating things in Hammer as im new to it to get the hang of things, i created a fence, but i used a brush and a fence texture.... is doing fences the same as glass ? use a nodraw then a texture ?

eddie500 said:
try tieing it to the entity func_detail with default settings.
Didn't work, it must be an AF issue, since the fence wires are too small to render properly without dissappearing or something.

Wrafe said:
Ive been creating things in Hammer as im new to it to get the hang of things, i created a fence, but i used a brush and a fence texture.... is doing fences the same as glass ? use a nodraw then a texture ?
Only one side of my brush has the fence texture applied to it, the rest is nodraw. I'm not sure if you will be able to see the fence from behind because of this, but you can't get behind the fence in my map.

it looks like you have it on bilinear texture filtering.. go into video options>advanced>and try either using trilinear or some AF level and see what it looks like

What is the best way to make a fence. I'm gonna use a lot of fences in my map and so far I've used props, but I think it will be more computersaving to use a brush instead.

How do I set the fence texture on the brush so it does not act like a "wall", that is ; is transparant, and make the metalsound when hit by a bullet.

Please tell me (us)

Back