BF3 @ E3 thread

Jesus finally.

Of course there are things we will not be showing at E3, including the (....) Battlefield 3 Battlelog web destination – featuring powerful social tools, feeds and detailed player stats. Battlelog also lets you manage your friends lists, squad up, create platoons, use voice chat and follow your friends’ progress in real-time, and more. Battlelog will be available for the monthly fee of (drum roll)... zero dollars. We look forward to providing more information on these features in the near future!

lolled.

Also, in the part I cut away a team deathmatch mode was mentioned. I am not so sure about that to be honest.

TDM sounds like it could be interesting. I'm imagining something between counterstrike and Squad DM from bc2 on small versions of the multiplayer maps.

edit: and OH SHIT CO-OP CAMPAIGN but no DETAILS!!!!

TDM sounds like direct gameplay competition with MW3 to me. It'll likely be a sort of halfway point between Squad Deathmatch's small-map infantry matchups and the two-team objective-driven gameplay of Conquest and Rush.

I'm guessing TDM is more of a bone they're throwing to the console peons who will only get 24 player matches.

I'm excited about E3... everything up to this point has been tantalizing but the real meat of the game is MP and I can't wait to see how that's shaping up.

I'm excited about E3... everything up to this point has been tantalizing but the real meat of the game is MP and I can't wait to see how that's shaping up.

Same. I hope there will be hands-on multiplayer demos for the journos.

Same. I hope there will be hands-on multiplayer demos for the journos.

This is confirmed, I'm not sure if it's just for press or for anyone at E3 though. Probably just press.

At Battlefieldo we've got a couple people attending E3 and DICE has told us they'll wrangle one of them a press pass for the BF3 event, so we'll have pretty comprehensive coverage of E3, and we'll be streaming video from our correspondents and probably doing some live podcast stuff (you can hear my pretty voice) over on our site during the events this week.

This is confirmed, I'm not sure if it's just for press or for anyone at E3 though. Probably just press.

At Battlefieldo we've got a couple people attending E3 and DICE has told us they'll wrangle one of them a press pass for the BF3 event, so we'll have pretty comprehensive coverage of E3, and we'll be streaming video from our correspondents and probably doing some live podcast stuff (you can hear my pretty voice) over on our site during the events this week.

Make loads of video footage. Over the shoulder videos of the multiplayer please!!

curious about the map name, operation metro. at first i envisioned this as a fairly small, strictly indoors map, perhaps platform to platform fighting and tunnel skirmishes around a metro station, or maybe nothing even to do with a subway whatsoever. then they mentioned it will involve being able to disable vehicles which would mean something on normal terrain which makes me hope that the map is both a mixture of a underground close-quater fighting with more urban, mid to long range firefights on the surface, except both the underground and overground are accessible via metro entrances, maintenance tunnels, blown open roads, etc, making the map traversable from either beneath or on top. i think that would be a nice mix to the battlefield map pool.

of course, it might not been metro in the underground railway sense at all.

They said something along the lines of Operation Metro being able to demonstrate both the close-quarters urban fighting and the more wide-open vehicular areas we can expect from BF3. I'm interested to see it myself. I hope it's a proper 64 player map, but I suspect they'll be running a 24 or 32 player version (or maybe they will have 64 PCs set up... which would be ridiculous).

If it is a metro in the sense of a subterranean railway I really hope it's possible to open up alternate routes by blowing holes in the ceiling of the metro tunnel through to the ground above, at least in some areas. Not terribly optimistic about that though. As much as I'd like big chunks of rubble to be persistent and used as cover or blocking an area from vehicle passage, and for true destructability and deformable terrain, I'm guessing it will mostly just be a fancier and more visually attractive version of BC2's destruction.

Be sure to try and get them to make note of the spec's of the machines they are running (if at all possible) and a guess as to the fps.

So far all of the press demonstrations at GDC, PAX etc have been running on a rig with a single GTX 580. One of the BF3 programmers said as much on twitter a while back (@repi).

It will, I'm pretty sure of that. As long as you have a solid quadcore or more backing it up.

A GTX 580 runs the game on max settings with a perfect visible framerate (30+).

I'll probably upgrade before the end of the year comes, there are a few PC games coming out which I want to play on full with a nice smooth FPS. I have the PC, just my card that's lagging behind a little now so it shouldn't be too expensive for me :)

bs5st.jpg

There's no doubt that Battlefield 3 will be the better looking game. The engine that MW3 is running on looks very dated to me.

I'll probably upgrade before the end of the year comes, there are a few PC games coming out which I want to play on full with a nice smooth FPS. I have the PC, just my card that's lagging behind a little now so it shouldn't be too expensive for me :)

bs5st.jpg

That image made me laugh, but the MW3 one is probably the bottom of the clip, since it looks like the dude in front just tossed it to him.

That image made me laugh, but the MW3 one is probably the bottom of the clip, since it looks like the dude in front just tossed it to him.

as much as i don't want to give too much of a **** over this image, it is a graphical glitch/unfinished render/whatever. watch one of those slow-mo trailers and you see that when he throws it to the guy theres a little band around one end of the magazine, and in the next shot when he loads it into the rifle the band is on the bottom half of the mag which would be the half covered up under the glove in that screen shot.

it really doesn't matter, but i wanted to get to the bottom of it just to be sure on modern warfares 3 behalf. end of the day, it's just a little bug. i'm not even defending mw3 here, either.

the first trailer from E3 has been leaked early. this is just a teaser basically for what we'll see tomorrow i think. press conference in about an hour (3:30 EDT). you can watch it on http://battlefieldo.com on our stream and hop in our irc (#battlefieldo on gamesurge) to join about 150 other fans waiting for it. warning though, most of them are youtube comment level retards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFbAjRSyKOw

well from the looks of things it is going to involve both over and underground action as i hoped it would.

looks like they're going for the halo: reach approach with the very personal knifings/assassinations. also, did that rubble at the end kill the guy? pretty cool.

i hate to go back to the COD comparisons, but i can't help but think that because this is map is looking to focus on tight-quarter combat that a lot of those shots looked very fire from the hip frantic with lots of people, friendly and enemy alike, running amuck firing all over the shop. still, eager to see some more in-depth footage soon.

Yeah, it was really hard to tell much about the game with that trailer. I'm starting to get really pissed off at game trailers recently, not just EA's but everyone's. They're all retardedly fast cuts that show ****ing nothing about how the game actually flows or works. There was probably just as many cuts in that video as there were seconds. The graphics were purdy, but thats really all I could gather from it.

Also, the sound was annoying as ****.

Wow, anyone else see the EA press conference? The BF3 coverage was immense :D Live play on a PC! I am shocked but pleased :)

Any Reticule E3 coverage is at the following links - http://www.thereticule.com/?tag=e3 - read the EA one for impressions on BF3 :)

If i am forced to use their shitty EADM replacement to play the game, then i will not be purchasing it at all.

Multiplayer footage and live demo tomorrow morning at 11:30 AM US eastern time.

You can stream on my site as usual. We had over 200 people in our IRC channel watching the stream together. It was kind of a retard fest.

We'll be posting the long tank battle singleplayer footage from today's presentation in a few moments once the video is done uploading :)

I'm fine with the shitty official trailer because I'm sure there will be either better leaked MP footage or more official stuff.

I think I want to build a new computer just for this. The short bits of Operation Metro looked amazing. The tank footage gives me hope that the singleplayer is going to be good.

Wonder if the next 560Ti-type price point card will be released by the time this hits the shelves.

It's over. CoD is finished.
GkGWj.jpg

immediate gripe/cringe with the demo is the dinosaur and flashbacks of a family with an assurance that you'll ''get back for his birthday'' - it's so forced it's almost vomit-inducing. also, miller. miller. that's one easily shouted marine corp name away from being rodriquez or jackson. MILLER GET ON THE MARK 19. MILLER GO SHOOT SOMEONE. miller, **** off.

otherwise, seems like a pretty run of the mill tank mission. game looks gorgeous, though.

immediate gripe/cringe with the demo is the dinosaur and flashbacks of a family with an assurance that you'll ''get back for his birthday'' - it's so forced it's almost vomit-inducing. also, miller. miller. that's one easily shouted marine corp name away from being rodriquez or jackson. MILLER GET ON THE MARK 19. MILLER GO SHOOT SOMEONE. miller, **** off.

otherwise, seems like a pretty run of the mill tank mission. game looks gorgeous, though.

We do need more diversity in modern games, like "QUAN SHI GET ON THE MARK 19. CHAKRABARTI GO SHOOT SOMEONE."

We do need more diversity in modern games, like "QUAN SHI GET ON THE MARK 19. CHAKRABARTI GO SHOOT SOMEONE."

i don't know if you're being both serious and silly as a joke, but there is a middle ground of, oh i don't know, a couple hundred thousand names, that aren't stock marine corp names.

but, y'know, absolutely. more diversity would be nice.

Back