Black Mesa "More of less complete" (dozens of screenshots)

The mod was never cancelled. You're just confusing the general decline of interest with cancellation.

Apparently the whole article is from an unauthorised leak within the team. And the article says Xen isn't done. 2012 is sure going to be a fun year.

I looked at the screenshots, and I'm afraid that they've only served to reinforce my opinion:

"meh"

The first picture in the second album (the one of the rocket test control room) looks pretty bad compared to the one shown in that trailer way back when. Where did that version go?

Well, at least it isn't less of more complete.

Again, the screenshots were basically unauthorised, so it's not like anything was finalised or polished enough to be fairly judged. The Rocket Test room in the trailer looked awesome because the trailer had a buttload of post-processing.

Not high-def enough for you? Some of the content is probably the best they could manage (basically, anything with a face looks like someone whacked the 'post yourself!' thread onto a human model. Because that's what they did) but they're always going to have the problem that the mod was a hilariously bad idea from day one.

Six years for a full overhaul of what was a generously sized FPS is actually a commendable turnaround (well, insofar as there has been a turnaround). Except, six years is the exact amount of time it took for the original product to become visually obsolete. Sure there's something gained in progressing the visuals of an older project, but it all seems like one hell of a lot of wasted creative energy to me. Creative energy that could have made an awesome, new modification. Why else does the project have all those over-thought design flourishes? Those loading corridors filled with diorama sideshows and endless in-jokes and 'little details'...

The mod was never cancelled. You're just confusing the general decline of interest with cancellation.

Perhaps. I'm sure I read that they'd given up on it at some point. Perhaps that was me.

Anyone notice the flying coffee cup? This is gonna be so cool.

The only picture I thought was average was the image with the shotgun and drawings of an alien creature on the board.

This game was slated for an Nov 09 release if I remember correctly.

Seems like Valve's release date habits is more than a trend, it's a curse. Anyone who works on a Valve game is cursed to require an additional year or two to finalize.

Looks alright visually but it's still redundant as hell.

I think they are waiting for Episode 3 to be released because there will be some new features of Source in Episode 3.

That's a hell of a stretch.

Again, the screenshots were basically unauthorised, so it's not like anything was finalised or polished enough to be fairly judged.

Screenshots taken by someone playing it is more indicative of the final product than anything the team will release.

I think they are waiting for Episode 3 to be released because there will be some new features of Source in Episode 3.

AND at the same time, valve is waiting for the release of Black Mesa Source to see if they hire the team for the production of Episode 3. Now I know what is with all the quiet. :|

It's going to come out.
Sooner or later.

It's going to come out.
Or not.

AND at the same time, valve is waiting for the release of Black Mesa Source to see if they hire the team for the production of Episode 3. Now I know what is with all the quiet. :|

Good point. I guess we will never know for sure. :rolleyes:

Screenshots taken by someone playing it is more indicative of the final product than anything the team will release.
I wouldn't say BM select only their best stuff to any greater extent than every half-decent mod team or developer on the planet. This is, after all, a Half-Life 2 forum. Valve have basically defined the modern pre-release, utterly fabricated showcase. They're also a developer who put the defining polish into the last five percent of development and you can bet Black Mesa is following that unquestioningly.

To have the current alpha leak out with every inch of available playtime documented by some random end-user. No, it's not like Valve were ever in that situation, is it? And if any of the screenshots did exist, they would totally be 'indicative of the final product'. Of course. Naturally.

Man, episodic content is really lost on Valve.

hmm, is this real? if those screens are true to how the game is really gonna be I'm quite disappointed.

exactly what I'm hoping. it looked quite crude in places. even compared with the media from their website.

I just checked on the BM forums, and this was clearly a leak of some sort, it's not even the current build of the mod let alone the final.

I doubt this is a valid preview.

Edit: ok it is, but there was a breakdown of comms; they weren't supposed to release those screens.

I just checked on the BM forums, and this was clearly a leak of some sort, it's not even the current build of the mod let alone the final.

I doubt this is a valid preview.
Someone with a brain! Exactly.

Here's what one of the developers said:

Stormseeker 17hours 28mins ago says:

Considering that alot of the shots are of MY work, I can say definitively that these ARE alpha shots, taken of areas not yet finished to beta standards (such as from my chapter Questionable Ethics, the whiteboard etc). The shots were taken by Atomic, not by the dev team. They were supposed to have had a limited access play of the beginning of the game without actual access to the files, instead they got access to the current alpha build and took a bunch of unauthorised shots.

Therefore these are not representative of the quality we hope to have upon release, and should NOT be seen as final.

Wait just hold on a sec there. That is even worse as I just read "the current alpha build". :| It's been how many years and it's only in alpha and looks like that???

Wait just hold on a sec there. That is even worse as I just read "the current alpha build". :| It's been how many years and it's only in alpha and looks like that???

no, I think it means that what they gave to atomic was the final alpha build, which they're no longer using. the game now is nearly finished :cheers:

also, lol @ the people judging this by the clearly-set-to-low-ingame-settings screenshots.

They replaced the casserole scientist with a girl. That's one half of Magnuson!

It doesn't look very much like the Half-Life 2 style. Something is off. Sort of like a strange hybrid of the Half-Life 2 style and Doom. It's not just the areas shown. I thought the same when I saw their zombie model. It's just not the same style as Valve uses somehow.

Edit: I see they made the einstein with Eli in to Kleiner, as Laidlaw said would be his preference. I still don't like their bullsquids.

Every time I hear about this, I think "Surely it's out already..."

Hmmm.

I have to be honest, it looks like crap.

They should have done one of the following, instead of remaking the whole game

1-just release the most visually impressive looking areas
2- do a mod based on new black-mesa themed level, in the style of the most visually impressive areas.

This mod is a joke and looks like crap, and it was too ambitious to begin with (remaking the whole game? Come on)

Black Mesa Source FINAL score= 5/10

They should probably remove this from their front page at some point

recentupdates.jpg

lol, looks pretty decent. Seems to be much sharper than the original PC version. But is the uproar about this just about the visuals? Its the same game exactly, right?

I have to be honest, it looks like crap.

They should have done one of the following, instead of remaking the whole game

1-just release the most visually impressive looking areas
2- do a mod based on new black-mesa themed level, in the style of the most visually impressive areas.

This mod is a joke and looks like crap, and it was too ambitious to begin with (remaking the whole game? Come on)

Black Mesa Source FINAL score= 5/10

It's already been said a few times in this thread that those screens are leaks of an earlier build of the mod. The final BMS, presumably, will look a lot better.

Back