Black Mesa Update News

Hectic Glenn

Site Director
Staff member
Reaction score
The Black Mesa mod team have just this second released a hugely anticipated update on what they've been up to in the past year of silence and grafting away turning Half-life 1 all Sourcey.
Over the course of the year the team had to endure an internal alpha leak, the hacking and subsequent deletion of the entire public forum database, multiple hackings of the public forums after that.
Now they've released some truly fantastic media, which has everyone salivating. See a sample of which below.[br]

newsspacer.gif
newsspacer.gif
[br]
newsspacer2.gif
[br]
newsspacer.gif
newsspacer.gif
[br]And...this is only the tip of the iceberg. Check out the Black Mesa website, and browse the entirely new media section. Beware they are facing a lot of traffic right now though. Enjoy! I know I am, wow! (Thanks to Sloth for picture help)

God those were hard to get, love the Zombie and the blow glow from the Reactor Chamber's water supply...

Can't wait.

Looks so good. My continued best wishes to the team - so looking forward to playing this, whenever that is.

So...hottt....

Too bad the full release probably wont hit till 2008

My god this is looking good! is that self-shadowing that Im seeing in some shots?
Im really looking foreward to this, the quality looks far better then Hl2 its self!
I mean some of those screenshots doesnt look like its running on source... but something better :)

Is that poor scientist gonna get some eyebrows at any point or is he doomed to be picked on by all the other spods at Black Mesa for having a bald forehead?

Seriously though, the mod (feels a bit unfair even calling it just a "mod" actually) ... the conversion is looking incredible. The details are gonna make the world of difference though between perfection and a good stab. For example, Eli needs to look like how he does in that photo of him, Asien and baby Alyx, the one found in his lab at Black Mesa East. Little things.

Hard to believe this is going to be a free mod. Wouldn't surprise me if they got bought out by Valve and it was released as a retail product. I'd still buy it.

Anybody who buys HL1:Source instead of just waiting for Black Mesa is a fool. The detail these guys put in is incredible, it rivals if not surpasses the quality of the stock HL2 models/levels.

Anybody who buys HL1:Source instead of just waiting for Black Mesa is a fool. The detail these guys put in is incredible, it rivals if not surpasses the quality of the stock HL2 models/levels.

Well, some of us got it with our Steam package.
fool :p

Hard to believe this is going to be a free mod. Wouldn't surprise me if they got bought out by Valve and it was released as a retail product. I'd still buy it.

This would not surprise me in the slightest either.

This team sure has some talent. That zombie looks amazing!

But the glock could use another pass. It's a little box-tastic at this point.

Ze Glock, it burns my eyes!

The pit though... omg that's so amazing. Really makes Black Mesa feel so much more high-tech... and horrifying.

Seriously. This is so f*cking amazing. These guys are doing such an AWESOME JOB I just hope they dont take forever and never release it until HL2 is dead. Which will suck if they do.

Maybe they should have it like, episodic content and release the first levels and then when the next is done release that or something I just want it NOW!

And OH OH! I just learned that you'll be able to go CO-OP. OMFG FRIKKIN SWEAT! I WANT THIS SO BAD!

Maybe they should have it like, episodic content and release the first levels and then when the next is done release that or something I just want it NOW!

That's what I've been saying!

Really though this will kick ass even if it isn't released until 08...

Aside from the fat glock it looks great too bad we won't be playing it for another year at least.

I really hope valve steps up and starts supporting this team financially... their work seems to be the perfect tribute to HL.

The models are great and the level design is amazing, I love the detail and the great lighting in the maps.

I wonder how far they are in dev, ar some parts playable already?
Would it be possible to release some screenshots with action/gameplay in it in the (near)future?

you should have seen the forums around the time of the media release, they went off!!!

awwww,When I see stuff like this,and I don't know when it comes it makes me go CRAZEH!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for the comments guys :)

Per usual, we are looking for constructive criticism as well, so feel free to throw that ball around!

Yes there will be cooperative play! :)

Juh...head exploded...everything is aweshens!

Criticisms... the only thing I could say is that although the music does sound great... it doesn't sound very Half-Lifeish, especially "Topside".

criticsm:
well the glock doesn't look so good ingame. I don't know if it is the angle or the texture.

EDIT:

ok, i have searched for a equal to your glock model...

glock_ingame.jpg

14061a.jpg

and for me the second one looks a little bit better...i don't know why..

Hmm, they appear to have modelled both the MP5 and the M4 for use in the game. I wonder which one we'll get to use.

EDIT: I love the faintly luminous houndeyes. (If that fluoroscent blue paint actually is luminous.)

Narvi, you'll be able to use whichever you choose. WE will have a cvar to choose between the two. So it's all down to preference.

Oh and I love how HL2.net are using one of my old We've Got Hostile shots =/

With the exception of the slightly-too-big-and-boxy-glock this looks amazing. I can't wait!

Narvi, you'll be able to use whichever you choose. WE will have a cvar to choose between the two. So it's all down to preference.

Oh and I love how HL2.net are using one of my old We've Got Hostile shots =/

Cool, man. Is the houndeye luminous, too?

Wow. Just WOW! Best looking mod by far as well as the most anticipated in my book. I hope Valve hires them or they somehow work out a deal to sell it via Steam. It'd be a shame for this hard work not to be compensated. Bravo guys! Keep up the fantastic work.

I think the Glock looks a bit weird because of the hands, and the position on the grip.

The lighting in that scene makes the Glock look like a block.

and for me the second one looks a little bit better...i don't know why..
The 1st image is too dark so you loose all the details and are left with what looks basically like a black cube. Not so in the second.

Certainly the mode I most crave but.

Back