Black Mesa: Vaporware

The download mirrors are so bogged down I haven't been able to install it. Hopefully things will clear up by tomorrow.

Torrent is only getting 1 kBps. This is going to take a while.

Try using these trackers if you aren't already, the first one was fastest for me.

udp://tracker.openbittorrent.com:80
udp://tracker.pu blicbt.com:80

Holy shit... 30,000+ peers

bms_trackerstats.PNG

Holy **** I'm pretty sure I've never seen this kind of traffic on a BitTorrent download before.

36,215 seeders; 215,928 peers

How are you working that out? Adding up the seeds and peers for each tracker? That's misleading, 1 person might be a peer on more than 1 tracker... unless you've got a tracker I don't know about...

I'm using all these trackers (I don't really know what a tracker does):
udp://tracker.ccc.de:80
udp://tracker.istole.it:80
udp://tracker.openbittorrent.com:80
udp://tracker.publicbt.com:80
http://www.gameupdates.org/announce.php

I don't know why one is a http address when the others aren't

μTorrent is telling me:
Seeds: 15 of 75 connected (15,763 in swarm)
Peers: 15 of 1888 (41,449 in swarm)

I'm guessing those are big numbers. I don't really use torrents much/at all in case you hadn't guessed : P

Installing now. Have been waiting for this mod for a long time.

How are you working that out? Adding up the seeds and peers for each tracker? That's misleading, 1 person might be a peer on more than 1 tracker... unless you've got a tracker I don't know about...
Good point. Disregard my poorly conceived statistic ><

The attention to detail is great. I'm liking it so far. The only thing I'm not too fond of is the music. I'll probably replace it with the original music eventually.

I've only gotten to the test chamber but I only have positive reflections on it so far. Lots of original color dialog and quite surprised by the quality of the voice acting.

Yeah, the "Blast Pit" music is terrible... On your way back to burn the thing just turn your music volume off or else it may ruin it for you. It is like music from a commercial for some really shitty Vin Diesel/Jason Statham movie.

Besides the music (which is actually noticeably cool in some areas) the mod is really well put together. There are a few points where it seems like it could use some TLC but nothing that takes away from the experience as a whole. I got really frustrated at the remake of the classic part where you have to jump from suspended box to suspended box... I think they made that a bit too difficult.
The hit-boxes feel odd. Headshots don't seem to do anything 50% of the time and this is frustrating when they surround you with marines. I remember the old days though where hit-boxes were never just right so it does feel a bit normal.. I've just been playing too much CS:GO I guess
The bullsquids are freakin scary in this game. One shot can easily leave at very little health. This adds to the anxiety and is quite challenging but I feel like they could be balanced a little better. (adding a range spread/damage reduction would help I think)

EDIT: This biggest thing I would change about this mod would be to add the HL2 chrosshair! The inconsistent ones make the game feel unfinished.

I like the attention to detail, especially for the anti-mass spectrometer

Is anyone else getting a big white line going through their screen during the game? If you know how to fix it please lemme know. It's really distracting.

2012091600001.jpg

Yeah.. I'm about to die...

EDIT: Now I hope all of the devs at Valve are playing this right now and getting amped up to start working on...

You can cheese the end by climbing down the ladder and hiding under an overhang. The enemies don't seem to ever attack the scientist opening the portal. The QA work on this was not so strong.

2012091600001.jpg

Yeah.. I'm about to die...

EDIT: Now I hope all of the devs at Valve are playing this right now and getting amped up to start working on...
I thought this bit was INSANE. I love the detail.

It seems the assassins have a new weapon, the lag generator, hur hur hur.
I didn't have any performance issues at all up until that part. I'm not sure if it was something in the level or their "predator" style cloak effect. And if it is that effect causing the lag, it doesn't make any sense, it's just a direct X 9 refraction effect.

As for the soundtrack is all over the place. I agree that song in the blast pit was terrible, but then thers an awesome song in teh Residue Processing level:

It seems the assassins have a new weapon, the lag generator, hur hur hur.
I didn't have any performance issues at all up until that part. I'm not sure if it was something in the level or their "predator" style cloak effect. And if it is that effect causing the lag, it doesn't make any sense, it's just a direct X 9 refraction effect.
My sexy assassin battle was not hindered by such problems.

I love all the hate in here. Seriously guys? It's free. Quit complaining.

I'm a big Half-Life fan, too, but if you're worried about someone muddling up the original vision of the game, there are a ton of mods out there by 12 year olds that are significantly worse. Or you can go look at the Alyx models in Cinematic Mod.

I really don't understand why everyone's trashing the mod. I've played through most of it and have quite enjoyed it thus far. The music is well made, but seems out of place almost everywhere. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's horrible, but their composer could have used better direction. The voice acting isn't the best, but it's certainly not the worst. Resident Evil's voice acting is the pinnacle of terrible voice acting, yet the game is still great, if not one of the best. The mapping team did an excellent job recreating Black Mesa, and they deserve points for that, not to mention the models and textures are also great looking. Calling the mod a mess or horrible is childish, in my opinion.

I'm not trying to be a dick or anything like that, but if you can do it better, I'd like to see you do it.

And now, I'm going to prepare for immense down-votes.

Interesting. I respect your opinion, but I must disagree. I will, however, give you some credit on your beautifully composed retort.

I think aspie memetards said it best: "umad?"

Seriously though, give me one reason your hate is justified and I'll shut up. As far as I can tell, it's hilarious everyone's mad.

Interesting. I respect your opinion, but I must disagree. I will, however, give you some credit on your beautifully composed retort.

Seriously though, give me one reason your hate is justified and I'll shut up. As far as I can tell, it's hilarious everyone's mad.

It's great that you think it's hilarious that everyone's mad. The reason your post warranted a snappy two word italicised comeback is that you'd said two really dumb things.
Number one is "it's free, don't complain" which is a classically bullshit defense - costing $0 dollars doesn't excuse anything from criticism, unless that criticism is "I paid $X for this product and it does not fulfill the expectations that I have for a product costing $X".
Number two is "I'd like to see you do better" which again attempts to excuse all criticism of a product on the grounds that the one making the criticism could not accomplish or produce the product.

secret post-script number three is that you used the phrase "aspie memetards"

You're so bad I had to hit "Like" on one of Vegeta's posts.

It's great that you think it's hilarious that everyone's mad. The reason your post warranted a snappy two word italicised comeback is that you'd said two really dumb things.
Number one is "it's free, don't complain" which is a classically bullshit defense - costing $0 dollars doesn't excuse anything from criticism, unless that criticism is "I paid $X for this product and it does not fulfill the expectations that I have for a product costing $X".
Number two is "I'd like to see you do better" which again attempts to excuse all criticism of a product on the grounds that the one making the criticism could not accomplish or produce the product.

secret post-script number three is that you used the phrase "aspie memetards"
Aaaaaannnndddd..... no one has given any reasons as to why they dislike it yet.

It may be a bullshit cop-out to say that it's free so you shouldn't whine about it, but it's true. I see no criticism. I see whining.

It may be a bullshit cop-out to say that it's free so you shouldn't whine about it, but it's true. I see no criticism. I see whining.
Did you read the news posts about Black Mesa's release, and the VT.net review? Many people who have posted here voiced their opinions in those threads.

kineaesth already explained my post, but I have to add that my post had nothing to do with my feelings on Black Mesa.

I haven't even played it.

You're not even making arguments so there's nothing to prove wrong. You're just acting like an idiot. It was nicer in here when you were just lurking.

I'm a big Half-Life fan, too, but if you're worried about someone muddling up the original vision of the game, there are a ton of mods out there by 12 year olds that are significantly worse. Or you can go look at the Alyx models in Cinematic Mod.

I really don't understand why everyone's trashing the mod. I've played through most of it and have quite enjoyed it thus far. The music is well made, but seems out of place almost everywhere. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's horrible, but their composer could have used better direction. The voice acting isn't the best, but it's certainly not the worst. Resident Evil's voice acting is the pinnacle of terrible voice acting, yet the game is still great, if not one of the best. The mapping team did an excellent job recreating Black Mesa, and they deserve points for that, not to mention the models and textures are also great looking. Calling the mod a mess or horrible is childish, in my opinion.
I made a fair amount of points. After having two sentences of my post quoted, everyone forgot about the part in the middle of my post where I actually discuss my thoughts on the mod.

Did you read the news posts about Black Mesa's release, and the VT.net review? Many people who have posted here voiced their opinions in those threads.
I watched the review, and it seemed conflicted with itself. The reviewer spent the majority of the time absolutely destroying the mod on it's issues he had with it, yet at the end, gave it a fairly mediocre rating (significantly higher than I thought it would have been). I didn't read any of the news posts on the forums, and I saw the Black Mesa review minutes after it came out, so the amount of "**** YOU VALVETIME, VALVETIME YOU GUYS SUCK, THIS SITE BLOWS, THIS KID IS RETARDED" comments being spewed out of angry nerd keyboards across the internet made it hard to read legitimate comments from people with an IQ above 8.

I figured posting my thoughts in here was acceptable because it pertains to the mod itself.

I made a fair amount of points. After having two sentences of my post quoted, everyone forgot about the part in the middle of my post where I actually discuss my thoughts on the mod.
Not exactly. I responded to two parts of your post that were really dumb things to say. I was not responding to your discussion of the mod. (I feel like I already said this)

You somehow interpreted this as a massive attack on your entire post, and got all bent out of shape. Then everyone proceeded to pounce on you for continuing to do stupid things.

Nobody here is attacking the fact that you're expressing your opinion. It's how you went about it, and how you reacted to our reactions.

Not exactly. I responded to two parts of your post that were really dumb things to say. I was not responding to your discussion of the mod. (I feel like I already said this)

You somehow interpreted this as a massive attack on your entire post, and got all bent out of shape. Then everyone proceeded to pounce on you for continuing to do stupid things.

Nobody here is attacking the fact that you're expressing your opinion. It's how you went about it, and how you reacted to our reactions.
Fair.

My bad.

Is it too late to apologize for going full retard?

Back