Boosting Modem Speeds

Mad Squid

Reaction score
Ok, Im using one of thoughs internet dongles to connect which makes downloading
... well to say slow is an understatment, (ie im dl HL_Episode 2 now at a constantly
changing 5KB/S - 45KB/S average of 7KB/S :rolleyes: ),
On dl else where its not so bad as i can use a dl manager but with steam its a pain
(this not a complaint just explaning!) is there any thing I can do to speed things up some.

Thanks in Advance

take your visa card and call your internet provider and then tell them you'd like to upgrade your current internet package to a faster one.

Ill take that as a - I don't know - then.

When im in a position to do so, I will, but at the moment that's not an option

Tell us useful information. What type of Internet service do you have? Does your modem connect to your computer via USB or Ethernet, or do you have a router in-between?

3g dongle via usb that connects direct to the internet kinda like a mildly faster dial-up

Its the E160G USB Modem

Not sure if this is useful, but ill put it just in case,

Frequency Bands HSDPA/UMTS 2100MHz/GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900MHz

This fairly much all the Info I have, that came with it (have googled but cant find much else)

not much you can do to help that except upgrade your internet connection.

I don't miss the modem days. I remember each song (through Napster!) taking about an hour to finish.

3g dongle via usb that connects direct to the internet kinda like a mildly faster dial-up

Its the E160G USB Modem

Not sure if this is useful, but ill put it just in case,

Frequency Bands HSDPA/UMTS 2100MHz/GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900MHz

This fairly much all the Info I have, that came with it (have googled but cant find much else)

So you're using 3G and not a wired connection? That pretty much explains your problem. It uses the same tech as mobile phone Internet so data speeds are dependant on signal strength. Why exactly did you get this over some cheap ADSL package which would have been better value for money? The only good point in 3G Internet would be if you're on the move a lot.

Sanada So you're using 3G and not a wired connection? That pretty much explains your problem. It uses the same tech as mobile phone Internet so data speeds are dependant on signal strength. Why exactly did you get this over some cheap ADSL package which would have been better value for money? The only good point in 3G Internet would be if you're on the move a lot.

Well, Its a bit of a stop gap option until i can get some thing better because its so cheap
at only ?10 - ?15 a month and no contract.
I know i can get thoughts Antennas that will boost the signal but dont want to
spend money on some thing I will not use after the new year.

Ennui

I don't miss the modem days. I remember each song (through Napster!) taking about an hour to finish.
Its a bit faster than that but not much :rolleyes:

lol im going to have to bring this forward, just watching my dl speed and it dropped below 1KB/s

Thanks anyway :cheers:
:LOL:

I remember I used this other service (can't recall name, but it had like a blue satellite as its icon) and that only took like 22 mins on average :cheese:

OP: Can't do much except just take it. You're using mobile phone internet as your computer internet, which is just bad news bears.

I remember I used this other service (can't recall name, but it had like a blue satellite as its icon) and that only took like 22 mins on average :cheese:

Not sure but think it was 'Big Blue' or 'Blue Yonder' (Same thing I think)

I got one of these cards free with my new laptop a few years ago, it said "faster than dial up" on the box.

I got 57k.

Thats barely faster. 7 kb/s is about exactly what you should be getting with that.

I got one of these cards free with my new laptop a few years ago, it said "faster than dial up" on the box.

I got 57k.

Unless you're selling mobile phones, it's not exactly a compliment to say you're faster than 56k now. It's the freakin' standard!

Speaking of which, I'm dying for some Fios D:

Unless you're selling mobile phones, it's not exactly a compliment to say you're faster than 56k now. It's the freakin' standard!

Speaking of which, I'm dying for some Fios D:

Yeah i know, but i got it for free. I don't think it's 3g, it was literally one of the first mobile web pcmcia cards.

Back