Borderlands 2

FrostedxB

Tank
Reaction score
http://www.techspot.com/news/44944-...n-2012-with-new-characters-and-equipment.html

Eloquently named "Borderlands 2," the new entry will return to the rustic planet of Pandora and will have players traversing uncharted lands to discover new "mysteries."

Details are limited at the moment, but Gearbox promises to deliver an "ambitiously crafted story" that unfolds alongside new characters, skills, environments, enemies, weapons and equipment.

Gamestop is taking pre-orders already and put up a release date of September 1, 2012

http://www.gamestop.com/collection/...paign=borderlands2_exclusive&cid=soc_10000001

EDIT: Another Source
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-08-02-borderlands-2-confirmed-source

Borderlands 2 is in development at Gearbox Software, Eurogamer understands.

We've heard an announcement from publisher 2K Games will be made soon.

A source close to the game told Eurogamer the Gearbox-developed shooter will release on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 next year.

TAKE MY MONEY AND BABIES.

Here's a game we can't really tell you anything about, click here to pre-order.

^Seriously. Let's hope the ending is a tad better this time around.

I'll buy it if it has armor-based loot and better skill trees.

I don't even remember the ending of Borderlands.:(

And I played it for 70+ hours.

Borderlands was pretty fun, but my god the quest design was so bad, worst I have seen in years (I dont play MMOs, which have similar design).

I put this down as a big maybe. Add better quest design and a better plot, and it could be good.

As a singleplayer experience Borderlands is SHIT, but with a friend it becomes awesome! Yes its a total grind-fest but there is something about the fighting together as a team, the search for even more awesome weapons, the feeling of being baddass, and the simple goal to KILL SHIT makes it loads of fun.

I hope they make some changes to the story, quest, and combat. For one I'd like to see a less confusing weapon system. I do like the nearly endless variety of weapons but the system they had made it difficult to find out if you were trading in for a weapon that was actually more effective (the color coding system was nearly useless). The game really is a run and gun so I'd like a few more options for maneuverability (dives and doges). Borderlands also had a awesome sense of humor but we saw way to little of it because the story was spread so thin.

I wonder if they will keep the classes or come up with whole new ones. Any new classes will probably fill the same roles as the originals but I REALLY like playing the Siren. If you play her right she's the best for close range assault.

The first one was decently fun when playing with a friend, and just a boredom deference when played singleplayer. It had a solid core gameplay, but that was pretty much it. Like others have said, to improve on it they should have a more in depth skill tree for everyone, a more involved plot, and more involved missions.

I know someone working on this game so i'm hoping those changes are being done, because I'd like to see it do well.

They need to fix the big problems of the first game for me to have any interest. I remember getting into multiplayer was a huge pain, I also remember the quests and story made it feel like a watered down, empty MMO. The gameplay itself was good but it had poor application. They also need some character customization.

I don't even remember the ending of Borderlands.:(

And I played it for 70+ hours.

In the vault there was a giant alien that was easy to kill. Once you killed it, it dropped a few pieces of totally worthless and uninteresting loot, the end. It was ****ing stupid.

The first one was decently fun when playing with a friend, and just a boredom deference when played singleplayer. It had a solid core gameplay, but that was pretty much it. Like others have said, to improve on it they should have a more in depth skill tree for everyone, a more involved plot, and more involved missions.

I know someone working on this game so i'm hoping those changes are being done, because I'd like to see it do well.

If you know someone maybe you should take the best ideas we have and send them to that person. ;)

Well, that explains why they stopped doing the DLC.

Hopefully the sequel doesn't repeat the glaring issues of the first one.

Make that two people.

Needless to say, we do pay attention to feedback the community gives about the game.

Needless to say, we do pay attention to feedback the community gives about the game.

It saddens me to make this joke, but I just have to.

Tell that to the fans of Brothers In Arms!

Also, cool, I wasn't sure if you were actually working on this game since I know they've got a few projects going at once. Though I guess you artists get moved around from project to project a lot.

I played Borderlands for roughly 26 hrs...mostly in my week long vacation I had. It was a lot of fun and since I got it for like $40 at the time I felt like I got my moneys worth. This time around I'll probably wait it out again for a price drop and it'll be just as much fun if they don't change too much and make the game less glitchy plus have a better sign in method

Make that two people.

You're an artist with Gear Box?! That's pretty awesome! Did you work on the original? If so, what did you do?

Edit: I'd like to see the weapon system redone in a way that keeps the variety but makes the differences more apparent and easier to understand. There were many times that I traded in a good weapon for one that had some better stats or elemental bonus (what was the difference between 1X flame and 2x flame... that was never made very clear) only to have the new gun not be nearly as effective as I thought it would. The weapons are such a big and fun part of Borderlands that trying out new weapons should be exciting and fun.

I'm hesitant to suggest removing the percentage and numbers for stats (Replacing them with stars would be too crude a measurement) But maybe ad some other indicators. Maybe some icons that denotate the range that you can accurately shoot at or shows the DPS number. Maybe you could take the stats of a gun and distil a name or designation from them. This would be similar to how the battle-rifles were technically machineguns but had small mags and semi-auto fire. An SMG that was actuate with a scope and high damage could be given the designation of "tactical" and one with a high rate of fire, a big mag, and low accuracy could be called a "ripper." These wouldn't have to be part of the names of the gun (though they could). They could could have their own area in the gun stat window and list a few "aspects" so that a player could more easily decide if that gun will work for him.

Make that two people.

I'll repeat it for emphasis then: Pretty please give the PC version some TLC this time around.

I'm sure the game is too far along already to make any sweeping changes, but rather than finding random drops of pre-configured weapons, I found myself wishing I could assemble and disassemble parts to form my own gun. I think I'd prefer that sort of mechanic than the way it is now, since it'd give a personality to my character that I could control. I think, in general, the game would benefit from actual customization, especially in the MP component. You could scrounge around in MP trying to find good parts for a weapon that you take into MP with your friends, and it would add a lot of replay value since you'd want multiple customized guns to compliment your friends'.

The same could be done with armors, abilities, etc. Would give loot a whole new poignancy.

Get rid of Gamespy, kthx.

I'm sure the game is too far along already to make any sweeping changes, but rather than finding random drops of pre-configured weapons, I found myself wishing I could assemble and disassemble parts to form my own gun. I think I'd prefer that sort of mechanic than the way it is now, since it'd give a personality to my character that I could control. I think, in general, the game would benefit from actual customization, especially in the MP component. You could scrounge around in MP trying to find good parts for a weapon that you take into MP with your friends, and it would add a lot of replay value since you'd want multiple customized guns to compliment your friends'.

The same could be done with armors, abilities, etc. Would give loot a whole new poignancy.

I am quite sure that this was planned for the original Borderlands, but eventually dropped. I can't for the life of me remember why though.

- No Gamespy
- Armor items
- Customisable guns; part drops instead of weapon drops
- More story
- Missions and objectives that aren't the equivalent of first-tier MMO quests
- Better skill trees

And I will buy the shit out of BL2.

Also, anyone else notice how the robots look like Claptraps, and how the giant satellite thing is a Hyperion ship?

I remember spending a lot of time assuming Borderlands skill trees would get better and I would unlock more than one skill... it never happened. I was a soldier guy thing and I was throwing down the same crappy turret thing with a few bonuses from start to finish.

The only exciting classes are the siren and sometimes the berserker, in my opinion. At least they are the only class that I felt evolved over time. I don't know why so few people played as the siren, easily the most unique and fun class. You could do so much elemental damage when phasing around baddies.

The soldier maybe wasnt the most original character, but I liked his turret. Really useful for drawing fire off of you, and in later levels could absolutely destroy difficult enemies.

Roland and Lilith were the only truly useful classes. Brick was a damage tank who couldn't tank by the time the game was difficult enough to require it, and Mordecai was a sniper in a game without class-weapon restrictions.

I am quite sure that this was planned for the original Borderlands, but eventually dropped. I can't for the life of me remember why though.

It was still possible for players to build their own weapons but when assualt rifles with damage rates of 3000x4 and fire rates of 20.0 started getting made they began banning players who tried creating them/using them online.

Bit of info has leaked out of the Game Informers article.

http://www.vg247.com/2011/08/06/borderlands-2-to-have-improved-ai-dynamic-missions-new-characters/

Salient points:

- Coop still 4-player.

- All new characters, old classes returning as NPCs.

- First class shown is Salvador, "a Gunzerker with the ability to use any two weapons at once."

- Some story missions will be dynamic and shape the future of your character depending on outcome.

- All new weapons, which will be customizable in some way.

- More vehicles.

- Skills still using something similar to the 3-tree system.

- Better NPC AI.

I was hoping they'd called the sequel Borderworlds or something since the
ending showed other planets, if I remember correctly. And they could have also gone to other dimensions through that portal perhaps?

But I loved Borderlands one. Great fun in Co-op!

Things I want:

-No Gamespy
-Better PC Port (or just build it for the pc then port to consoles)
-A drop system (did get a bit annoying when everyone just ran around picking up everything)
-Better vehicle controls/handling
-Less brown (But I guess every game could do with that pretty much!)

Still, it's a long way off, so hopefully it'll be bigger and better than the first :)

ending showed other planets, if I remember correctly. And they could have also gone to other dimensions through that portal perhaps?

Things I want:

-No Gamespy
-Better PC Port (or just build it for the pc then port to consoles)
-A drop system (did get a bit annoying when everyone just ran around picking up everything)
-Better vehicle controls/handling
-Less brown (But I guess every game could do with that pretty much!)

Still, it's a long way off, so hopefully it'll be bigger and better than the first :)

Borderworlds is the name of the rumored Borderland MMO/Open world game that Gearbox trademarked back in 2007. Nothing has come of it yet.

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/po...has-plans-for-borderworlds-pc-dlc-on-the-way/ That's all I can find atm :/

Yeah, they had a lot of options that didn't go straight for the boring numbered sequel. I would have liked to see the names sequence as Borderlands -> Borderwars -> Borderworlds, with Worlds being the MMO.

Technically the ending showed other moons, as Pandora is actually the moon of a large (unnamed in the story, I think) gas giant. But those moons are habitable, so it's pretty much the same thing :p

It's funny, I actually enjoyed Borderlands far more in Single Player.

Then again I'm always :foreveraloneface:

Get rid of Gamespy, kthx.

Oh god I'm defending Gamespy. Gamespy works....apart from account issues, auth issues and yeah okay it sucks. The problem with Borderlands was player hosting and Gearbox in their infinite wisdom decided they didn't have to do anything with the PC version. Why should they? The consoles have networking APIs all built in that work and can punch through NAT.

kdcQY.jpg

Looks like the weapons may have some variation to see what parts have what effects. :eek:

Personally I love Borderlands and consider it up there with the all time greats. The DLC packs were worth it as well. The only things I hated were:
  • General Protection Fault errors. GB has a 100+ thread with users complaining for years that their games crash (not just BL) with this error.
  • The weapon comparison thing needs to be improved.
  • Matchmaking with co-op needs to be slightly improved.

Some of my best memories in gaming was playing with CyberPitz and watching him punch a midget so hard it exploded. I mean as the Brick he towered over the little guy with this tiny pin head and continued to just punch through a group of axe wielding midgets while have this maniac laughter. I dare you to find that in any other game.

Some uninteresting teaser where a Dwarf with a fohawk and a Dead Kennedy's pin shoots some aliens and robots in slow motion.

Back