Bullsquid Grunt Hybrid

blackiris

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I'm a comic/concept artist, and my recent work has been centered around the Half-Life universe. I accidentally posted this thread in the HL Mythology section, I think it's suppose to be here though, so sorry about that guys. I hope all the fellow HL fans out there can appreciate this.

Half-LifeHybrids-BullSquidGruntcomm.jpg

That's right everyone, a Bullsquid/Alien Grunt hybrid, which I like to call, the Bullsquid Grunt. The creature was genetically created by the Xen overlords them selves, and is situated along with a small army of its own, on a hidden militaristic location within the border world of Xen. Besides its incredible strength, it has the ability to Spit acid from it's mouth, and also is able to shoot small hornet creatures from it's right hand using the 'Hornet Gun'. Although this creature had the best of both species merged into one, this small army of brutish fiends were however wiped out by the Combine.

Merry Christmas everyone,
-C.J.Barton

Lol, this looks like the original Earthworm Jim

Cool as ****. Make more.
Well, this one doesn't quite have anything to do with Half-Life (I'll post more of those later on this month), but this is just another piece of art I did up for my end of year Folio. Hope you all like it :).

SpecimenR4.jpg

The bullsquid grunt reminds me of the sligs from Abe's Oddworld / Odyssey worlds, has a similar look to it. Lets hope bullsquids return some day, good work.

Cool style, I like it.

Keep working at it.

Nice. What package do you use? Just Photoshop or do you use Painter as well? Also do you hand draw and scan or Wacom straight away?

Or like an alien grunt...

Have you played Half-Life?

Great picture, OP.

I'm planning on submitting some more work to this thread, so if an administrator reads this would it be possible to rename the thread?

Really epic pic. Do you work as a comics maker?

I'm glad to hear you like it. And no, unfortunately I don't make comics at DC or Marvel and places like that, only in my spare time. Hopefully one day I'll land myself a job in the business though, after all, its where my passions lye :). Just finished school so I'm on the look out.

The bullsquid grunt reminds me of the sligs from Abe's Oddworld / Odyssey worlds, has a similar look to it. Lets hope bullsquids return some day, good work.

I thought that too as I was drawing it. But I think this looks substantially better then an Alien Grunt with a BullSquid body.

Nice. What package do you use? Just Photoshop or do you use Painter as well? Also do you hand draw and scan or Wacom straight away?

I draw the picture by hand first, ink it, then scan it into Photoshop at a high resolution for coloring. I do at times use Corel Painter if I'm working on a picture that I want to have a more 'concept art' type feel rather then 'graphic novel.'

Thanks for all the compliments guys, its great to receive all your feedback. I'm a bit busy over Christmas, but since I've had such a response I'll see about doing up another picture as soon as I have some spare time. My theme is going to be HL Hybrids. Any ideas? :p.

Honestly I'm not really digging the combo. It doesn't seem like a creature with arms would benefit from having tentacle face the same way a true bullsquid would. It's just a little too far outside the suspension of disbelief for me.

On the plus side tho I like your style alot it's very polished and you seem to have good use of color. Keep at it and I have little doubt you'll get to where you want to be before too long.

this is realli good. it reminds me of a tyranid genestealer from warhammer 40K.

Excellent stuff. Definitely draw more HL-related stuff and post it, you're fantastic.

Really nice image. On the other hand you seem to have used the Black Mesa Mod bullsquid as your reference. I'm not sure why, but that slightly annoys me.

Back