buying ati and hl2

D

droper

I read the specs for the ati cards and as far as i have seen you will miss nothing with a radeon 9500 or 9600. 9500,9600,9700,9800 are all just the same thing progressively tweaked for performance, thats all. The only reason they used the 9800 in e3 that i can tell was because it is the fastest not because it shows more effects or details.

Next year the new generation of cards will be out in the new pci express format which is the next big leap for pcs and will eliminate agp slots.

I don't think getting a nvidia card is a good idea they are turning thier cards into massive noisy cows trying to do whatever they can to stay head to head with ati's superiour achitecture. Nvidia will do better i hope on the new pci express platform.

for more on ati cards go to:
www.beyond3d.com(good technological comprison)

ATI is like AMD.. they can do best with less

Originally posted by EVIL
ATI is like AMD.. they can do best with less

That's why you gotta love them! :thumbs:
Ever seen how the 9600PRO looks? It's so cute! :cheese:
And what an overklocker! They got the core in a Sapphire Atlantis 9600PRO Fireblade Edition up to 500 and 350 on the memory, with original cooling. That's impressing.

Originally posted by droper
Next year the new generation of cards will be out in the new pci express format which is the next big leap for pcs and will eliminate agp slots.

whats this you're talking about?

Oh yeah, and ati and nVidia cards are priced withen 10 dollars of each other, soemthimes with the nvidia card being cheaper. Yess in the current gerneration they to better, but not for less. and this is the first line of cards they've made that are better than nVidia's....

ATI R420: Two Times Faster Than The RADEON 9800 PRO

These are the things that just kill me. HL2 is just a few months away and the R420 won't be released 'till late 2003 or early 2004. Nvidia also plans to release a card two times fast than their 5900 Ultra. Anyway, I want to upgrade before the release of HL2 to either a 9800 Pro or 5900 128MB, but it just kills me that in a few months my new card will be obsolete.
banghead.gif
I know I could just hold off and wait for the R420 and just play HL2 using my 4200, but I want my first experience with HL2 to be played with details maxxxed out (DX9 details). And there's no way I'm gonna buy 9800 and an R420.

obsolete? hardly. I have a GeForce 3 card, and i run all of todays games fine, even though ther ehave been 2 generations of cards since. My friend runs most of todays games fine on his Gf2 GTS, and he runs many of them with his old Rage card (*cuckle*)

Yea, I know a GeForce 3 is still good for todays games, but I don't really care much for todays games. And if a card will be two times faster than the currently fastest card out now, to me that's next gen sh!t. IMO, R420 compared to a GF3, the GF3 will be obsolete.

True, but you said you wer ething about buying an fx5900 or a 9800, and then you said they owuld be obsolete. you're wrong there.

to me, running a game isn't enough. I want 6x AA and 16x AF at 1600x1200 and 60fps

I know what you're talking about jefinabox.

Wait...what am I saying?
Most of my life has been spent surfing the web on a 500MHz celeron with integrated graphics. I recently "upgraded" to the GeForce2 MX 3D-decelerator. I think the 3dmark 2001 score went down...

I have a geforce2 mx/mx 400 64mb, Runs HL and all mods at 1024x768 with 99 FPS

mine's a GeForce2 mx200 with 32mb of ram. I have never gotten over 60 fps. Good news though, I just ordered a 2.53GHz P4 with Radeon 9700 Pro. These older parts get cheap fast.

Originally posted by jefinabox
to me, running a game isn't enough. I want 6x AA and 16x AF at 1600x1200 and 60fps

WTF 1600x1200? thats crap IMO.. 1024 x 768 is the best. going that high is crap.

W0rd bud. I hate the loozers that bragg about running games @ 1600 x 1200. it suxx when you have a low DPI mouse like the logitechs, the razer boomslang 2000DPI that I 0wn doesnt have a problem with it (Oo) but i still prefere 1024 x 768 because it is faster and preciser.

Why not buy the R360 or RV360? (right numbers?)
They are bound to be out before HL2.

i would seriously not trust what that website says. they have a lot of speculative bs and rumors that they fabricate into "legitimate" stories.

two times as fast? please. it'll take at least two or three years for that kind of speed to happen. if they did somehow manage to have it out within the next year, the process to make it would probably be so expensive that the card would be upwards of $500, and no average gamer can afford that (i only got my radeon 9700 pro after saving up for a year).

also, about the 1600x1200 thing... that's what i would prefer if i could have something higher than a 72hz refresh rate, which still makes me nauseated with its spazzy flickering. at 1024x768, 6xfsaa does not get rid of the jaggies. at 1600x1200 4xfsaa, they're gone, and i can more easily focus on the shapes and designs of the environment rather than the obnoxious pointy edges. it's an immersion thing more than anything. maybe i'm just picky :\

I totaly agree with SidewinderX143
1024x768 4 life
would it significantly improve the preformance of my computer to upgrade to 512MB, or maybe 768MB, of DDRRAM from 256?:sniper:

My monitor doesn't go higher than 1024x768, and I'm not planning on buying a new one.

I dunno: from what I read, I'm thinking less and less about getting a Radeon 9800. I might save money and go for a more value oriented card for HL2, because even those seem to be in the range that will be just fine. With the money I save, I can afford to upgrade to a PCIExpress based card six or eight months later: the Loki maybe. Of course, by then I'll also be wanting to grab a new Intel chipset, so that's a new mobo and processor right there: an outlay of like 1000$ more at the least, minus whatever I can sell my old system for.

I wish Valve would release some benchmarks/playtest comparisons so we know what level of power can get us what level of "prettiness"

MF-BoltressHL2: we'd have to know a little more about your system to know where a bottleneck might be, but upgrading to 512MB is usually a good bet, especially if you can buy all new memory that's faster and all the same speed (remember, your memory can only go as fast as your SLOWEST DIMM)

Memory is usually a major bottleneck in most people's systems, especially if it's old and slow, or if games demand more than you have (some have 512 REQUIRED already)

For all those who like playing at 1024x768.

I really hope you dont have geforces :)

Buy a ATI and max out the FSAA and FA, you will never see anything like it on a geforce.

Originally posted by Majestic XII
For all those who like playing at 1024x768.

I really hope you dont have geforces :)

Buy a ATI and max out the FSAA and FA, you will never see anything like it on a geforce.

That made me so much happier :bounce:
I want my money so I can buy a focking ATI card :p
But wich one to buy...hmm. I really need more info on the R360 and RV360. Does anyone have some info/rumors on the specs?

I doubt we'll see the 360 in large enough volumes when HL2 comes out for it to be affordable. ATI prices their new cards at around 500$ when they first come out.

Back