Calif. court upholds in-state tuition for illegal immigrants

leib10

Tank
Reaction score
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40201035/ns/us_news-life

SAN FRANCISCO — The California Supreme Court weighed in Monday on the politically charged immigration fray when it ruled that illegal immigrants are entitled to the same tuition breaks offered to in-state high school students to attend public colleges and universities.

While the ruling applies only to California, the case was closely watched nationally because nine other states, including New York and Texas, have similar laws.

Republican congressmen Lamar S. Smith of Texas and Steve King of Iowa filed a so-called friends of the court brief urging that illegal immigrants be denied the reduced rate.

The lawsuit considered by the court was part of a broader legal assault led by immigration legal scholar Kris Kobach, who has filed numerous cases across the country seeking to restrict the rights of illegal immigrants.

He represented a group of U.S. students who filed the lawsuit seeking to invalidate the California law.

Vote: Should illegal immigrants be eligible for in-state tuition rates?

Kobach did not return a phone call seeking comment about the ruling in California.

advertisement | ad info
Advertisement | ad info
Advertisement | ad info
.A unanimous state Supreme Court, led by politically conservative Justice Ming Chin, said the California provision was constitutional because U.S. residents also had access to the reduced rates.

The California Legislature passed the controversial measure in 2001 that allowed any student, regardless of immigration status, who attended a California high school for at least three years and graduated to qualify for in-state tuition at the state's colleges and universities. In-state tuition saves each state college student about $11,000 a year and each University of California student about $23,000 a year.

More U.S. news Sheriff: 3 missing may have been killed
Updated 56 minutes ago 11/16/2010 1:48:49 AM +00:00 A sheriff says it's possible that three people missing in central Ohio have been killed, a day after a 13-year-old girl who disappeared along with them was found bound and gagged in a man's home nearby. Full story

.GOP rallies new members, preps for tax-cut debate
'Boobies' bracelet ban tested in lawsuit
‘Boobies’ charity wrestles with success
Ex-trooper pleads guilty in 1965 civil rights killing
..A state appellate court ruled in 2008 the law was unconstitutional after a group of out-of-state students who are U.S. citizens filed a lawsuit. The suit alleged the measure violated federal prohibitions barring illegal immigrants from receiving post-secondary benefits not available to U.S. citizens based on state residency.

However, the state Supreme Court noted the California law says nothing about state residency, a distinction that foes of the plan said shouldn't matter. The Sacramento-based Pacific Legal Foundation, which supports numerous political efforts, said the spirit of federal law was to deny tuition breaks to illegal immigrants.

"This court has received many briefs making policy arguments for and against section 68130.5's tuition exemption. We have received arguments that section 68130.5 affords deserving students educational opportunities that would not otherwise be available and, conversely, arguments that it flouts the will of Congress, wastes taxpayers' money, and encourages illegal immigration," the Supreme Court ruling noted.

"But this court does not make policy. Whether Congress's prohibition or the Legislature's exemption is good policy is not for us to say. Rather, we must decide the legal question of whether California's exemption violates Congress's prohibition or is otherwise invalid."

Foundation attorney Ralph Kasarda, who submitted a friend-of-the-court brief in the case, said California was not in sync with the federal mandate against showing favoritism to illegal immigrants.

"California's policy is also atrocious financial stewardship," he said.

Read the court ruling (PDF)

The state law also requires illegal immigrants who apply for the in-state tuition to swear they will attempt to become U.S. citizens. The applicants are still barred from receiving federal financial aid.

"Through their hard work and perseverance, these students have earned the opportunity to attend UC," said University of California president Mark G. Yudof. "Their accomplishments should not be disregarded or their futures jeopardized."

Kobach also failed to invalidate a similar law in Kansas. His lawsuit in Nebraska is pending.

advertisement | ad info
Advertisement | ad info
Advertisement | ad info
.The law professor was the chief drafter of Arizona's tough new laws against illegal immigrants, which is pending before a federal appeals court.

He was elected earlier this month to serve as secretary of state in Kansas.

Democratic leaders in Washington, D.C., are mulling whether to try to pass immigration reform measures before they lose control of the House of Representatives in January.

During his re-election campaign, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., promised to try to get a vote on the "DREAM Act," which would create a path to citizenship for youth living in the country illegally who attend college or join the military.

White House spokesman Luis Miranda said the administration welcomes any opportunity for Congress to take up the proposal. The legislation "is important to both our national security and our economy," Miranda said.

Meanwhile, retiring Republican Florida Rep. Lincoln Diaz-Balart is seeking a vote on proposed legislation giving states the option to allow illegal immigrant students to pay in-state tuition.

"Allowing undocumented students to attend primary and secondary schools but requiring that they pay out-of-state tuition for college creates an unfair financial burden," Diaz-Balart said.

Good job cutting and pasting everything on that page, including advertisements and irrelevant other news posts.

Anyways, what a stupid thing for people to take to court.

I thought state tuition was given because parents paid the taxes that contribute to said tuition. Then again, benefits for illegal immigrants already cost California 10 billion a year, what's a a few hundred more million to state that's already running on borrowed time and debt?

Isn't completing some form of higher education in the U.S. a pathway to legal citizenship now thanks to the DREAM act?

Isn't completing some form of higher education in the U.S. a pathway to legal citizenship now thanks to the DREAM act?

They mention it in the article bro

During his re-election campaign, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., promised to try to get a vote on the "DREAM Act," which would create a path to citizenship for youth living in the country illegally who attend college or join the military.

The DREAM Act hasn't even passed the Senate yet...

Because the absolute worst thing that could possibly happen is that those illegals get good educations. Who do they think they are? Actual people?

I dunno, seems pretty obvious to me that you at least have to be a citizen to reap government benefits. I mean I can't just go to Canada and get free health care because I want to... and I can't go to those various European countries that offer college educations to any citizens. Just seems like common sense that you'd have to be a citizen to get the benefits of being a citizen. Otherwise I'd just become a Canadian citizen - drop my health insurance - and live and work in the US reaping all the benefits (like warmer weather).

edit: By the way, good job copying the entire page. Next time why don't you just copy the HTML too.

But these people don't live in Mexico and hop over the border each day to reap the benefits of our educational system. The actually live in California and pay their taxes in California. Alot of people think these people get a free ride, they don't. They pay their taxes just as we all do.

I dunno, seems pretty obvious to me that you at least have to be a citizen to reap government benefits. I mean I can't just go to Canada and get free health care because I want to... and I can't go to those various European countries that offer college educations to any citizens. Just seems like common sense that you'd have to be a citizen to get the benefits of being a citizen. Otherwise I'd just become a Canadian citizen - drop my health insurance - and live and work in the US reaping all the benefits (like warmer weather).

The problem with your analogy is that you don't recognize the fact that the illegal immigrant students we're talking about here go through the entire education system here. Its not like they come up and go "discounted college please!" They actually live there, go through middle school and high school there, and thats why they qualify for the discounted price, because they're actual California students.

Can someone please explain to me why they are called "illegal" immigrants? As long as they are either a US citizen or have a visa/permission to be here then why call them illegal?

Can someone please explain to me why they are called "illegal" immigrants? As long as they are either a US citizen or have a visa/permission to be here then why call them illegal?

The ones that are illegal are the ones that have neither of those. Hence the name "illegal".

The ones that are illegal are the ones that have neither of those. Hence the name "illegal".

In that case why are they there, how are they not being deported and how are they legally obtaining these benefits?

America has the unique situation where its entire economy runs on illegal immigrants. It's also what they fuel the power plants with.

In that case why are they there, how are they not being deported and how are they legally obtaining these benefits?

When caught they are deported. How many people do you think we would need to hire to deport 20 million illegal immigrants all at once?

When caught they are deported. How many people do you think we would need to hire to deport 20 million illegal immigrants all at once?

Perhaps I didn't phrase my question correctly to begin with, but why would there need to be a law to prevent people from receiving benefits who wouldn't be able to receive the benefits to begin with? Essentially, why is this even ****ing important?

Perhaps I didn't phrase my question correctly to begin with, but why would there need to be a law to prevent people from receiving benefits who wouldn't be able to receive the benefits to begin with? Essentially, why is this even ****ing important?

Because immigration is a federal issue, education is a state issue. The reason this is an issue is because these people pay the same state and federal taxes that we all do.

Because immigration is a federal issue, education is a state issue. The reason this is an issue is because these people pay the same state and federal taxes that we all do.

I'm pretty sure that paying taxes requires some form of identification that requires citizenship, whether state or federal. How exactly are they not only moving into California, going through the entire education system and paying taxes with their jobs, but also attempting to go through higher education with state-sponsored benefits without anyone batting an eye?

Judging from your answer, I'd surmise that California openly supports illegal immigrants and willingly gives out this state-sponsored funding to them to aid in their education. Is that the case?

Most of these people either use stolen identities or forged ones. Employers don't generally risk their business by hiring know illegals. Once hired their taxes get withheld from their pay checks just as anyone elses are.

You're leaving a huge "BUT WHAT DOES THIS MEAN" to my question. Why does there have to be a law to forbid the funding of illegal immigrant's college education that (when they are discovered to be illegal aliens) they shouldn't be getting it anyway? How does that even make sense? Whether they're faking the system or not, how are they even eligible for state funding when their residency in this state is illegal anyway? If I had a buddy in California and I "rented" a spot on his floor to sleep, then would I also be eligible for this funding even though I actually lived in another state?

edit:
Not only that, but I really don't think they hold any claim over any taxes taken from their money when it's illegally obtained to begin with.

So the money they earn here doing the jobs most americans dont want to do doesn't actually belong to them? Who does it belong to?

And as far as establishing residency google would have taken you to this page:

http://hubpages.com/hub/state-residency

You will need an actual street address in your new state, and not a P.O. box or a Private Mail Box (PMB) address, which is often listed as only a street address. The US Postal Service can determine fraudulent residencies in this way and this can cost you at least a hefty fine.

This means you get your mail at this address. Believe it or not illegals do still get mail.

You might also be interested in this from the same link:

You may be interested in paying only lower, in-state college fees rather than out-of-state tuition. In this case, check with the college or university you want to attend and determine their specific requirements state residency. Some schools require proof you have lived in the community for two years prior to even applying to the college or university.

These schools don't just take your word for it, they ask you to prove it. By showing things like your electric bill, water bill, etc. Or in this case your high school records.

Finally, again, immigration is a federal issue, not a state issue. If an illegal alien lives in a state he is legally a resident of that state even if he is in the country illegally, atleast that's what I gather from the court decision on this.

Back