CISPA Is back, and with a vengence

Krynn72

The Freeman
Reaction score
It now allows the Government to give immunity to companies like AT&T for spying on customers (currently an illegal breach of federal wiretap laws) as long as they cooperate with the Government.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57581161-38/u.s-gives-big-secret-push-to-internet-surveillance/
The Wiretap Act limits the ability of Internet providers to eavesdrop on network traffic except when monitoring is a "necessary incident" to providing the service or it takes place with a user's "lawful consent." An industry representative told CNET the 2511 letters provided legal immunity to the providers by agreeing not to prosecute for criminal violations of the Wiretap Act.

It now allows your boss to demand you hand over your social media account passwords.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...asswords-blocked_n_3128507.html?ir=Technology
Bad news, Facebook users. U.S. employers may soon be able to require employees to fork over their social media passwords.

A last-minute amendment to the Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act -- known as CISPA -- banning such a practice was blocked by members of the U.S. House of Representatives, despite the passage of the broad cybersecurity bill overall.

Lobbists in support of CISPA are spending $38 to ever $1 the opponants spend, lots of it as donations to members of congress.
http://www.nationaljournal.com/tech...tspent-by-industry-lobbyists-38-to-1-20130422
According to data from the Sunlight Foundation, CISPA allies have spent $605 million on lobbying since 2011. The biggest spenders were the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, which blew $163 million, and AT&T, which spent $34 million. In all, 52 groups donated at least $100,000 each to members of Congress.

The biggest supporter of CISPA in congress' wife ran a security company who has a $10 billion contract riding on the passage of CISPA.
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...stands-to-benefit-greatly-cispa-passing.shtml
So it seems rather interesting to note that Rogers' wife, Kristi Clemens Rogers, was, until recently, the president and CEO of Aegis LLC a "security" defense contractor company, whom she helped to secure a $10 billion (with a b) contract with the State Department. The company describes itself as "a leading private security company, provides government and corporate clients with a full spectrum of intelligence-led, culturally-sensitive security solutions to operational and development challenges around the world."

Didn't this get thrown out yesterday or was that just a delay?

Lobbists in support of CISPA are spending $38 to ever $1 the opponants spend, lots of it as donations to members of congress.

It has always baffled me why the lobby system is even legal in the US. It's basically legalized bribery: I'll give you x amount of "donations" if you agree to support x law.

the hell whit that obssesion of getting the passwords of facebook and the like? isnt that like getting to read your letters and email and others thing like that

Yes it's exactly like that.

You know how companies have rules of what sort of things are not OK for you to be doing while on the job? Well with your boss spying on you constantly via social network, those "work rules" basically extend to your private life as well. So if for example you make the mistake of posting a photo of you being drunk at a party, you get your ass fired. Because how dare you do stuff that is against company policy in your own private time.

If an employer wont hire me because I have drunk pics on facebook, I don't wanna work there. Not that I have a whole lot of drunk pics on facebook or anything...

I'd be better off starting my own business, and cutting out the employer altogether.

Matt's Mowing - Mow for Your Money!

Yes it's exactly like that.

You know how companies have rules of what sort of things are not OK for you to be doing while on the job? Well with your boss spying on you constantly via social network, those "work rules" basically extend to your private life as well. So if for example you make the mistake of posting a photo of you being drunk at a party, you get your ass fired. Because how dare you do stuff that is against company policy in your own private time.
If an employer wont hire me because I have drunk pics on facebook, I don't wanna work there. Not that I have a whole lot of drunk pics on facebook or anything...

You guys realize it says passwords right? They can already see your drunk pics on facebook if you leave it open or friend them (which some places now require you to do, my mom had to make an account to do it lol). But this will let them edit your content.

Oh, yeah I realize that. Does anyone actually believe their "intellectual property protection" fairytale?

Just a thought.... It's bad enough that they may get access where they could edit posts and the like, but you have private correspondence in your facebook private messages that you may not want anyone else reading, and isn't this also an invasion of privacy to your friends, that will not want you're employer reading their content/messages too? How does that get policed? All of a sudden most of your friends list de-friends you so that you're shitty employer can't spy on them too... This is ridiculous. So much for the whole 'land of the free' thing.

Has Facebook ever been private though? I figured they had ownership over your page and everything on it.

Has Facebook ever been private though? I figured they had ownership over your page and everything on it.
There's been a lot of back and forth in that regard. Facebook tried to claim ownership of any images posted, but I think they backed way off after a huge outcry.

There's been a lot of back and forth in that regard. Facebook tried to claim ownership of any images posted, but I think they backed way off after a huge outcry.

Facebook goes wayyyyy deeper than that. They are probably be able to figure out you are depressed, cheating on your wife, or gay before your friends and family do. It all comes down to statistical algorithms. Statistical algorithms that Facebook pays dozens of people 100K+ a year to make more effective.

Back