Can you help me work something out

Xendance

Tank
Reaction score
Hi, I begin my 2nd year at college soon and I shall be driving there. I will be taking friends in and we're gonna share petrol costs, but I have NO idea how much to charge them a week. Can you help me work it out (and show how you worked it out, so I can try and understand it).

My car does 42MPG apparently, but I think this is on a day where it's at constant speed. The road to college are single carrigeway roads so I will be travelling no higher than 60mph.

One litre of fuel costs 116.9p

To get to college it's a 7 mile trip, and obviously there is the journey back so in total it's 14 miles.

Splitting this between myself and 2 friends, how much should we be paying each?

Easy:

Fill up the car

Pick everyone up

Carpool

Fill the car up

Divide cost by number of people.

Whatever amount of money the gastank takes to fill up, divide by three.

Thats how much you should split if you're going to be carpooling together regularly

EDIT: FCK, beaten by Top Secret!

Multiply the number of friends you have by the amount of gas you buy each week. Take that number, divide by 12 and add 5.

ITT people who suck at basic applied math

14 mile trip
42 mpg
= 1/3 gallon per trip
116.9p per litre
=531.9p per gallon
Cost for trip = 177.3p
Divided 3 ways = 59.1p, call it an even 60!

But why the hell do you guys measure price of gas in liters yet the mileage in gallons?
Edit: also my answer was initially wrong because apparently UK gallons are different than US gallons. It's correct now, though.

Why would you do that? You cant use an equation because there are many variables that could affect MPG.

Weather, condition of his tires, condition of his car's fuel pump, the average speed he'll take (60mph wastes more fuel than 55mph which is what they measure most off MPG off of) as well as many other variables that affect MPG on an actual trip

Just drive there, fill it up back to what it started at, and split the cost of filling it back up three ways.- like many others said

It's probably worth mentioning that while crude oil is black, unleaded petrol is not

It really shouldn't be such a difficult problem that you need to request help from The Internet.

I can't make fun of Xendance in this thread actually. I am a mathtard as well.

Charge them arbitrarily based on how much money you want. Then EVERYONE wins...... everyone who is you

Back