Chet on CS:GO Interview Part 1 - We won't change the rules of CS

Hectic Glenn

Site Director
Staff member
Reaction score
csgopart1.png
[br]
Halflife2.net were recently at the Eurogamer Expo where we had a long chat with Valve writer Chet Faliszek, best known as the project lead on the Left 4 Dead series and wingman to CS:GO project lead, Ido Magal. In the first part of our three part interview we chatted to Chet about the CSS & 1.6 split playerbase, whether CS can keep up with modern shooters and how PS3 Move players will keep up with PC K&B players.[br]
Chet tells us we can expect a higher skill ceiling than CSS but the rules of CS:GO will be what we all know and can relate to.
"There are a lot of shooters out there now, that they rev every year and that kind harms the community in a way, right? Because you want to get really good at your game, and - they don't change the rules of soccer very often. They've been around for a long time. There's a reason for that, which is everyone wants to know what they're doing and playing against."
Check out the rest of the interview after the break with part 2 coming soon![br]

GLENN: What do you think it said about CS 1.6 alone that Valve never needed to do any updates for it, any new content, any community building, yet it persistently has those highest placed Steam stats? Why is that?[br]

CHET: Well, I mean, with CSS right next to it - it's seven years old and the other's twelve years old. It's because it's really competitive. There are a lot of shooters out there now, that they rev every year and that kind harms the community in a way, right? Because you want to get really good at your game, and - they don't change the rules of soccer very often, that's football for you guys, right? They've been around for a long time. There's a reason for that, which is is everyone wants to know what they're doing and playing against. Same with the maps: we have dust2, still coming out again, because there's map you can test yourself against.[br]A lot of shooters now have a lot of dressing around them - don't get me wrong, they're great, they're fun, I had fun playing Battlefield 3 and I can't wait for it to come out - but when it comes down to it there's going to be a lot of things around the game or around you playing that are gonna kill you. Here, it doesn't matter if you killed three guys ahead of the guy you’re about to fight; it’s you and him at that moment in time, and who’s the better player. And that’s what decides.[br]

[br]

SULK: Do you think that CS - or the rules of CS - are robust enough to last and still appeal without actually having any major changes to them?[br]

CHET: We think so, and one of the things we want to do with CS:GO is we want to make the best version of Counter-Strike. So we’re talking to the 1.6 pros, we’re talking to the CSS pros, and their ideas - I think with CSS we probably clamped the skill ceiling down too much. You have this problem that if you don’t have skill-based matchmaking, and you make things for the really good players, and let them be really good, that just means they’re gonna stomp the hell out of the really bad players, right? So these really bad players are gonna have no idea, wait, wait, there’s a - there’s a method to the spray that comes out of the gun? What the hell are you talking about? [br]

So, skill-based matchmaking lets us say hey, you know, that’s true and the really good players can know that, and when they’re competing against players of the same skill level, those are the choices that are going to make them win or lose. But the really bad players or the people starting out can get in and they’re just happy with the controller. So us having skill-based match-making allows us to bring back this high skill ceiling which will let those really good players demonstrate their abilities.[br]

SULK: Okay, you’re actually relying quite a lot on your matchmaking system in order to make sure you don’t have the accusations of what angry internet screamers would call ‘consolize it’ or ‘dumb it down’?. [br]

CHET: Yeah, yeah, you don’t dumb down anything in the game, you give places for the various skill levels to live.[br]

SULK: Hence the two game modes, I guess?[br]

CHET: Well - those in a way. Because even if you’re new to the game or a bad player, you still want to be able to play the competitive side. The social side really is - we see this a lot ourselves with Left 4 Dead in particular, where sometimes we’re playing serious, and sometimes we’re just talking about what’s going on in life, and what movies we’ve just seen, while we’re playing the game. We want to have those communities to be able to play the games in different ways.[br]

[br]

SULK: So there’s actually very little in the game that’s not optional which would have made the teenage wannabe pro gamer of my youth scream ‘I can’t believe they did that!’ [br]

CHET: Oh yeah, no, it was really important to us while making Counter-Strike G.O. to make sure we were making Counter-Strike - not reacting to something else that’s going on. The longevity and popularity of Counter-Strike exists because of those things in it which some people find hard or take a while to get into - and we just want to make sure those still exist, but at the same time open it up so that new players can get in.[br]

GLENN: Do you think it’s a problem that you’ve got this split - essentially I think it’s almost half and half of Counter-Strike: Source and CS 1.6 - that the players who play those games will be looking for probably different things? Are you trying to meeting them in the middle?[br]

CHET: Well, a couple of guys have been making posts about that, saying they would like to see the 1.6 community get bigger: it’s about prize pools, about competition, about the size of the environment, right? But it can only get so big because new players look at that game with its graphics and say ‘that kinda looks like shit.’ And fair enough, it’s a 12-year old game, It does. And then CSS players, they can do this thing where they’re working at a lower DX level, they’re doing all this cheap shit to get to be the highest in competition. So we wanna say with CS:GO, you can jump in, the DX level’s the same for everybody, and you’re not going to be running it crap to get a lesser effect on the flashbang or anything like that. [br]

So talking about those kind of ideas, they got excited about that. Because they just want to have one game to focus on, one game that they’re playing, it helps with the sponsors, it helps with the size of the pool of players. But we can’t force them to have it, right? What we can do is make the best game - react that we’ve maybe done things with CSS that hurt people coming over from 1.6. You know, there’s this weird mystique that people think -oh, people playing 1.6, they’ve got a crappy computer, they have a lousy internet connection? But no, there’s a ruleset there that they enjoy over CSS. We need to make sure that we’re making a game that people can get into, and if they move over or not, it’s up to them. We’ll just make the best possible game we can and then let them move over or not. But I think our eyes are a lot more open going into CS:GO than they may have been in CSS.[br]

[br]

GLENN: So we’ve just played CS:GO on PS3 with a controller but the PS3 will also support Move?[br]

CHET: Yeah, with the PS3 you can do Move, you can do mouse and keyboard, or you can do controller.[br]

GLENN: In testing how does a person with a mouse and keyboard fare against someone using Move?[br]

CHET: Well, so, there’s two modes you can play all the classic stuff with - the whole game essentially - competitive mode, and the kind of social mode that we’re playing here, where you have unlimited weapons, there’s no money involved, you don’t really buy anything, no friendly fire and all of that. If you want to play the competitive side, where it’s all basically skill, there’ll be skill-based matchmaking. So we don’t care about your input device, because you’ll end up playing with people of the same skill level.[br]

GLENN: Right, kind of makes it about how good you are with the input device rather than about the device itself. [br]

CHET: Exactly, exactly. That’s why when you see people on the PC forum complaining that we’re going to have PS3 players in the same pool maybe...well... [Evo: Only if they’re good!] Yeah! It’s only going to matter that either they’re bad, or the PS3 guys are really good. But in general we find the mouse and keyboard is the better input device and more predominantly PC people are good.[br]
<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1hhV8YNo_qI?hd=1" frame allowfullscreen></iframe>[br]Sulk gets knifed, oh the humiliation!
[br]Part 2 coming soon.[br]
Glenn & Laurence (Brindle Blog)

Good job on transcribing guys :D Was a really insightful interview to listen to at the expo :)

Sulkdodds did more than me, he's a real trooper. Well worth it though, we have plenty more interesting things to publish for parts 2 & 3. I wish we could put it all up now...but my word there was a lot said that sunny afternoon.

Thanks for doing this. Definitely a great read for people like myself who couldn't listen to it in person.

Good interview! Personally I have not had a problem with the sound or graphics of CS:GO. Mainly what I'm afraid of is the accessibility that Valve may put into the game. I don't want a dumbed down CS catered to new players or the console crowd. However Valve appears to have solved this with their matchmaking system. Personally I'm more of a fan of CS 1.6. It feels more responsive, the hit detection is correct, and it feels familiar. Most people initially and still do not like the Source version. Recently they revised the hit detection model (over 7 years late) but people didn't play Source because it had HDR and all those fancy graphic features that wouldn't help you kill enemies.

didn't play Source because it had HDR and all those fancy graphic features that wouldn't help you kill enemies.

This one million times. I like my box world where I know every surface and can see everything I need to see.

Okay, tell me it was someone else that headshotted that guy at :10

Because what the ****.

I can confirm for you Vegeta, that Sulk with the Krieg didn't kill the guy running around that corner. It was someone who was walking near the sniper nest opposite. I know because that guy killed me seconds before and I was next to Sulk shouting 'he's around the corner, AVENGE ME'.

I don't remember it at all, and was thinking "hey, nice shooting" to myself when I watched it, but it was probably somebody else. Was I drunk?

Wait I just noticed this "Brindle Brothers" thing at the bottom. What is this?

Is the netcode (or whatever made the hitbox:seen-player-location lag) fixed from CSS? It's the only thing that pissed me off in that game (and I think one of the main reasons 1.6 players didn't switch?).

That's a good question. I was wondering about that myself.

Is the netcode (or whatever made the hitbox:seen-player-location lag) fixed from CSS? It's the only thing that pissed me off in that game (and I think one of the main reasons 1.6 players didn't switch?).
We don't know, but it seems likely. In the interview Chet is pretty emphatic in confessing that Valve 'made mistakes' with CSS. With all that humility, it wouldn't make sense if they didn't plan to fix those issues. Moreover, the beta that will soon be going live includes many hardcore 1.6 players, so that if they have the same problems there'll be hell raised about it.

Wait I just noticed this "Brindle Brothers" thing at the bottom. What is this?
Don't tell anyone, but John Brindle is a secret identity, and Brindle Brothers is my blog. It's all about videogames analysis and criticism. I was going to post a thread about it at some point but in my new house I still only have dongle internet, and hl2.net is apparently blocked.

Don't tell anyone, but John Brindle is a secret identity, and Brindle Brothers is my blog. It's all about videogames analysis and criticism. I was going to post a thread about it at some point but in my new house I still only have dongle internet, and hl2.net is apparently blocked.
Can I be a brother? :D

We don't know, but it seems likely. In the interview Chet is pretty emphatic in confessing that Valve 'made mistakes' with CSS. With all that humility, it wouldn't make sense if they didn't plan to fix those issues. Moreover, the beta that will soon be going live includes many hardcore 1.6 players, so that if they have the same problems there'll be hell raised about it.
Game companies do it every time especially Valve. Every time they release an update they change "little" things that are not mentioned in patch notes or as a minor thing. Unfortunately the game is broken and they keep breaking the game until it takes like 5min for the game to load with multiple messages that spam you (looking at you again TF2). Pretty much I am really bitter about TF2 because I loved TFC so much. TF2 was great that is until they mutated far more than Frankenstein. They always say "oh we are experimenting with the hit detection model" or "oh it's the same". I don't understand that about game companies. Give me my BF2/CS with better graphics with little to no hit on performance and keep everything else the same. However the change on de_dust are welcome.

If they knew about it, I wish they would've patched it :(

I played the game just yesterday and the problem ever so abhorrently present. But I can't stand the throw-up graphics of 1.6.

Back