City-17's location

Who cares? I just wanna blast some alien/combine scum :sniper:

Hmm. well, here's ore on the radwaste facility. You know, I really don't think there is anything much else on the web about this place. It's time to organise an exploration team. Anyboduy want a holiday in Russia?

By the way, I'm sure nobody said the game was in Eastern Europe. I'm sure they the architecture was based on Eastern Europe. Anyway, it's great being well-inrformed. Moto X, we may have to go underground lest Gabe tries to 'silence' us.

Moto-x_Pat said:
No dude, the boats and submarines are not operational anymore (please not the huge holes and ripped off parts on them), therfore the were thrown in the Zvezda Shipyard's Scrap yard. Jeez, pay attention...I have been explaining the whole thing over the last three pages.

Just look at the pics and videos! That is obviously a big dryed out sea. I never said the boats were operational. I just wondered where this dryed out sea would be.

Didymium said:
Just look at the pics and videos! That is obviously a big dryed out sea. I never said the boats were operational. I just wondered where this dryed out sea would be.

Okay Didyum, please pay closer attention. In the post you quoted from me I clearly said that those non operational ships and submarines are on a dry area because this is the ZVEZDA SHIPYARD'S SCRAP YARD. Scrap yards are comparible to a city junkyard because 1) they are located on dry land, and 2) they contain, that's right...junk and scraps. Read through this entire topic, If you do, you will read a small paragraph about the Zvezda shipyard. In that paragraph or two, it is explained that the Zvezda shipyard located in Shkotovo-17 has many 2nd and 3rd generation submarines either docked or scrapped at their shipyard. They also manufacture and repair merchant ships such as fishing boats, refrigerated boats for food transportation, and oil tankers.

I noticed something whilst watching the vid of the buggy and the dried up sea. When gordon was in the buggy driving along the coast, I noticed I could see a blue or white hue in the distance, this could be some sort of sea (The tide might be out). I've seen examples of this. The beach is so flat that, the sea can be 2 miles away from land, and close to land within 10mins. So the combine might of not drained the sea as i preveously thought.

It wouldn't be HalfLife without some sort of nuclear based item in the game, and thats where the rusting carcass of a nuclear sub comes in,lol.

I just noticed someting that isn't related to city-17's location. If you watch the traptown video and listen to the sounds the headcrabbed zombies make when they die, they are the old half-life zombie pain sounds, but in the docks video, they have newer sounds that will probably be in the full version. It's nothing relevant, but I guess that means that the docks video is one of their newer videos. I always thought there was something about the docks video that looked so much nicer than the others, it seemed to have more updated graphics than the other videos.

The big clawlike walls that you see in this picture are what is called "The Combine." The soldiers throughout City-17 are not called the combine. You can hear them say this at the end of the gamespy video. The combine's mission or purpose is to gradually take over all of City-17. It slowly inches along the ground, taking more and more of the city with each step. I think we will have to wait on the official name of the soldiers.

And no, I have never played the beta. I haven't even tried to look for it. I want this game to be a surprise... besides, I like valve despite their bad Public Relations and wouldn't test play five years of their hard work illegally.

Well Im sorry that I did not bother to read the other posts in this thread so it may have already been stated. I believe that City 17 may be the birthplace or a place that Gordon once lived. It states in the Half life Manual that Gorden is recently going to go to work at Black Mesa after graduating from the University of Innsbruck in Austria. Like others have already stated, whether that be here or on another forum. The road signs in the E3 movies show that they are similar to all the road signs in Austria as well as many other traits in the movies. Dr Kleiner, Gordons professor at the University of Massashusetts, is obviously in the game which again and knew of Gordons education at Innsbruck. I think it is quite possible that City 17 could be Innsbruck Austria, it would be nice if someone else could try and do some research on this.

Edit: Well This could have been true if Austria wasnt landlocked, sorry for posting ilrelevent info.

Edit2: Then again this picture seems to look like the architecture found in the E3 movies http://home.iprimus.com.au/jupiter3/images/austria/innsbruck.jpg

I think.

I think Marc made up the city all on his own :D But that's just me.

Good Idear here maybe.

If in fact this is a real location and we could get some rich ppl to sponsor a competion for best players it would be nice to win a trip and see the real location.

Like sulkdodds mentioned to go on a vacation ( research team ), that would be better for real HL fans then just winning money, but money is also a nice jester..

Ive seen this done in Gspy for like ( BF1942 ) they offered i think 40 grand for the winner. thats ok and all but a trip to see the location and maybe meet the team ( Valve ) would be a nice experence especially when this is like a worldwide best seller product.

I no some of you may not find a vacation that includes walking around nuclear waste very pleasurable thats why i said maybe a good idear. :bonce:

Is the Bink "Docks" movie in the same general area? There's water in that, and there's also cranes and stuff in the background...

Ok then. Forget about the junkyard. I'm still wondering what that dryed out sea is. Look at the movie where he's driving around with the buggy.

Didymium said:
Ok then. Forget about the junkyard. I'm still wondering what that dryed out sea is. Look at the movie where he's driving around with the buggy.

OMG, lol!

That's what I'm talking about! The buggie movie IS the junkyard.

Yes it might be used as a junkyard but it still is the ****ing dryed out sea mentioned! It's not just some place they made to put junk in. It looks like an old sea. Don't you understand me? Maybe you can convince me by showing pictures oy this junkyard in Shkotovo-17.

Why would C-17 be the arrival/starting point to the Combine invasion? Maybe the reactors of the nuke subs can be useful to energy supply?

Right, now call me stupid but I believe that HL2 is set in Prague, Italy. Check out these pictures, the buildings are basically the same of HL2.

http://www.alliedmediacorp.com/photos/images/prague.jpg
http://www.mit.edu/people/asatrijo/images/Europe/prague.jpg
http://www.nyfa.com/images/school/prague.jpg

I could go on but that proves my point. I could easily be wrong and I know I don't have any evidence or anything like the above posters, with the Russian City names and everything, but give me a chance, and take a look yourself. :rolleyes:

That Italian Architecture is basically the same as Russian acrhitecture. Plus, building styles alone are not enough to support a theory. Every country has a style of acrhitecture that is somewhat unique, but nowadays, achitecture is almost the same in every country as far as modern buidings go.

Sulkdodds said:
Who says it was their starting point?

That Combine tower is located there, isn't it? Or you suggest that the Combines are spread all over the world? :borg:

Why the hell not? And I was just about to say "Prague isn't in Italy!"
But Pat's right. That archetecture looks very much like Tsarist Russian archetecture and some Russian Communist archetecture too.

When I think about it now I remember seeing buildings in BF1942 in the berlin map that look like the buildings in HL2.

Trust me, it's in Russia. My dad knows about the Russian Zvezda shipyard and he says that there are nuclear submarine carcasses just floating in the shipyard, waiting to sink...just like in HL2.

Ah, but you see, Quiggalo, Berlin archetecture is pretty similiar (I think) to Tsarrist Russia archetecture. You can see buildings in the Berlin map that look just like the ones in the Stalingrad map (to a lesser extent since the Stalingrad one is an industrial trainyard and Berlin is a high street).

maybe your location is more exactly that you think
cause in a screenshot I heard apear asiatic people
and norhtkorea is the asiatic country more close to that city
so maybe that is City17

Could be, could be. Or maybe we're all right. Who knows?

Ok since Moto-X pat says ships floating. Maybe in the 10 years since the balck mesa the ocean receded, due to Radiation alien presences, etc. Therefore since sea receded that means that the ships would end up on the ground. Therefore rationalizing everything. as it is obvious that it was a seabed, simply because of docks and industrial equipment being way too high up to function properly with other vessels.

Such "secret cities" were known only by a postal code, identified with a name and a number. Originally, the number following the city was the distance in kilometers the facility was located from the city. In practice, the numbers were in some instances arbitrarily assigned, and changed from time to time, to obscure the actual location of the installation. Thus, the All-Russian Scientific and Research Institute of Experimental Physics (VNIIEF) was initially known as Arzamas-60, a postal code designation to show that it was 60 km from the city of Arzamas. But the "60" was considered too sensitive, and the number was changed to "16." In 1947 the entire city of Sarov (Arzamas-16) disappeared from all official Russian maps and statistical documents. The facility has also been known Moscow-300, the town of Kremlev, and Arzamas-75. Zlatoust-20 is probably the same as Zlatoust-36, and Kurchatov-21, Moscow-21, Moscow-400 and Semipalatinsk-121 are almost certainly the same as Semipalatinsk-16.

This explains the numbering of cities

This explains possible reason why or what the combine could be modeled after. I mean the soldiers only.

The "secret cities" share these characteristics, but they were separated from other urban areas, self-contained, and protected by fences and guard forces. The secret cities require a special permit for entrance, and are usually surrounded by a concrete wall. Personnel working in the Soviet nuclear complex were under heavy surveillance by the KGB, and underwent an intensive screening process, and their activities were closely monitored. Soviet-era control systems relied heavily on keeping personnel and materiel in secret cities and facilities, closely monitoring nuclear industry personnel, and severely punishing control violations.

I think that the combine is trying to trap the city and turn it into a factory for the combine. With the people who are gone missing becoming workers.

no, the combine are trying to protect the city from aliean attack..... duh! (combine dont like things that are not human.... BLAMBLAMBLAM!)

(my grammer is normally much better then this, im just high on pop-tarts right now..... *bits into cinnamen goodness*)

Man, I thought double posts were bad. . . .

Yeah, the citadel's claim is for 'protection' just like city 17's claim is 'it's safer here'

well, an oppressive society run by evil humans looks pretty good compared to the alien invasion happening outside of the combine walls...

That city aint secret no more

City is not secret no more. Here is its location on Map Quest.

Isn't that somewhere completely different? Shkotovo is in the South-East of Russia I think. And it's not secret anymore in any case. :)

Awesome! My thread is still alive!

I am so l33t.

P.S. I also pwn.

clarky003 said:
maybe valve are twisting the real life story of the city being radioactive, to their story of it being a complete coverup (the radioactivitness),in order too keep people away from the real events taking place, eg the xen and combine infiltration.. dunno if anyones suggested that already? sortof tieing it in with real world events to make it seem plausable that their story has 'actually happened', black mesa and all that
Why would they act as if the city would be radeoactive to scare people away?, To my knowledge the number city's (City 14 and City 17) are places where the survivors of the Xen invasion can go to protected by the combine against things like; headcrabs, zombies, and other xen creeps.

Moto-x_Pat said:
Trust me, it's in Russia. My dad knows about the Russian Zvezda shipyard and he says that there are nuclear submarine carcasses just floating in the shipyard, waiting to sink...just like in HL2.
Exept in hl2 they are at the bottom on the dried up lake wich makes me believe that something drained down the river, or maby something is stealing all the earth's recources like water. who knows!

pretty interesting tho

Back