City in Black and White

S

Smizzoach

Well, here's a story revolves around Civil Protection cop and a resistance member in City 14 (thus the name of the story because of a black/white perspective on the events) inspired by a thread in single player mythology. Constructive criticism is appreciated.

The rain drops pounded the streets mercilessly, while the wind punished anything in its path with violent gusts, and the thunder trembled all that was beneath the storm. This was what the past four days resembled in City 14, flooded roads, frightening storms, and raids. Tonight would be no different.

The weather provided a tactical advantage for Overwatch forces, it was too dark to catch sight of and too thunderous to hear them coming. Combine intelligence brought Civil Protection to Sector 4, where it is believed that anti-citizens have taken refuge in Housing Complex H.

This was I.D. NO. 2524 first significant assignment, tired of tedious street patrols, he was eager to get into a skirmish. Hitching a ride on the side of an APC and holding an MP7 at his hip, he noticed they were quickly approaching their destination.

The APC came to a stop, and Overwatch scrambled out of and off of the vehicle and charged the entrance.

“Reports tell us that the anti-citizens are on the 4th floor in an apartment D, hurry it up, they may have already cleared out,” exclaimed the squad leader.

2524 and the squad responded, “Yes, sir!”

They stormed up the numerous flights of stairs of the creaky, dilapidated building. 2524 was very uneasy, feeling he can just fall through the stairway. Finally, they’ve reached the 4th floor, 2524 ran to the front of the door, and attempted to kick it in, it took four solid smacks from the bottom of his boot to knock the door in.

On the other side of the door was a young, slender man, he was somewhat shocked, he knew it was a matter of time before Overwatch found him.

“Halt, citizen!” barked 2524, while aiming his submachine gun at his chest.

The rest of the raiding party flooded the small, grimy, dank apartment searching for the other rebels. The residents in neighboring apartments poked their heads out of the doors peering out in curiosity. A cop standing outside of the raided residence cocked his weapon and fired a single round into the ceiling and soon the peering citizens shut the doors.

“It’s too late, asshole. They’ve been gone.” said the rebel.

“Where are they headed to?” barked the squad leader.

“What makes you think I’ll tell you, mother ****er?”

The commanding officer pulled out his sidearm and struck the rebel in face with the butt of his gun, knocking him to the wood floor.

“Detain him, we’re taking him in for interrogation, inspect the premises for any traces of the insurgents.”

A CP grabbed the man by his wrists and cuffed him, while he fruitlessly struggled and cursed.

“Shut him up! I’m sick of his loud mouth, and 2524 quit staring like a moron and get busy!” screamed the leading CP.

“Sir!” replied 2524.

2524 pulled out his knife and sliced through cushions of the yellow stained sofa, but found nothing. He continued to rummage around for any evidence and an armoire caught his attention. 2524 looked through the various drawers but still came up with nothing, and in rage threw the armoire to the floor.

But then he saw something awkward, a deep rectangular carving in the dry wall. 2524 placed his fingers in the crevice and began to pull the piece of wall, it didn’t budge but then he tugged it harder, until he yanked it out and was sent flying back, then he examined what was inside.

“Captain, sir! I’ve found something!” yelled 2524.

“Huh, a radio. Get it out of the wall and load it into the APC, as well as that foul mouth, we’re done here.” commanded the officer.

The detained rebel tried to make a smart ass remark but his mouth was duct taped shut and all that came out was mumbles. The Captain then kicked him the chest and the cops laughed and watched him wince in pain.

One of the CPs grabbed the prisoner by the hair and dragged him across the filthy apartment hallway and threw him down the staircase, while all the others chuckled.

“Enough fooling around, we need the son of a bitch alive!” shouted the commanding officer.

Carrying the large radio, 2524 moved towards the APC, then loaded it into the back, and hoped back on the side of the APC, the same way he came.

“Corporal 2524, you’ve done well tonight, I’m thinking of having you serve under me, my squad is sent out very often, so there’s more risk involved in this promotion, unless you’ve grown accustomed to pacing back and forth in Sector 7, have you?” stated the Captain.

“No sir, even though street patrol is so exhilarating, I’d prefer the promotion.”

“Ha, good choice, the matter will be discussed when we get back to base.”

“Yes sir!”

The Overwatch forces got into the APC and drove away from the housing complex. But atop the building, a dark figure stood with an RPG mounted on their shoulder, poised and ready to fire on the Combine vehicle. They pulled the trigger, but nothing happened. They attempted again, but still nothing.

“God damn it.” said the figure in a deep voice. He pulled out a radio and spoke to someone on the other end.

“They got away with Sanders. I apologize, it was a malfunction, I had my doubts about that “Suit.” I knew it was bad business from the start but my warning went unnoticed! And you should be worried that our position will be revealed to the Combine! Next time you shou- sorry. I’m sorry, sir. I’ll return immediately."

Looks ok at face value - will there be much more?

Well, here's the second part, feel free to share your thoughts.

The mysterious figure threw the RPG on his back climbed down the fire escape to get to ground level, but soon noticed a CP at the end of alley way facing the empty streets. It looked as if he was guarding the alley for some reason, then anonymous man noticed something below, two more cops, they had a young woman backed up into a corner, beating her with their stun batons, the unknown man had a good idea of what was going on, so he slowly pulled out a compact pistol with a homemade suppressor screwed on. He carefully aimed it at the cop guarding alley.

The moment the anonymous man pulled the trigger, he lost his footing on the fire escape ladder; the bullet whizzed by the head of the cop and hit the wall.

“What the Hell?” questioned the Combine.

The anonymous man tried to regain his balance but fell a good three stories, landing on top of a few trash cans and soggy cardboard boxes. The CPs got off the woman and scanned the area.

“Damn it, what was that?”

“I’ve no idea, it came from over there.”

With their stun batons raised, the three cops slowly approached the unknown figure as the raped woman, began to weep softly.

“PHHT! PHHT!”

Two of the Combine fell to the ground, one was clearly dead, as the radio dispatch went off, the second had his hand to his throat gurgling and screaming in pain. The third quickly pulled out his firearm, but before he could fire, he was tripped.

“PHHT!”

The CP went limp, and the radio dispatch went off again. The anonymous man raised himself off the floor, writhing in pain. He stared at the woman for a few seconds before speaking.

“You… come with me, we’ve got to leave.”

“NO! I’m not going anywhere, not until I find out who you are!” the woman replied with panic in her voice.

“Completely understandable, if it makes you feel any better, my name is Conrad. Now I suggest you come with me, because when Overwatch arrives, you’ll later be considering this event mild.”

Conrad extended his hand to her, and she put hers into his and he yanked her off from the ground. She let out a surprised gasp.

“Okay, let’s go… Conrad.” the woman said.

Conrad looked down at one of the cops, still grasping his neck, choking on the overabundance of blood leaking out. He pressed his weapon on the dying CP’s chest. But before Conrad could squeeze the trigger, the young woman pushed his arm away from the Combine; it was obvious she wanted him to suffer.

“Rather cruel, don’t you think?” Conrad queried, but she didn’t respond.

As the two proceeded to the dim alley’s exit, Conrad tried to start a conversation.

“So, uh, you have a name?” asked Conrad.

“Yeah, it’s…” The woman’s sentence stopped midway, they both heard a low rumbling as they stood in the middle of the street. The two froze as a blinding light broke the darkness. A Combine APC stood in front of them with a turret pointed at them.

“June.” she completed.

Over a loudspeaker, a Civil Protection officer screamed, “Halt citizens! You are now under arrest, drop your weapons and you will not be fired upon!”

The two glanced at each other and actually saw each other for the first time in light. June had dark brown hair and light green eyes was a somewhat short, slender woman, probably not older that 25. Even though her face was scratched and bruised, she was still rather alluring. Conrad was completely concealed in a dark raincoat, all that was exposed was a portion of his pale face. The only feature that stood out was an armband with an orange Greek character. June knew exactly what that meant, and it wasn’t long before the Combine in the APC saw it too.

“They’re rebels, shoot them both!” bellowed the loudspeaker.

It didn’t take long for Conrad to react; he instantaneously grabbed June, even though she was still stuck in a trance.
Practically dragging her, Conrad sprinted up the city block as the turret opened fire. Pretty amazing for someone who just fell from three stories.

Dashing up the block and avoiding heavy gun fire, the turned Conrad and June turned the corner. Conrad grabbed the RPG off of his back and placed it on his shoulder and waited for the APC to appear.

“I suggest you get down and cover your ears, June Bug.” smiled Conrad.

She scoffed but respected his command. The loud revving of the engine was getting closer to them, Conrad tensed up. The APC appeared, he attempted to fire, but it failed to deliver results.

“Oh, what the hell?” Conrad screamed.

“So are we going to die?” June asked.

Conrad pulled the trigger and SURPRISE! The projectile came gliding out of the launcher and he steered into the side of the vehicle. The APC erupted in a brilliant explosion. A group of metro cops rushed out of the wrecked vehicle aflame and screaming before collapsing.

“So, do you think they’re dead?” questioned June.

“No, let’s hurry before their nap time is over.” sarcastically remarked Conrad.

Back