COD4 review

Some of the multiplayer maps are really impressive. Countdown just looks gorgeous with all the smoke billowing out from the silos, and as someone said already, it's very speed/paintball like with all the cover. Can't wait to unlock some more SMG's for that map. At the moment I play as Support, using the RPK and SAW with handle-grip. You can pretty much make a strong stance for yourself in the game once you start unlocking scopes, but otherwise things are going quite fairly, although the automatic sniper is such an annoyance.

Loving the city maps, too. They've all sort've blurred into one for me at the moment as it's a similar environment all around, but they kick ass anyway.

The Bog sucks, though. Vacant is my 'improve your SMG' skills map, and Crash is a good one for experimenting with rifles and support guns. But then, these were maps I played in the beta, so I'm already used to them and using those specific weapons just fits my best needs so whatever.

There is something... wrong... with the snipers. At least the early ones. The R700 and to a lesser extent the Dragunov are okay... I can't place it, but the shots simply don't register. Similar to the problems with the W1200 shotgun, which is simply awful, compared to the second shotgun which does quite well.

I can't decide if the P90 or the G36 is the best gun... Hmmm. Probably P90.

I've now set my sights on (if the Barret is off like the other scopes) unlocking a golden M60, so I can truly possess the Gun of Rambo. Gold M60 with a grip, Deep Impact, Sleight of Hand or some other Red perk... mmmm sprayfest.

EDIT:

The SP, while gameplay-wise not that different from previous CoD games, has a story/plot element that is at least on par with Valve's work. It even has a song at the end! But I'm serious, the story is mature, and as someone else said its a much different take on "war" than IW showed in previous games. There is some replay value too. I'm going to try out their SP cheats, play on an easier difficulty, and probably do Arcade mode a bit as well this weekend. Along with getting the max rank in mp, of course.

I haven't come across an Old School server yet, but Hardcore is good fun.

Some perks are more useful than others, but that's to be expected. For example: Deep impact is good with anything and all but required with some weapons, while Eavesdrop is more or less utterly useless on the PC where most communication is typed or uses external VOIP.

And some weapons are weak, while others are very tough. Skorpion, Uzi, and W1200 shotgun for instance are not great. Sniper rifles seem to be broken entirely, though as mentioned the R700 seems better. Whereas the M4 (and the later rifles), M60 and other LMGs, etc, are devastating. The P90 and G36 are ridiculous on some maps.

To top off the sniper rifle problem, you challenge reward for getting the 100 kills (quite a feat), is an ACOG scope! I cannot imagine why someone would want to use an ACOG on a sniper rifle. You would be better off putting one on an M14 or G3 is you just want the semi-auto gun.

I'm installing right now, I'm gonna go straight for the MP. I just hope it's as good as people say ;)

Skorpion, Uzi, and W1200 shotgun for instance are not great..

Skorpion, red dot sight and the map Vacant. Now. It is a terrifying weapon on that map. Or at least, I rack up a fair few kills with it. That is until I run out of ammo, which is fairly fast. Need to unlock the Bandeleir (sp?) perk, me thinks.

What has struck me as really quite flawed so far is the mounted squad automatic weapons on windows and ledges, etc. They are absoloutly AMAZING, taking someone down in about 4 rounds, when it's a lot different on a damage scale when you are actually using the SAW given to you as support/LMG. Still good, natch, but not as good as the mounted varient.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and on that mission...

... where the Cobra goes down, seriously, apart from changing the helicopter the dialogue was ripped straight from Black Hawk Down. Still cool, though. Loved the Chinook crew member contributing with his pistol from the back door as well, and then the subtle nods and other body language to the squad and pilots which is a completly new thing for a COD game. Like I said, they've really cracked down on detail here.

Skorpion, red dot sight and the map Vacant. Now. It is a terrifying weapon on that map. Or at least, I rack up a fair few kills with it. That is until I run out of ammo, which is fairly fast. Need to unlock the Bandeleir (sp?) perk, me thinks.

What has struck me as really quite flawed so far is the mounted squad automatic weapons on windows and ledges, etc. They are absoloutly AMAZING, taking someone down in about 4 rounds, when it's a lot different on a damage scale when you are actually using the SAW given to you as support/LMG. Still good, natch, but not as good as the mounted varient.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and on that mission...

... where the Cobra goes down, seriously, apart from changing the helicopter the dialogue was ripped straight from Black Hawk Down. Still cool, though. Loved the Chinook crew member contributing with his pistol from the back door as well, and then the subtle nods and other body language to the squad and pilots which is a completly new thing for a COD game. Like I said, they've really cracked down on detail here.

On your comments about the single player, I agree. While short, they have taken the series to a new level in that respect. I felt like I knew the main characters, especially Price - something new for the CoD series. Kind of makes you think how great it would have been if it had been a few hours longer.

Zoh my gawd the MP is fanfrickintastic. I'm already hooked with the challenges, finally something to replace CS.

IGN: Gunner if any of you hobos want to hook up.

I have it on my desk still and havnt opened it, along with World in Conflict.

Games im buying:
Brothers in arms Hells highway
CRYSIS
Call of duty 4
Far cry 2
Splinter cell 5 conviction
ASSASSINS CREED!!!

Could anyone with the 360 version riddle me this? -

How's the control scheme? I was in the beta and thought it was decent - infact I'd go as far as saying it's one of the better controller based setups I've played. The one thing that bothered me was the lack of options to tweak your aiming sensitivity, I could never get quite the right combination of precision and quick turning. Is it still just low/medium/high/very high, or did they actually add in a slider or something to let you tweak it more?

I thought I was going to hold out from getting this one, but it's sounding way too sweet to pass up. Besides which everyone on my friends list is always playing it, damn them. >_<

Games im buying:
Brothers in arms Hells highway
CRYSIS
Call of duty 4
Far cry 2
Splinter cell 5 conviction
ASSASSINS CREED!!!
You got a 360 then?:p
Assassins Creed isn't coming out until late Q1 2k8 so.;)

Hm, I had no problem changing the demo settings before, but now, whenever I try to do so, the game crashes to desktop and 10 seconds later a DirectX error pops up, suggesting I check the readme file. I'm sure there will be a solution for CoD4 in DirectX readme file ><

Wow. I rented this for the PS3 on my day off yesterday and I have to say it is absolutely incredible. It looks and runs like nothing I have ever seen. Easily the best looking console FPS I have ever played. The fights are the most intense in any FPS I have ever played and the story has some amazingly well-told and twisty elements. I only played the multiplayer for an hour or so because the campaign mode was so good I had to keep going back, even after that awesome ending. Still, I don't know if I will have a ton of time to devote to the multiplayer down the road with all of these great games coming out, so I am glad I just rented it for now. Still, easily THE showcase piece for the PS3 right now imho. :)

Hm, I had no problem changing the demo settings before, but now, whenever I try to do so, the game crashes to desktop and 10 seconds later a DirectX error pops up, suggesting I check the readme file. I'm sure there will be a solution for CoD4 in DirectX readme file ><

If xfire is running, close it.

For some reason when you change the settings and have xfire running, it crashes.

Wow. I rented this for the PS3 on my day off yesterday and I have to say it is absolutely incredible. It looks and runs like nothing I have ever seen. Easily the best looking console FPS I have ever played. The fights are the most intense in any FPS I have ever played and the story has some amazingly well-told and twisty elements. I only played the multiplayer for an hour or so because the campaign mode was so good I had to keep going back, even after that awesome ending. Still, I don't know if I will have a ton of time to devote to the multiplayer down the road with all of these great games coming out, so I am glad I just rented it for now. Still, easily THE showcase piece for the PS3 right now imho. :)
How can you call it a showcase piece for the PS3 when the 360 and PS3 version both look and run identically?:rolling:

How can you call it a showcase piece for the PS3 when the 360 and PS3 version both look and run identically?:rolling:

Because it's the first decent thing to actually be on the PS3?

/dons flamesuit.

Completed it earlier today. You know, for a game that is said to be realtively short, it felt like a long time going through it to me. I've only had it for two days but I've been putting a fair few hours into (8, I'd say) and even so, it still felt very lenghty.

The constantly spawning enemies at some points did get annoying, esp. on the level where you have to defend the hill then run back down it to get to the LZ. Time limit + squad mates who move too slow = annoying, because a lot of the time I'd be getting too far ahead of them then ripped apart from gunfire from all directions.

That said, I found the singleplayer to be very engrossing and a step in the right direction for the COD franchise. By no means the next best thing, but for a COD game I was pleasantly suprised.

Gonna crack on with more MP in a bit. Need to unlock the G36C ASAP. Sack the M4.

Antipop, the 'escape hill' level is quite easy, you dont have to give a rats ass about your team mates, they're invincible, I just ran right down to the shore, helicopter came, I jumped in, waited a minute, my team mates came, we flew away, it was funny seeing 100 angry russians rushing after them though, haha.

IMO, I'd like for the next CoD to be like maybe Vietnam or Korea.

How about the view jerking when you are hit in MP is it the same as in SP or more/less.

Hah thats what i did. Called the airstrike, ran through the right side of the field and crawled through a drainage system, then sprinted past and through everyone shooting at me and legged it down the hill.

And yeah, Antipop i thought it felt quite lengthy too.

On regular you can just keep calling the air strike.
I called 4 or 5.

Hah thats what i did. Called the airstrike, ran through the right side of the field and crawled through a drainage system, then sprinted past and through everyone shooting at me and legged it down the hill.

And yeah, Antipop i thought it felt quite lengthy too.
That's EXACTLY what I did!:LOL:

I ve been playing all day , I am on rank 23..... I called 7 airstrike, and 3 choppers.

The best mp game so far..

Antipop, the 'escape hill' level is quite easy, you dont have to give a rats ass about your team mates, they're invincible, I just ran right down to the shore, helicopter came, I jumped in, waited a minute, my team mates came, we flew away, it was funny seeing 100 angry russians rushing after them though, haha.

IMO, I'd like for the next CoD to be like maybe Vietnam or Korea.

I think you missed my points - it was the fact that without them, all the enemies fire was directed on to ME, considering that my team mates were at the top of the hill doing jack all, and by enemies fire I mean about 50 guys here. The respawning is really ridiculous.

Gah, Christmas can't get here any slower. D:

New hard drive and CoD4 :D

Been playing all day and its kinda 50/50. Nice Singeplayer games but then again its like COD2 with the set peices and AI. Ite very samey, more of the same. Graphically looks nice but I feel the 360 version looks the best.

MP is frustrating, playing against people who have unlocked better guns but hey that makes u wanna play more and get revenge!! The 'connection timed out' error really pisses me off, been getting is 9/10 times! Done port forwarding too

I played a few maps, tdm, dm and seek & destroy. I can't say I liked it, the weapon handling is beautiful but most of the time I am killed by a guy a didn't see next to me. It's mostly a game of who spots who first.

Although I may have been spoiled in that regard by TF2.

I definitely like the MP more and more... I found it annoying to get killed by people with P90s and such when the best I had was an M4, but it really isn't difficult to rank up. (Rank ... 48? now)

I just had some great fun on Downpour with this kit:

MP5 + Silencer
M9 + Silencer
Flash x3
UAV Jammer
Dead Silence

In that house everyone loves to camp with some windows and such, I would come in from the back, one flash through a window to blind the hallway, enter through the backdoor, flash again, kill 2-5 people easily, flash the front door, run like hell. On another map, the one thats basically a big street with buildings on either side, it was even better. Get into the enemy sniper house, flash each room and waste every inside.

Dead silence is really eerie the first time you use it...

Some of the later Challenges are in fact a bit challenging. Such as Misery Loves Company, aka JIHAD!!!11! Took me quite a while to get all three of the kills.

Single-player is meh, but the multiplayer is ****ing BRILLIANT

Best console MP game ever, EVER.

The perks are such a well developed edition that it's become quite worrying how much I obsess over what I go into the field with. I always have Deep Impact with me, and alongside that Stopping Power, sometimes Juggernaut. The first Perk selection is kinda second thought, it's just deciding between wanting UAV Jammer or something else that's a problem.

It's nice to see such a feature so well thought out and not just tacked on.

Alright, I have found the most pleasurable rig you can go with. Barrett fifty cal + golden deagle. Nothing else matters, because things will die. The sound and power on the Barrett is just beautiful, and the deagle is just plain overpowered. The Barrett is also the first sniper rifle that seems to be free of whatever it is that makes most of the others suck ass. Probably the fact that it will almost always kill in one shot.

Err -

How's the control scheme for 360? I was in the beta and thought it was decent. The one thing that bothered me was the lack of options to tweak your aiming sensitivity, I could never get quite the right combination of precision and quick turning. Is it still just low/medium/high/very high, or did they actually add in a slider or something to let you tweak it more?
Anyone? Seems like a good few people with the Xbox version here. :)

You know, after finishing SP missions and the credit rolls; if you wait there is a bonus mission you can play. I wont tell you what but I found it to be cool.

Also, if you collect all 30 Intel laptops you can unlock all cheats in the option menu when you pause the game. Try them. These cheats make the game even more fun. They're not actual cheats but more like added options.

If you like the C-130 mission and how the ground is shown as infrared; you can set the whole game just like that if you choose "CoD Noir" .

Photo-Negative = The game colors become inverted.
Super Contrast = The game's contrast increases.
Ragtime Warfare = The game feels like an old silent movie.
Cluster Bombs = One frag grenade thrown equals five in explosion.
A Bad Year = Enemies explode into tires when shot.
Slow-Mo Ability = Game plays at 40% normal speed.
Infinite Ammo = Unlimited ammo. (OK this is cheat)

And the Arcade Mode is also quiet fun.

Enjoy.

Bought this yesterday, played for a few hours. The SP is OK, the scripts don't annoy me as much as in the previous CoD's. Sometimes I'd like to know though, in which places there will be an infinite amount of enemies (so I don't bother with them and carry on to the objective) and in which there's a limited number of them, so I can kill them all before I proceed.

I've also tried the MP and so far it's really good IMHO.

I've got AK47 + red dot sight + stopping power + deep impact

It does pretty well, got 30 kills in the last game I played

GRRRR this connection time out error is pissing me off. Anyone get it when trying to join MP games on the PC? I cant connect to ANY servers now

Back