Collector's Edition DVD ONLY

Originally posted by Mountain Man
A lot of us who build our own systems don't have them. If you're in the habit of buying a stock pre-built off the showroom floor then, yeah, you most likely have had one for a while.

i built my own system and i bought a cd writer/dvd combo and yes i watch movies on my crappy 17 inch so what.

I build my own systems and am actually still running that same DVD-ROM from 1998. :afro:

Originally posted by crabcakes66
I wouldnt say that. ...they still manufacture tape cassettes .....and tape players..... you dont just stop making something like a cd-player ..the transition will be slow just like everything else.

#1 computers are a different story, 2 years ago my hard drive was 8 gigs, now you can barely run on that. Things are always evolving and things slowly become a thing of the past, like the floppy drive.

#2 I never said that they were going to abolish the CD-ROM, just that in the not so distant future I think all games will be availible on a DVD

#3 It was a joke, lighten up. :)

To Crptic
======

Your avatar is so sick. Do you enjoy watching kittens splashed? Even if it is meant to be funny, it is not.

Originally posted by Crptic
i've had dvd players in my last 3 computers since 1999. Anyone who doesn't have a dvd drive in their computer probably dosen't have a computer worth playing hl2 on.

dvd drives have fast audio extraction rates, and you can copy dvds and convert then to divx/svcd for backups.

dvd drives are also a lot faster when they are reading dvd media. I can rip around a 4 GB movie in about 10 minutes with a 16x drive.

My PC is plenty fast, and I own two DVD players which happen to be for TVs. TVs Much larger than my PC's Monitor, so shut the **** up wh0r3.

Whats with all the anti-dvd-drive sentiment? They aren't really a necessity but thats no reason to flat out refuse their usefullness.

Some magazines are switching to dvd cover discs, which allow you to get all the stuff you would normally download (which is hell for those of us who still have 56k connections). DVD-R's are also pretty handy. At the moment they seem like a bit of a novalty but I've found it very worthwhile.

Personally I'd love to get HL2 on a dvd. One disc rules them all!

The PC system I've got does't have a floppy disk drive. Most of the machines you see for sale nowadays don't have a floppy drive with it. The thing is too... I've realised that now I haven't had one for about 12 months - I don't need one.

Question: without a floppy, how would you install onto a new hard drive for a new computer? I honestly don't know, but I'll need to find out relatively soon..... :)

did anyone notice when this thread was started?

it's OLD!

I actually thought history was repeating itself... but yeah it's actually the original thread on this subject. doh!

I have a DVD rom drive, and I wouldn't go without it because...

1). I hook it up to my 68cm TV via TV-out on my video card and watch DVD's on that.

2). I can use future games that are on DVD (games are getting way to big for CD's).

3). I can rip DVD's onto my HDD and compress and copy to CD.

DVD roms are so cheap now, if you needed to buy a CD-rom theres no excuse for not getting a DVD rom instead :cheese:

Apos,

Most OS's these days just boot from cd-rom... Even some Windows 98SE discs do. After I found that I could install my OS without a floppy I trashed my floppy and now I only use cd-r's for moving data... and soon I will buy a DVDRW cause then I can back up more data!

easy, you make a bootable cd and put you OS's install files on there,i also dont have a floppy :) but instead, have buttons for my cathodes and fans there :) looks pretty nice if i may say so myself :D

My HP that I bought in 1999 had a DVD player. You can buy one for $30 dollars on newegg. I have a very large home theatre, but I still find having a DVD player can come in handy.

Whoops.. I'd like to apologize for leading Cannibal Corpse to this post, thus dragging it back from the dead :D

Sincerely,
Jeremy Dunn

Originally posted by crabcakes66
theres a simple anwser for that....its 10$ that could be in my pocket....i have absolutly no need for one....we have 5 dvd players ....i have no need for one on my computer.........to me its useless

Oh contrair! Apparently its not USELESS as you can ONLY get the special edition on dvd apparently. So THUS it has a use, and is therefore => NOT USELESS. Quite simple you see.

I would have bought a dvd rom for my computer if it was in the least bit useful to me. not once have I had a reason to use a dvd drive in my computer. my ps2 plays movies on the t.v. and if I want to watch a movie on the p.c. theres divx. of course I have a cd burner but cdrw/dvd are a bit dodgy if you ask me.

The first dvd drive I own on my computer will be a burner. so nyaah.

There is really no reason not to have a DVD drive in your PC these days. The computer I bought before I started college had one...and that was over four years ago. I don't see how a computer without one could even be capable of running HL2.

Originally posted by A2597
I have 5.1 surround sound, lounge chair, and 17 in monitor...

yea, I watch DVDs on my PC.
not to mention that my PC is also hooked up to a 32in TV... ;)

OR, I could just buy a REALLY Long monitor cable and hook it up to my 61" widescreen sony HDTV. :) Think I'll play HL2 on it.

:afro: Headshot.

Originally posted by Panthera
2). I can use future games that are on DVD (games are getting way to big for CD's).
IMHO this is the big reason why we're gonna need DVD drives in the future. No more of these 2+ CD sets that games come as these days, which are "only" 650MB each max.

Besides, if I just wanted to watch a DVD movie on my PC I could, but don't have to. It's just available. My PC sound system is better than my home system right now though. :p

Sucks that I have to buy a drive now though.

A Dvd-driver is a very versatile product, it plays both cd's and dvd's for starters, automatically providing 50% more usefulness than a standard CDROM. High quality audio/video will reapidly run out of room on a standard cd yet a DVD ill hold up to 8 times the amount of a regular cd. DVD seek times are comparable to cdrom seek times, in fact there is no need for a cd drive greater than 16 speed and high speed ie 52 is known to weaken and shatter cd's.

To argue that a dvdrom is superfluous to the needs of the modern PC is an ignorant argument. Data is critical for the PC/IT world and the higher and safer capability of DVD is very beneficial. A simple yet effective example is to point out that a program of 2.5 GB will take one dvd to hold and around 3 compressed cd's to hold. Simply having to insert cd after cd cripples the data transfer process by a large amount. DVD is a better storage medium, pure and simple. It wins.

CD's still have their place as a small data storage solution, but they have been superseeded, as will dvd's in due time.

Watching dvd movies on PC isn't as good as watching it on TV, and this is really just a size issue in the end, yet i'll stil watch dvd's in 5.1 surround sound on my computer all the same and be just as happy with the performance as on tv, infact i can do more with the dvd on my computer anyway and that's not jsut talking about the DVD computer "extras" you get on most movie dvd's nowdays anyway.

I'll be buying the DVD edition of HL2, simply because it will be better and be more entertaining for me.

What they could possibly fit on a DVD? It is not MGS2 Substance after all.

Besides, it has to have the PC/DVD-ROM Logo imprinted on the retail BOX, othewise it will be the normal CD (2 or 3 I guess).

well, when i first bought my dvd-rom back in the summer of 2000.. the damn thing set me back $200 lol.. but now they're so cheap.. I've seen as low as $33.. amazing how much cheaper things get in 2-3 years time.. I bought it because I thought it would be cool to be able to watch movies from my bed.. since i didnt have a tv and dvd player in my room. Now, I've got the same dvd-rom.. trusty Acer 16x.. and I recently added a Dvd +r/rw to my computer.. so I can make my legal archive copy of my collector's ed Half-Life 2 :D

Honestly, I doubt those dissing PC-DVD movie watching have ever watched a recently made DTS movie on a 22inch flat screen CRT, using special deinterlace settings, and a dedicated 5.1 sound system (hooked up through a fibre optic connection of course).

The picture real-estate might not be as large as a big-screen tv but the resolution and definition more than makes up for that imho. Sound quality is a no-brainer also given that it can be as good as anything in the home theatre / audio market - ie. $2000 sub, the works...

Seriously, if you have enough time and patience you can can also get a proper hdtv tv card and use programs like Girder to control a full media station with things like DVD, TV, Divx, MP3, whatever all through one remote. There is basically no limits on how far you can go with it.

I just have to chuckle at the lack of imagination being displayed by some people here, when they see all PCs as limited by cramped space, tiny $15 speakers and 15inch monitors. :p

If I buy one more game that is a 4 disk set with a play disk I'm going to rage.

Lets all bitch about DVD players like little children, waa waa :rolleyes:
Geez, you want a DVD, buy one, if you dont, then dont, simple!
Id get one but being a 14 year old Im already having a hard time saving up for a $AU1000 upgrade

I have both PIONEER A06 DVD-/+RW and A05 models and they kick ass.

I don't mind having the game on one single DVD though.

my pc is 2.5 sone and hooked to a tv (and a monitor ofcourse).
I can watch DVDs via PC on TV but also MOV, AVI, MPEG etc.
And yes, I also have a regular DVD player :)

I think a DVD player is a standard component in a modern PC these days.

For me a DVD drive just isn't that usefull right now. I don't want to watch movies on my computer and the only software or game I can think of that came on DVD would be Baldur's Gate, but there was also multiple CD box you can get.

One game however would work great on DVD. Final Fantasy XI beta took 6 gigs of hard drive space. :eek:

Even then most games allow you to install the stuff and then let your discs collect dust or use just one disc as a play disc.

If more games made you switch out between disc 1, disc 2, and disc 3 for actual play and not just during install DVD drives would be a godly and a must have item.

Well I want the spec ed but if I also have to buy a DVD drive just for that Ill just settle with the standard thats also ok.. With MP ofcuz.

Originally posted by Chris_D
Now Floppy Disks... they are becoming obselete. The PC system I've got does't have a floppy disk drive. Most of the machines you see for sale nowadays don't have a floppy drive with it. The thing is too... I've realised that now I haven't had one for about 12 months - I don't need one.

Becoming obsolete?

HA HA HA HA.......

More like I laugh at any moron who still uses that unreliable crap. They practically give away floppy disks whenever I see them. $15 and a $15 rebate bor like 500 of them.

don't people use usb storage instead of disks now-a-days?

£10 for a 64mb usb keychain holds all the work i need to take home

If you dont have a flopy drive how are you going to use a boot disk? you do still need them IMO.

Every computer iv had for years has had a DVD drive im glad HL2 is going to be on DVD since i cant be arsed with a 6 CD set if i can avoid it, its a pain to install.

Originally posted by Jerjerod
If you dont have a flopy drive how are you going to use a boot disk? you do still need them IMO.

Every computer iv had for years has had a DVD drive im glad HL2 is going to be on DVD since i cant be arsed with a 6 CD set if i can avoid it, its a pain to install.

Modern PCs can boot from USB, CD, DVD and even LAN....

Even windows xp boots from the cd...

God knows why it took them so long to figure that out!

Enterprise Ghost floopy bootdisks are still often used around corporate environments. Of course you can do the same with a boot-cd or just use a boot partitition but it really is more convenient to use a floppy for this atm.

Apart from that though there really is no reason to use 'em. OS's can be installed from isos or bootable cds, and work can be sent through e-mail, or copied to CD, DVD, USB HDD, or a flash keyring.

Originally posted by Chris_D
And where does it say it'll be on DVD ONLY? :rolleyes:

Erm...

"is the special edition of HL2 only going to be on DVD"

how about there?

I watch movies on my computer almost exclusively because I'm a poor college student with no tv. And in my dorm room my monister is only 3 feet away from a couch under my lofted bed. Almost all college students that I know watch movies on their computer most of the time (unless there are a lot of people watching, then we go to the trouble of getting a bunch of cables and running them from someones room to a TV in the common room). So some people do use their computers for movies all the time.

Originally posted by phantomdesign
So you know nothing about bootable CDs? What closet have you been hiding in?

ofcorse i do im running windows XP its just boot dists are much easyer to make and use.

screw special edition i'll just download the footage i'll only watch it once.

Back